Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After his 14-22 performance he is now up to 42%. Shooting 51% over the last 9 games

Melo was getting alot of criticism when he was shooting an embarassing 38%. But now at 42% as the number one option on a team is much more acceptable.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Melo was getting alot of criticism when he was shooting an embarassing 38%

I dont think he received much criticism at all. The media has never really focused on that. We have had one thread I believe.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
Melo sucks because he's not shooting 50%

Who am I?
Well, now that Peja is no longer shooting 50% I have noticed that 'therealdeal' no longer appears.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

I dont think he received much criticism at all. The media has never really focused on that. We have had one thread I believe.
I am referring to this board, and it came up often in the Lebron-Melo comparisons. BTW, I have no intentions to turn this into a Lebron-Melo thread, purely discussing the merits of Melo that is all.

I am a huge fan of Carmelo, and deep down I was having doubts. After ripping Antoine Walker for years, it was hard for me to completely ignore the 38% - it caused concerns.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I wasn't worried about Melo. He's gonna be alright. Both he and James are going to run the league very soon. My favorite thing about Melo is his tenacity when he takes the ball to the basket. And I like his arrogance.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Both he and James are going to run the league very soon.
I sincerely doubt it. I'll eat my words if that's the case but I simply don't see Melo becoming one of the top 5 players in this league ever, let alone on the same tier of Lebron and one of the two best players in the league in the future.

As for his shooting, he's showing promise. A nine-game stretch of over 50% shooting is impressive, no doubt about it. If he finishes out the season at 42% or better, than he will have had a superior season than what I had him figured for before it started.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kcchiefs-fan</b>!

I sincerely doubt it. I'll eat my words if that's the case but I simply don't see Melo becoming one of the top 5 players in this league ever, let alone on the same tier of Lebron and one of the two best players in the league in the future.

As for his shooting, he's showing promise. A nine-game stretch of over 50% shooting is impressive, no doubt about it. If he finishes out the season at 42% or better, than he will have had a superior season than what I had him figured for before it started.
I think a lot of people believe that because they Melo's game doesn't look like a lot of the top perimeter players playing right now.

But I think regardless, he has that ever mythical "it" that all great ones have. I think we've all been bamboozled for a few years, because there hasn't been a perimeter player since Jordan who has had "it". Lebron and Melo have "it". They aren't just about stats. Though they will have the stats. They are the type of guys who you put on a team and they make that team instantly better just by their prescence. I think it's very possible that they both make the playoffs this year. And if they do it will be 15 years probably before they don't make it.

Winners abound. Melo is special. People forget, he's only 19. His game is going to get a whole lot better. I don't think we've even seen the tip of the iceberg with regards to Melo.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

I think a lot of people believe that because they Melo's game doesn't look like a lot of the top perimeter players playing right now.

But I think regardless, he has that ever mythical "it" that all great ones have. I think we've all been bamboozled for a few years, because there hasn't been a perimeter player since Jordan who has had "it". Lebron and Melo have "it". They aren't just about stats. Though they will have the stats. They are the type of guys who you put on a team and they make that team instantly better just by their prescence. I think it's very possible that they both make the playoffs this year. And if they do it will be 15 years probably before they don't make it.

Winners abound. Melo is special. People forget, he's only 19. His game is going to get a whole lot better. I don't think we've even seen the tip of the iceberg with regards to Melo.
I think it's extremely premature to annoint Melo as having an indescribable "it" quality not seen since Jordan. Remember, guys like Tmac, Iverson, Pierce, and Kobe have come since then. Melo's definitely a solid player and I see him contributing 24, 7, and 3 in his prime, but he doesn't have the qualities that will allow him to be one of the league's absolute best.

His shot is average, he has relatively little athletic ability, he has relatively little lateral quickness, and he is not a tremendous finisher (although far from poor). He also doesn't appear to ever be an elite defensive player. I simply can't grasp the idea that this kid will ever be as good as some of the other players around the league.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts

His shot is average, he has relatively little athletic ability, he has relatively little lateral quickness, and he is not a tremendous finisher (although far from poor).
Myths. Melo, while not a freak athlete in the class of Lebron, is very athletic. Certainly moreso than Magic, Larry, and others who were great. When he goes to the basket he goes hard. I think you'll see him fill out more in the coming years and become something like a taller Charles Barkley. I think his forte, when he realizes it, will be rebounding and scoring with a touch of playmaking. I think there's a reason that Melo is clearly Charles favorite rookie. I think Barkley sees a lot of himself in Melo's style of play. And I see it too.

But we will have to wait a few years more to see for sure.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

Myths. Melo, while not a freak athlete in the class of Lebron, is very athletic. Certainly moreso than Magic, Larry, and others who were great. When he goes to the basket he goes hard. I think you'll see him fill out more in the coming years and become something like a taller Charles Barkley. I think his forte, when he realizes it, will be rebounding and scoring with a touch of playmaking. I think there's a reason that Melo is clearly Charles favorite rookie. I think Barkley sees a lot of himself in Melo's style of play. And I see it too.

But we will have to wait a few years more to see for sure.
Those aren't myths, those are truths. I've seen the kid play a ton and that's what I'm basing this off. Sure he's a better athlete than Bird, but Larry had an unbelievable shot, was a phenomenal passer, and had the intelligence, fundementals, toughness, and demeanor to rival ANYBODY to ever pick up a basketball. And I certainly don't see Melo as being more athletic than Magic, but even so, Magic had distinguishable characteristics that made him the greatest PG to ever play the game. I don't think Melo has any such characteristics.

I really don't see much Barkley in Melo, I think the prevalent comparison of Glenn Robinson is actually pretty damn accurate. Barkley was one of a kind, I've never seen anyone quite like him and probably never will. Melo's a good rebounder but he doesn't rebound the same way Chuck did, and certainly isn't at the same level as Sir Charles.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think Carmelo gets lost in the Lebron hype and people forget hes only 19. If it werent for Lebron, this guy would be getting the hype as the future of the league.

Right now, I think hes better than Lebron. Lebron has an obvious advantage at passing, but Carmelo is a better scorer and rebounder, and is the best player on a playoff team in the west. Carmelo isnt soft either, this guy is fierce and has a competitive edge and arrogence to him. Thats something I havent seen as much from Lebron.

Lebron is the future, but make no mistake, Carmelo is right there with him.

People forget, only 5 months seperate them.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I really don't see much Barkley in Melo, I think the prevalent comparison of Glenn Robinson is actually pretty damn accurate. Barkley was one of a kind, I've never seen anyone quite like him and probably never will. Melo's a good rebounder but he doesn't rebound the same way Chuck did, and certainly isn't at the same level as Sir Charles.
I dont see Barkley either, but I dont see Grob. I see a player who has similar skills to Grob, but a player with the tenacity of Barkley. Melo also has more athletic ability and quickness then Grob and will probably end up being a better shooter. I've NEVER seen Grob thrown down the nasty dunks that Melo did tonight, and that kind of thing can carry a player a long way. Especially when Melo is only 19 and has serious skills to go with it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When he shoots 50% or at least close to it for the entire season , then we can talk.

Peja has been stinking it up recently, I hope this is not his usual disappearing act ( which he usually does in April, but at least before he had injuries as excuses ).

Lebron and Carmelo may be running the league soon, but since the NBA has become nothing more than Division II college level league with a lot of money thrown in, who cares.

Most teams in this league wouldn't make the NCAA tournament back in the early 80s NCAA.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!
When he shoots 50% or at least close to it for the entire season , then we can talk.

Peja has been stinking it up recently, I hope this is not his usual disappearing act ( which he usually does in April, but at least before he had injuries as excuses ).

Lebron and Carmelo may be running the league soon, but since the NBA has become nothing more than Division II college level league with a lot of money thrown in, who cares.

Most teams in this league wouldn't make the NCAA tournament back in the early 80s NCAA.
If I was a friend of yours I'd buy you a time machine for your birthday. It must be hell for you, or perhaps you just love to hate the modern day game.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
That dunk he threw down yesterday was just nasty. That gave me a lot more respect for him. I agree that Melo is good as advertised and he has a lot more athleticism than people think. Just because he is pudgy doesn't mean he can't move. He sure makes all these vets look slow.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I have to agree that Melo's athletism is average at best. His skills are also above average, not spectacular. He's a good scorer, and good rebounder, but he's not great. Why would he ever become a great player right?

I think while he may not be the super athlete, or the best skills, he has that charisma. He has leadership, and he's just a natural winner. He wins, simple as that. he just has that quality. He's also got basketball IQ, he's a very smart player. He sees the opponent set up certain defensive plays, and he can just breaks it down with a couple easy moves. He makes the game look so easy. In a way he just outsmarts the other team. That's why he's going to be great.

Larry Bird was never a spectacular athlete either, and while he was a good shooter, what made him better than everybody else was because he knew the game, and because he was a winner, 2 important qualities that melo has. it's the 21st century, games aren't just about skills and athletism anymore, it also about using your head.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
Right now, I think hes better than Lebron. Lebron has an obvious advantage at passing, but Carmelo is a better scorer and rebounder, and is the best player on a playoff team in the west. Carmelo isnt soft either, this guy is fierce and has a competitive edge and arrogence to him. Thats something I havent seen as much from Lebron.
I disagree. I think James is the better player by far. Carmelo lacks the explosiveness to be a star player in the league, and he doesn't have the other skills (shooting, passing) to make up for it. Right now he is a better rebounder than James, but in the future that will change and James will lead him in probably every statistic. And arrogance does not make a player great.

People forget, only 5 months seperate them.
Yes, but Melo went to one year of college, and Bron did not. If Melo had come straight out of H.S. he would not have had the same amount of success.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts