Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Memphis is another that will have trouble finding enough minutes for players who deserve to play, and needs to pick who they will develop as a nucleus. The favorites are probably Gasol, Gooden, Battier, and Giricek at this point. Having both Person and Dickerson around for long doesn't make sense--even though their games are different and actually complementary, there aren't enough minutes on the floor to go around.

What if, at the trading deadline, Memphis sent Dickerson and Stromile Swift to Philadelphia for Derrick Coleman? It's a terrible trade from some obvious perspectives, but Coleman's contract expires next summer. The Grizzlies could enjoy his rebounding and post-up game for a few months, and then either bring him back on the cheap or else let him go and have more salary space to play with than they would otherwise (maybe allowing them to pursue an upgrade at the point guard spot!). The 76ers could use the young athleticism of Swift and Dickerson, and Dickerson could be a great scoring sixth man for them.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jericho</b>!
Memphis is another that will have trouble finding enough minutes for players who deserve to play, and needs to pick who they will develop as a nucleus. The favorites are probably Gasol, Gooden, Battier, and Giricek at this point. Having both Person and Dickerson around for long doesn't make sense--even though their games are different and actually complementary, there aren't enough minutes on the floor to go around.

What if, at the trading deadline, Memphis sent Dickerson and Stromile Swift to Philadelphia for Derrick Coleman? It's a terrible trade from some obvious perspectives, but Coleman's contract expires next summer. The Grizzlies could enjoy his rebounding and post-up game for a few months, and then either bring him back on the cheap or else let him go and have more salary space to play with than they would otherwise (maybe allowing them to pursue an upgrade at the point guard spot!). The 76ers could use the young athleticism of Swift and Dickerson, and Dickerson could be a great scoring sixth man for them.
I honestly wouldnt have any qualms about this trade but Swift and Dalmebert are close in skill sets, so I wouldnt be certain the sixers would do that

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Spartanfan2003</b>!
LOL! this sux, our staring SG and the #2 pick in the 00 draft for a fat old lazy back up PF! Sure EVERYONE dump ALL your bad players on Memphis!
... says the person who suggested earlier that the league should put 18 teams in one conference and 12 teams in the other conference when the league re-aligns in 2004-05.

I have actually considered a deal like this before, and it makes a ton of sense. No doubt the Grizz want to dump the salaries of Michael Dickerson, Lorenzen Wright, and Jason Williams AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. And, the fact that Stromile Swift is not touching the floor tells you how high Jerry West is on this guy. My guess is that West doesn't want to play him because he doesn't want him to get hurt. If he gets hurt, nobody is going to trade for him.

I'd like to see the team make a couple of moves: a) this trade (Swift and Dickerson for Coleman), and b) a trade with New York in which West dumps Jason Williams and Lorenzen Wright for guys whose contracts expire in a couple of years (Charlie Ward, Travis Knight) and some filler (say, Othella Harrington).

The Grizzlies' nucleus (Gasol-Gooden-Giricek-Battier) remains intact. Here's the team's starting lineup:

PG Charlie Ward (contract expires in two years)
SG Gordan Giricek
SF Shane Battier
PF Drew Gooden
C Pau Gasol

Bench:

Derrick Coleman (who obviously won't be re-signed at the end of this season)
Wesley Person (contract expires in two years)
Brevin Knight (contract expires in two years)
Earl Watson
Mike Batiste
Othella Harrington (three years left on his contract, but it's not a huge contract)
Travis Knight (contract expires in two years)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!

And, the fact that Stromile Swift is not touching the floor tells you how high Jerry West is on this guy. My guess is that West doesn't want to play him because he doesn't want him to get hurt. If he gets hurt, nobody is going to trade for him.
Stromile hasn't been playing because he had the flu, not for any other reason.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you, Robyg. Memphis has some exciting players, but too many of them play the same positions and they're not going far with the mix they have. I'd like to see them rebuild around the core they want to develop--even if it looks like they're giving away talent--and position themselves to go after a more dependable point guard and more effective center (even though Williams and Wright surpassed my expectations last year).

I wasn't too surprised to see Swift start last night. He had a good preseason and seems to be poised to start realizing more of his potential. But it's just crazy to keep Gasol, Gooden and Swift on the same team, and Jerry West isn't crazy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Philadelphia is going to let injuries heal and see if they have a winning roster. No more there.

Has Swift put on any weight? If not, he has got to be the skinniest center this side of Marcus Camby. Perhaps he is not defending the center spot, I have not seen them this year.

Memphis needs a selfless veteran point guard and a year or so and they are strong into playoffs. Maybe they should have looked at Mark Jackson. It is not the talent now, it is the experience and raising the level of team play on both ends.

Gasol, Gooden and Battier should be the core, and then just build complimentary players around them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts