Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the praise forward Antonio McDyess heaps on the Pistons' new style of offense, he admits for him it has been a tough transition.

"Basically, I'm not really hitting the shots right now like I used to," McDyess said. The Pistons' sixth man has averaged 4.3 points over the first four games and is shooting just 34%.

In the past, McDyess found his comfort on the floor by working his way from the inside out. He got hot with his shot from close range before stepping back to try his jumper.

"Now, it's like the opposite," he said. "It's kind of tough for me to adjust to that. It'll come. It's only four games. I'm not going to get discouraged, I'm just going to keep on going with the flow and just try to work myself into it. The way we're scoring, why change anything?
it would be wise for Flip to get him some touches on the block instead of getting him the ball on the elbows. The power forwards on our team are getting the ball where KG usually gets it, but they don't have the ability of Garnett, so in turn their scoring output hasn't been that great. Luckily for us they are both capable passers, with Sheed being a great passer for a man his size. Regardless it's early in the season and I expect Dice's shot to start falling as well as Flip to write up some plays for him that get him closer to the basket.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think Dice needs to get it on the baseline extended, he rarely missed from there last year. He needs some confidence baskets to get goin just like everyone else.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If I was going to worry about mcdyess I would only be worried about his knees. The way this guy has played since coming to detroit has really surprised me. He will be fine, he is struggling with his shot at times but he is still banging the boards and distributing well out of the post. His average will be back near .500 by regular season's end.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
DetroitDiesel said:
If I was going to worry about mcdyess I would only be worried about his knees. The way this guy has played since coming to detroit has really surprised me. He will be fine, he is struggling with his shot at times but he is still banging the boards and distributing well out of the post. His average will be back near .500 by regular season's end.
His knees are nothing to worry about as he is 100 percent healthy since coming to Detroit. I am worried about him shooting that 20 footer he keeps getting.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
DetroitDiesel said:
I agree with Kamego. His knees are of no concern to me at all. With knee injuries (and as someone suffering from Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome, I do know) you tend to suffer any re-occuring injuries within a year or so. After that, if you aren't having problems, 9 times out of 10 it means that the surgery was a success and you only have as much worry as the next guy.

I'm more worried about him finding his stroke and Flip finding a way to get the bigs into the game more.

-Chris.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
The big thing with him is the fact he never had the same knee injury twice. It leads me to think he was suffering more freak acidents then anything.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think his biggest problem so far has been getting used to the spots on the floor where Flips offense gets him the ball. He regularly hit from the baseline extended last year and usually out to about 15 feet. This year he is getting his shot foulline extended and as far out as 20 feet, this is out of his comfort zone and he is struggling with it. Over time he will adjust and Im sure hell be fine, I would like to see him on the baseline hitting that fade away J he was drilling with consistancy last year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts