Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you looking for tonight?

I'm interested to see Danny Green. He's really shot up the recruiting lists. Want to know if that's only because he signed with Carolina or if he's the real deal.

Also, excited to see Tyler in the post.

I believe Duke's got three studs and I'm eager to see just how good McRoberts is because over the last year he's jumped over Tyler in the rankings.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Surprisingly, I'm looking forward to seeing Bobby Frasor. I watched tape on him today - first time I've seen him. Dude has picture perfect form. Doesn't shoot exactly like Redick and I don't know if he has the range, but he's a shooter. Can shoot off the screen, off the dribble, and if you get too close he'll take ya to the rack... Obviously looking forward to McRoberts and Paulus. Hopefully Paulus' national basketball tv debut is better than his natonal football debut. :hurl: I have a feeling Boateng isn't gonna be too hot. Hopefully I'm wrong... Oh, I'm also looking forward to seeing Hansbrough. Only saw highlights of his game vs. Oden earlier this year on ESPN... Out of conference - Louis Williams. Guy won't step foot on the UGA campus. Also watched tape of him today for the first time. Yikes! Can shoot, dribble, jump, etc. He is the real deal. He was playing on some floor with an NBA line - dude shot from straight on like it was no big deal. Saw another in bounds play where they stacked it, set a screen for him, lobbed it to him, and he dunked on a dude. two handed. Pretty amazing stuff.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Frasor was a bit disappointing. He played the SG spot on his HS team. They said he'd be takin over for Felton. Hmmm.... Hansbrough just dunks a lot. But I'm sure he can do more. He'll be good, especially once he gets in the weight room.... As for the Dukies.... WOW! Paulus is Wojo only better. Love his hustle. Love his passing. Never saw him shoot. Wait, I saw him shoot once. Not so hot, but he was like 9-10 from the line. McRoberts is just the man. Sorry, I don't feel like breaking down his game. He's just good.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I like what I saw from McRoberts and Paulus in this game. I will look forward to watching them play for Duke next year and will be cheering for them. They could become a very nice college twosome for years.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Kunlun said:
I like what I saw from McRoberts and Paulus in this game. I will look forward to watching them play for Duke next year and will be cheering for them. They could become a very nice college twosome for years.
their whole class is balanced and they all will probably be there at least 2 or 3 years. the guys who werent there last night, pocius and boykin are also pretty highly thought of.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
isn't paulus also one of the top quarterbacks in this year's class?

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
yes, but from watching the army all-american football game, you'd never know it. he chose Duke over ND & Syracuse football.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Paulus is playing football and basketball in college?? If he is then, god damn he is awesome.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very impressed with McRoberts. The Dookies won the battle. I liked what I saw out of Danny Green, but I noticed the McRoberts-Paulus chemistry from the start. Tyler and Bobby will need to work on it some.

Gerald Green obviously saw what JR Smith did last year and tried to emulate the same type of performance.

I felt bad when McCormick brought up the Who's the Next Hated Duke player about Paulus but talking to my some friends he is the next guy in that line: Laettner, Wojo, Reddick, Paulus. If he's playing both sports I hope he has better luck with injuries than Ron Curry has.

Coach K has to like what he sees in his future. Also gotta like the fact UNC is probably going to lose everybody.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
mateer said:
Coach K has to like what he sees in his future. Also gotta like the fact UNC is probably going to lose everybody.
:laugh:

It's quite possible. My roommate and I were arguing the merits of that situation actually happening. Quite frankly, UNC could lose there top 6 guys to the NBA! What does that leave UNC with?

1)Rashaun Terry
2)Quentin Thomas
3) 2 White guys
4)Noel ( I'm not sure if he is a senior )
5)The Frasor guy coming in.

Is Carolina bringing in any other recruits beside Frasor? ( I'm sure they are. Duke has 3 other recruits they are bringing in besides Paulus and McRoberts ) Better Question: Is Carolina bringing in any other *noteworthy* recruits next year?

As far as the game goes, Paulus and McRoberts looked like a great pair together. McRoberts is a nice talent, but he needs at least 2 years before he heads to the NBA -- if that does indeed happen. Paulus probably won't bolt for the league unless he has an incredible sophmore, or junior season.

McRoberts runs the court very well. Has great vision on the low block. Decent Shot-Blocker. He needs to work on his low-post moves (doesn't have many), and his overall skill. (Mid-Range game, dribble, help defense etc. ) Nonetheless, great potential. :)

Paulus has all the intangibles that you like in a point guard. He see's the floor outstandingly well. He has good speed and quickness. Good knowledge on the court. ( Doesn't turn the ball over much ) Has a big body for a point guard. He hustles after all loose balls...i.e. cheerleader incident in the game :laugh:
Paulus is a prototypical Coach K point guard. Duke sorely needed one this year.

Paulus won't start immediately. He might not even crack the starting lineup at all next year. Dockery will take that honor, rightfully. But if Dockery isn't playing up to Coach K's standards, then look for Paulus to contribute on the court with his play.

...Wow, that's been awhile...:)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UNC brings in Tyler Hansborough (see him as a future Raef LaFrentz--plays real hard but outclassed by McRoberts), Danny Green who did alright, Frasor, and another guy named Ginyard who just had a great all star game in Richmond Virginia.

Their lineup could be anybody's guess:
maybe...
Hansborough
Terry
Quentin
Noel
and Frasor.

Though, if you want to believe (and I don't) what the players are saying:
-May is definitely back (the Heels are still a top 25 team with him)
-Marvin plays out his second year (but I've heard he's backing off that two year promise or a least his dad is).
-McCants definitely comes back (cites his sister being a freshmen and always said even in the Doh! era he wanted to play four years).
-Jawad graduates, if he comes back it's just as a fan. Needs another big game in my opinion if we are to still count him as a draft pick. I think his injury and inconsistency has played him off the board.
-Felton comes back (again has said he'd want to play four but also has hinted at other ideas even as early as his freshmen year when he supposedly was one and done)

My best guess is May is the only one that comes back if anybody does. I think if they win all four underclassmen go. If they don't maybe two stay and next likely is all four. I can see Felton as such a competitor wanting another shot. I think Marvin's out unless they all agree to come back and get it done (thus four is more likely than three). They'd be a better team next year than this year:

May
M. Williams
Hansborough
McCants
Felton
plus... Q, Terry, Frasor, Green, Ginyard, Noel

One thing I fear and I think is most likely is next year is one of Roy's worst seasons in 20 years.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Luckily the ACC is down next year.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
mateer said:
I think if they win all four underclassmen go.

One thing I fear and I think is most likely is next year is one of Roy's worst seasons in 20 years.
Those are my thoughts. (That's probably what everyone else is assuming as well. )

Now that you bring up the possibility of Roy having the worst season of his career this next one; what was his worst season, coaching and record wise?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At Kansas:

Year W L Pct. Postseason
1988-89 19 12 .613 ----
1989-90 30 5 .857 NCAA Tournament, Second Round
1990-91 27 8 .771 NCAA Final Four, Second Place
1991-92 27 5 .844 NCAA Tournament, Second Round
1992-93 29 7 .806 NCAA Final Four
1993-94 27 8 .771 NCAA Tournament, Sweet 16
1994-95 25 6 .806 NCAA Tournament, Sweet 16
1995-96 29 5 .853 NCAA Tournament, Elite Eight
1996-97 34 2 .944 NCAA Tournament, Sweet 16
1997-98 35 4 .897 NCAA Tournament, Second Round
1998-99 23 10 .697 NCAA Tournament, Second Round
1999-00 24 10 .706 NCAA Tournament, Second Round
2000-01 26 7 .788 NCAA Tournament, Sweet 16
2001-02 33 4 ..892 Final Four (lost in semifinals)
2002-03 30 8 .789 Final Four (lost in finals)
Totals 418 101 .805 NCAA Tournament: 34-14

Last year UNC won 19 games and lost 11. You will notice only his first season at Kansas was worse: 19 and 12. It'd be a pretty good bet that he won't get to 19 and the losses might approach 12. Though the ACC I guess will be open.

I wonder if they hadn't won last night and they end up being miserable next year if some idiots would start calling to fire Ole Roy?

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Of course there would have been some people who would've been callin for his head. And like you said, it would have been the "idiots" who don't really understand how hard it is to win a nat'l championship... They'll be young, but they'll be fine. Their recruits aren't too shabby, and Roy Williams is one of the best in the game.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like what Carmelo said at the Syracuse event his title year. I think if all the other guys go, May will jump ship too. He's the last domino but he can still tumble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts