Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They were talking about this on TNT pre-game. And they all agreed, even Magic, that Melo is more deserving of the all-star game than Kobe...

That's a bold statement.

But when you consider what the Denver Nuggets have done this year and how Melo has played...is it really that out there?

Who do you think, just based upon this season, is more deserving of being in the all-star game?(Obviously this is purely hypothetical because they don't play the same position, and it's possible that both could make it).

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I was really surprised to hear them agree that Carmelo has played better than Kobe this season... Kobe's not having a great season, but he's still been a lot better than Carmelo. I think Carmelo is becoming somewhat overrated.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Melo is a rookie, he'll be there soon. Kobe should and will be at the all-star game.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I don't think Carmelo will ever be better than Kobe, except maybe when he's 30 and Kobe's 35 or whatever. Carmelo will be a tier below.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Kobe is more deserving this season....i dont agree with the second tier comment.. i see carmelo bein an elite player, top tier, in 2 or so years

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
I don't think Carmelo will ever be better than Kobe, except maybe when he's 30 and Kobe's 35 or whatever. Carmelo will be a tier below.
Exactly. I don't see Anthony as a Bryant/McGrady type of talent. I saw James and Anthony as clearly divisible talent...James with the potential to be superior to Bryant/McGrady, Anthony being a cut below Bryant/McGrady.

The better comp for Anthony, among wingmen, is Paul Pierce. Not in terms of style of game, but in terms of talent.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Carmelo will NEVER be at the level of Kobe.

Kobe and Tracy are at a certain level along with Garnett, Duncan, Shaq that only few people will reach. The only person I see from this rookie class reaching that level in a few years is LeBron, definetly not Carmelo though.

Then they're players like Pierce, Carter, Kidd, Webber, Iverson, Baron(I may be missing a few)who are a notch below that level. Though there are players like Carter, who have the talent to be on that top notch level, but lack something, in Carters case; killer instinct and mental strength.

Carmelo has the potential to be on that second level, though many people question in 'Melo can lead a franchise. I'm still questioning that, though I think he is the biggest reason for the Nuggets sudden success this year, he has a lot of help.

But theres no way, Carmelo will be on Kobe's level, arguably the best player in the league. He does not have the talent to do so. I'm by no means a Carmelo hater, he's one of my favourite players, I'm just saying whats true.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Exactly. I don't see Anthony as a Bryant/McGrady type of talent. I saw James and Anthony as clearly divisible talent...James with the potential to be superior to Bryant/McGrady, Anthony being a cut below Bryant/McGrady.

The better comp for Anthony, among wingmen, is Paul Pierce. Not in terms of style of game, but in terms of talent.
That's exactly how I see it too.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think Carmelo will be a top 3 player in the league sometime in his career, and thats something I dont think Kobe will ever be. A lot of you seriously underestimate Carmelos ability, hes very physical, has a nice finesse game to go with a nice power game. Hes intense, and I've seen him perform very well in the clutch this season. Hes got a nice outside shot too, his numbers may not show that, but hes got the touch and just needs to be consistent with it. Hes only 19 too which is amazing. If it werent for Lebron James being better at a younger age, this guy Carmelo would be getting a lot more hype as the future of the league.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
I think Carmelo will be a top 3 player in the league sometime in his career, and thats something I dont think Kobe will ever be able to say.
too late.

kobe was voted #2 in the league in a poll of gm's last year.

i don't see melo being in kobe's class, but i don't think many have been at that level. at his peak, he'll be a better rebounder and that's it.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kflo</b>!
kobe was voted #2 in the league in a poll of gm's last year.
That doesnt speak for the majority.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
what group would have greater credibility?

it's certainly fair to say that at points of his career, already, he's been considered a top 3 player.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I dont think it is fair to compare Melo to Kobe's best because I still dont think we've seen Kobe at his best. Kobe needs to go to his own team and get cleared of the rape charges first, then we might see his best.

That being said, I dont ever see Melo at that level. Not sure why, just dont. I agree with the lower level thing.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
last year in my opinion the 3 best players were Duncan, KG, and Shaq. Kobe was not top 3 last year.

i could easily see carmelo on Kobe's level later in his career. Carmelo has an inside/outside game only others can dream of. I see him as an elite player

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kflo</b>!
what group would have greater credibility?

it's certainly fair to say that at points of his career, already, he's been considered a top 3 player.
I dont think its ever been set in stone. I think KG, Shaq and Duncan have been set in stone as the top 3 for 2-3 years. Before that, Kobe wasnt a top 3 player by any means.

It could be argued guys like Iverson, Tmac and Vince have been top 3 at times in their career, but in reality thats just kind of foolish.

I'm sure Kobe gets a lot of the credit that he does as a top player because of the team he plays on, and how much he contributes to a championship team. I dont change my opinion because NBA GMs vote something, especially since GMs are usually more business men than extremely knowledgable basketball fans.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
the thread was about who should be there between kobe and carmelo. whats the point? they play differant positions. the argument should be does melo make it over guys like zach randolph or andrei kirilenko. my forwards would be;
k.g.
duncan
peja
randolph
dirk

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think in terms of what they mean to their team, Melo has at times this year been more important to Denver than Kobe has been for the Lakers thus far this season.

Granted, if you are factoring in the Kobe who averaged 40 points for a string last year, then Melo can't even be in the same sentence...but just on this year I think Melo has played better on the whole.

That Denver-LA game of a week ago...Melo was manhandling Kobe and the Lakers.

I think Melo has been underrated in terms of what he will be capable of in the future. We get so caught up in the greatness of Lebron that we forget that Melo is probably the best rookie to come out since Duncan and Iverson. Kid is a baller.

He will be top 5 for a long time. His combition of finesse and power...and just general understanding of how to play the game is very advanced.

Melo is ahead of where Kobe was at 19 mentally.

It would be fun to see Kobe vs Melo in the first round this year.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts