Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meehan grades

as seen here

Jarrett Jack: B. Jack has a keen sense of the game. His assist to turnover ratio is off the chart. He had problems against the Bulls but overall has 24 assists to six turnovers.

Sebastian Telfair: C-. Telfair should play faster between the free throw lines and more deliberately in the halfcourt. He presses sometimes. Relax, Sebastian, get to the basket when you can, and throw the ball to the open man. His grade might be a bit harsh but much is expected of one so talented.
its funny, altho I understand that better grades don't equate better player, but I wouldn't put the difference in grades that far apart.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Brian Meehan Article

Meehan's Article Here

What's the point of writing this? Grading players, offense, and defense after SIX games??? Thats kind of a weak foundation for writing dont you think?

Now maybe I'm just biased towards Oregonian articles at this point (can ya blame me?) But it seems like its just a weak excuse to critisize all sorts of aspects of the team.

I just dont like that he wrote it....there's no point.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Re: Meehan grades

Meehan's a tough grader. Absolutley nobody expected this team to be at .500 at this point in the season, and they could easily be 5-1, but no one gets better than a B? I'd agree that there's ample room for improvement, but at the very least I'd give McMillan an A- for getting these young guys to be a functional team so quickly into the season.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Hap is right about Telfair and Jack. I would have reversed the grades.
Last night Telfair was brillient at times.

We saw gimpses of a very great player. The one stretch where the defense kicked in and they began to run was shades of the chanpionship year. And agian the Kersey years.

This team can become great, I believe.

And another thing, the learning curve is far beyond where I expected so soon in the season. Nate should have gotten an A.

gatorpops

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts

I don't know I find it interesting, what exactly is he grading them on?

Obviously Nate sees that Telfair is more vital to team success at this point or he wouldn't have plugged him back in in closing minutes after going down to some form of injury and actually limping back out to the scorers tabel after a trip to the locker room.

To me as of right now Telfair clearly runs the team better, the offense flows and in a weird way his quickness actually spreads the floor, giving other players opportunities to get open. But the all important assist to turnover ratio seems to be the difference in Meehans mind.

·
Registered
568 Posts

Like I said in another post, I dont understand the point of writing this article. Especially only 6 games into the season. It just seems like an excuse to rail against the team.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts

I think Meehan didn't grade them with respect to early-season predictions, but rather actual-season standings. They're .500, so their grades reflect that. I don't have a problem with his grades.

That said, it's WAY too early for these columns. 1/4 Season, midseason and post-season are the only times we should see grades (and 1/4 season grades are up for debate).

·
Registered
6,397 Posts

I'm fine and dandy with them both on the roster. I don't know why some seem to make it a competition between the two. If they can coexist, then let them. So far they've done fairly well together.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts

Brian Meehan said:
Sergei Monia: C. Monia has shown glimpses of solid play. But he must stay aggressive. He started Wednesday, played almost six minutes and never touched the ball. It ain't soccer, Sergei, you can use your hands. .
This is idiotic.

How's he going to pass the ball to himself?

·
Registered
5,731 Posts

Nice that Monia and the guys have Meehan as their teacher.

I'm sure the success of this season is balanced precariously on their grasp of his coaching insights.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts

Good article. I thought Meehan was correct about everything, but I partially agree with the above sentiment that it seems a little early to be giving out grades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts