Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious why there are not any rumors that we are talking to Mayo. He may be asking for a lot of money, but I am sure he would consider a starting salary of $5M or so with a long term commitment from a team like Chicago. He is a decent scorer, defender, young, SG and unrestricted.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Actually, there are rumors: http://www.csnchicago.com/basketbal...ulls-show-interest-in-OJ-Mayo-?blockID=740440

I agree the Bulls are a longshot. The standard MO for young players like him are to, a) take the biggest offer, and/or b) go to the team with the most playing time/biggest role. A winning situation is more what the vets look for, not young players looking to prove themselves and get their first big payday.

I say this with zero knowledge of OJ's thinking however.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I'd love for us to take a chance on Mayo but I share R-Star's skepticism that 5 million will be enough to get him. He'd be useful for us as a guy that can handle the ball and create for himself a bit.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
he is an ok option for the money he'd command.

he's a good defender and he can score and create for others...but he does not do it at a level worth what he wants on a good team...but on a poor team he is certainly worth the money because he would get you 20 and 5 .

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe we will have an exception with the Korver trade. Save the exception and talk to memphis for a sign and trade.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
Rumors have Memphis interested in Wayne Ellington and are determined to get him.

The Korver deal has been verbally agreed to, but it hasn't been finalized yet. We could work a 4 team deal with Memphis and Minnesota where we get Mayo. He could get a 4/28 million contract from us in that instance.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Rumors have Memphis interested in Wayne Ellington and are determined to get him.

The Korver deal has been verbally agreed to, but it hasn't been finalized yet. We could work a 4 team deal with Memphis and Minnesota where we get Mayo. He could get a 4/28 million contract from us in that instance.
Pipe dream at this point.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
I always thought Mayo made a ton of sense on the Bulls.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Next to Rose, he'd be a good fit. This is why they've gotten rid of Korver, Brewer and Watson, and are looking to move Hamilton. If they can lose Hamilton, they'll be able to offer the full-MLE to Mayo. By dealing away Korver for nothing, they also have a trade exception they can use to try to acquire Courtney Lee from the Rockets in exchange for draft picks.

Hinrich
Mayo/Lee
Deng
Boozer
Noah

That's a solid starting lineup to go into the season with, while you wait for Rose's return. The problem is that almost the entire bench will have to be filled out by minimum-salaried players.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
A little more momentum to this idea over the weekend from what I can tell... rumors are that we're going to go out of our way to try to accommodate bringing Mayo on board. I'll remain a skeptic until I see something real but hopefully we're aggressively pursuing something like this since we desperately need another ball handler/shot creator.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
A little more momentum to this idea over the weekend from what I can tell... rumors are that we're going to go out of our way to try to accommodate bringing Mayo on board. I'll remain a skeptic until I see something real but hopefully we're aggressively pursuing something like this since we desperately need another ball handler/shot creator.

I've been pretty annoyed so far that the Bulls seem content to let assets walk to minimize tax payments. In my mind, if you're going to pay some tax anyway, which looked to be inevitable (certain scenarios to the contrary notwithstanding), then what the hell, you might as well bring the bench mob back on their 1-year options. However, if the Bulls shed those guys but end up with a potential long-term fit at SG in Mayo, I'll be pretty happy about this offseason.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts

"Determined" to get Wayne Ellington is a bit strong.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Mayo has agreed to sign with Dallas. Bulls did it again - standing still.

·
Ethical Hacker
485 Posts
When I heard the rumors that the Bulls were interested, I knew he'd end up in Dallas. Cuban has been aggressive this offseason (as usual) while Chicago's front office has been milquetoast.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
When I heard the rumors that the Bulls were interested, I knew he'd end up in Dallas. Cuban has been aggressive this offseason (as usual) while Chicago's front office has been milquetoast.
Tell me what Chicago could have done to sign him?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts