Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is a player bio from the Xavier site. Drew Lavender will be a Muskie next year. He will be a junior in eligibility but a senior in real time. He was a McDonald's All American, the first such player in Xavier history.

He started for two years for Oklahoma. He decided to come back closer to home (Columbus). During the time that he played there, a Xavier point guard transfered to Oklahoma. The transfer was a Prosser recruit who was shown the door by Thad Matta in lieu of Dedrick Finn. Everything happens for a reason.

This fine gentleman will be starting at the point for us next year. Smell the Glove.

===========================================

AS A MUSKETEER...a transfer from Oklahoma who will practice this season with the Musketeers...will have two seasons of eligibility left beginning in the 2006-07 season...first former McDonald's prep All-American in XU history.

2004-05 SEASON AT OKLAHOMA (AS A SOPHOMORE)...averaged 9.7 points, 3.2 assists and 1.6 steals in 27.9 minutes per game under head coach Kelvin Sampson...started in 28 of his 32 games ...shot .344 from 3-point range and made 45 treys ...converted multiple 3-point attempts in 12 games ...posted a .795 free throw mark (made 26 of his last 30) ... averaged 11.8 points in his four games off the bench (his only non-starts at OU) ...scored a season-high 29 points off the bench and hit buzzer-beating, left-handed, six-foot runner off the glass to beat Kansas State 69-68 (Feb. 19)...was 11-for-15 from the field and 6-for-9 from 3-point range in that contest ...made a career-high 12 free throws on 14 attempts and had 17 points in Big 12 Tournament quarterfinals versus Missouri (March 11)...logged back-to-back 20-point games in road wins against Baylor (20 points Jan. 15) and Texas A&M (23 points on Jan. 18)...scored in double figures 15 times ...registered five or more assists six times and handed out seven on four occasions ...came off bench and tied a career high with five steals (all in 11 minutes of first-half play) against Nebraska (Feb. 16).

2003-04 SEASON AT OKLAHOMA (AS A FRESHMAN)...an honorable mention All-Big 12 selection by the AP and Big 12 coaches...named to Big 12's All-Freshman Team...a CollegeInsider.com national all-freshman team selection...only Sooner to start in all 31 games...led team in points (350), assists per game (3.9), steals per game (1.7), 3-pointers (53) and minutes per game (31.4)...ranked second on team with 11.3 points per game and with a .368 3-point field goal mark...led team in scoring nine times and scored in double figures a team-high-tying 18 times ... made 24 3-pointers in final 11 games (2.2 average ...was first freshman ever named Big 12 Player of the Week (Dec. 9) after scoring 14 points and hitting game-winner with a second left against Purdue ... named Big 12 Rookie of the Week Feb. 17 following 31-point, 7-assist, 3-steal performance at Texas A&M...his 31 points were most by an OU true freshman in 20 years (Tim McCalister) ... Was 6-for-10 from beyond 3-point arc and 7-for-8 at foul line at A&M ... scored 20 of his game-high 22 points at Connecticut on Jan. 11 in second half (made five treys after halftime) ...tallied 23 points versus Jackson State on Dec. 20...scored 16 of his game-high 19 points against Nebraska in Big 12 Tournament quarterfinals after halftime ... handed out a career-high eight assists and registered five steals in home win over Texas A&M...also registered five thefts Dec. 2 versus Arkansas-Pine Bluff ...had seven assists two other times ... led team in assists in 22 games including final seven...had at least two steals in seven of last nine games.

HIGH SCHOOL...averaged 18.4 points, 10.7 assists and 4.0 steals per game as a senior...shot .840 from the free throw line and .480 from 3-point range...a consensus top-25 national high school recruit...named a McDonald's All-American and a second-team Parade All-American ...registered 11 points, five assists and four rebounds in McDonald's All-America game...played in the Jordan Capital Classic all-star game in April 2003...helped Brookhaven to 29-2 record and No. 25 final national ranking as a senior...scored 26 points in overtime loss to LeBron James' Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary team...coached at Brookhaven by his late stepfather, Bruce Howard.

PERSONAL...a criminal justice major...born November 6, 1984 in Wichita, Kansas ... parents are Shirlene Howard and Tony Lavender.

http://goxavier.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/lavender_drew00.html

·
Banned
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea who Gary Forbes is. I think that Mr. Lavender is going to be a welcome addition to the squad.

I saw him play in the blue/white scrimmage at the begining of the season. He looked good in my limited experience. I have no idea how well he plays defense. I don’t know that much about him. He has practiced with the team all year, and reports from practice have been very encouraging.

Johnny Wolf will fight to retain the starting spot he held in the last two weeks. I think that Johnny played well for a Freshman, and he ended the year with 63 assists and 23 turnovers. I think that Wolf will contribute to this team and continue to improve throughout the next three years of his Xavier career. His experience this year bodes well for his future.

I expect Lavender to start and for Wolf to come in 15 minutes a game to spell Lavender and Burrell.

I think it is a huge plus. He has two years starting experience at a major program in a major conference. He is a good ball handler who can knock down the outside shot and hit his free throws. He has practiced with us for a full year, and he should be quite familiar with everyone and the system come game 1.

We need to get a guy that can run the show with confidence, a guy who can break defensive pressure with his quickness. We need a guy that can get the ball in the hands of our scorers and do it so that they are in a rhythm when they receive the pass.

We have loads of talent on this team, and the one thing that we have needed for some time is a pure point guard. People are telling me that Lavender is that man. I am excited about having our first McDonald’s All American on the squad as well, coming in as a veteran upper classman.

This is going to be a big step up from Dedrick Finn. I am pumped.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Snipe said:
I just read about Gary Forbes. Sounds like a nice pickup.
yeah... i wasn't trying to knock lavender... just excited to see forbes, bonner, brower, and mayben on the court for us next year.... and the kid from winchendon harris who's been compared to tyrese rice at bc

·
Registered
32 Posts
squidpants said:
I have a bad feeling that this guy is going to join my "most hated Xavier players list," which consists of Kevin Frey, David West, and Stanley Burrell.
Considering Dedrick and I hate an ongoing feud which included a short confrontation at the Marvin Center his Freshman year and him jawing at our section during a game his Sophmore year (I think I was sitting near FQ that game).... He leads the pack. Followed closely by David West, Romain Fago, Kevin Frey and Tyrone Hill (I grew up in an MCC household).

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
nanapmb said:
Romain Fago...
I can't think of one GW plaer I have hated over the years...simply because they don't beat us all that often. But I'm wishing I could think of one, and give him a clever name.

Chris Fagroe, maybe.

·
Registered
321 Posts
DC Muskie said:
I can't think of one GW plaer I have hated over the years...simply because they don't beat us all that often. But I'm wishing I could think of one, and give him a clever name.

Chris Fagroe, maybe.

alexander kohl(sp) is the only GW player i couldn't stand.monroe was a great player that you just disliked because he was good. i like hobbs and how his players play hard for him. shante rogers was one of my favorite GW players.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.