Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/8358381

April 5th:
Grizzlies general manager Dick Versace unexpectedly and abruptly resigned his post, a development announced by the team Sunday but one that occurred late last week, The Commercial Appeal learned.

Versace left to pursue other professional opportunities, according to a statement released by the Grizzlies following halftime of their game against the Lakers. But the timing of his exit appears curious given this is the final season of Versace's five-year contract with the club.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_3689300,00.html

April 10th:
Dick Versace confidants report this as the reason he left the general manager's post with the Griz before his contract expired at the end of the month: Versace apparently wanted to be available for opportunities with Toronto, Cleveland and Milwaukee -- each of which are expected to change management. Versace's departure is no surprise. He was told upon team president Jerry West's arrival that he would finish his contract and go. Besides, the cost-cutting Griz (expect them to trim fat on the business side, too) have plenty of ways they could spend $2 million rather than on a toothless GM.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
I don't really buy into any of that. They were just naming teams that they think were going to have job opportunities available in the GM position. That source wouldn't know a thing about the Raptors management situation, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
"he's 65 years old and is building what he describes as a "retreat home with a lake" west of Canton, the former Bradley basketball coach isn't ready to say he's retiring.

"At some point, you ask yourself, 'When do you live life?' " Versace said.

^doesn't sound like he'd be the most committed guy in the world

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
i HIGHLY doubt that we will have a new gm, he might come on as something else but i doubt it

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Budweiser_Boy said:
Keep this fool as far away from Toronto as possible. He went on TV rambling about how the Raptors were gonna move just like the Grizzlies when Vince bolts through free agency. If he joins the Raptors, all of us are gonna be cheering for a team in St. Louis.
did he really say that???

not like Rob is going anywhere anyways, but if Embry gets the presidents job theres going to be TONS of rumours (and Embry getting the Prez job is probably a silly rumour itself lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts