Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct me if I'm stupid but...

LeBron James is not an all-star? Why? Did he choose to play in just the rookie game? Did the coaches not think he was good enough? This is absurd if the kid was left off for reasons other then an injury or whatever. Please any information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point MJG but this is the All-star game not the All-NBA team. I thought this All-Star team would be made of all the stars not Kenyon Martin or even Michael Redd. LeBron is more exciting and puts up arguably better numbers. It is almost as if they forgot about him. Who honestly would have guessed LeBron not only started in this game but was left off entirely? I sure wouldn't have.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Re: Correct me if I'm stupid but...

Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!
LeBron James is not an all-star? Why? Did he choose to play in just the rookie game? Did the coaches not think he was good enough? This is absurd if the kid was left off for reasons other then an injury or whatever. Please any information is greatly appreciated.
Who do you think should have been left off in his favor? All the selections (at least in the backcourt) strike me as very legitimate. The only question mark might be Michael Redd, who's been having a fantastic season but is no McGrady or Pierce at this point. But even then, do you put James on ahead of Marbury?

The fact that James has been having far and away the best season of any rookie straight from high school, and in fact easily the best rookie season since Tim Duncan and maybe even since Shaquille O'Neal, doesn't merit him an automatic all-star berth. Neither does the widespread (and understandable) assumption that James is on course to be one of the best players of his era and maybe of all time.

I think it would have understandable if he'd been voted on to the all-star team in his first season, but honestly I think he's a year away in terms of how he stacks up against other backcourt stars in the Eastern Conference.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
Ray Allen, one of my favorite players, did NOT deserve to go. Maggette has played the whole season with great stats.

There should be a rule that if you dont qualify statistically, you cant be in the game. That means Shaq should be out too. And people arguing for Elton Brand should not for that reason.

This is about THIS SEASON, NOT TALENT.

LeBron, my top player, DID have all-star numbers all-around. Look them up. You cant deny it

Does LeBron have a case? No. The other players picked, statistically, are about right with LeBron. Jason Kidd and Michael Redd are who I'm mainly talking about. You say "there cant be an all-star game without jason kidd." And the coaches think this way also. They give guys bids with previous seasons in their mind, which a smart voter shouldnt do. I'm not saying Kidd shouldnt be there, so the example probably applies to Shaq more. No matter how hard you try, you cant get previous season out of your head. Michael Redd deserves it over LeBron. You know why? Because he has better numbers overall, which has a very high correlation with having a good season for your team. Lamar Odom deserves it over Kenyon Martin as well.

So what I'm trying to say is that anyone who says LeBron wasnt close to making it are underground haters or just uninformed people. Saying that he wasnt close is different from saying he probably doesnt deserve it but he was probably the last player out.

I'm all about being fair. I'm not into "oh, this team's doing well, so they MUST have this many all-stars" or "this guys always in the game, he should be there" or "he's a 19 yr old in all-star contention, he has to be there".

It should be: everyone is equal starting this season.

"oh, c'mon, it's for the fans though" - well, let the fans know who exactly are all stars in 03-04.
This is from the reserves thread.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Good point MJG but this is the All-star game not the All-NBA team. I thought this All-Star team would be made of all the stars not Kenyon Martin or even Michael Redd. LeBron is more exciting and puts up arguably better numbers. It is almost as if they forgot about him. Who honestly would have guessed LeBron not only started in this game but was left off entirely? I sure wouldn't have.
His numbers are great for an established veteran, and fantastic for a rookie. And they're absolutely phenomenal for a rookie out of high school.

But again, is he clearly one of the best five backcourt players in the East this season so far, on a level playing field? I would think that the voters (for the reserves) take account of the fact that James is making rookie mistakes (fewer than some folks imagined! but still making them...), and shooting a lower percentage than the established veteran stars who were voted on.

And, as was stated earlier, team won/loss record is taken into account as well.

I DO think that James, and the Cavaliers, will continue to improve throughout the season. I wouldn't be surprised, and in fact I'd be happy, to see Cleveland challenge at the eleventh hour for a playoff spot, and I pretty much expect James to be a shoo-in for the all-star squad next season at this rate.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

But if you analyze the player's SPECIFIC contributions (what that player does, separate from the rest of the team), which go along with their stats, you can see what players deserve it despite the TEAM'S OVERALL performance. There are so many things that come into play during a win. You are taking the easy way out if you first look at the team's record. Put it into numbers. Say a team needs to reach 100% to win a game.

Player A contributes 30% to the win (best for individual on the team)

BUT the rest of the team, coaching staff, team chemistry of player other than Player A only contributes 60% to a win

30 + 60 = 90%, thus the team looses = NOT GREAT TEAM RECORD

Player B contributes 20% to the win (best for individual on the team)

the rest of his team, coaching staff, team chemistry of player other than Player B contributes 85% to the win

20 + 85 = 105%, thus, the team wins by a bit = BETTER TEAM RECORD

In my opinion, Player A deserves to be an all-star more (30% > 20%). Keep in mind that one player very rarely has a ton of influence on the overall team's performance. So even a player the has a team with a loosing record can be performing at all-star level to help his team even if it's not shown in the record.
Here is the reasoning why W-L record is too simple to judge an indivual player's worth. The tough part of my system is to figure the "percentage" a player contributes toward the team. Stats can indeed show this but not completely. Im trying to come up with a statistically correct system to do this. In theory, record doesnt matter at all, but there is a trend that good player on on the good teams - people take this too far though.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Why Coaches say "no" to Lebron and Melo?

any explanations?

bad fg%?

coaches don't know basketball?

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
For LeBron, the coaches will say "He plays great but for a struggling team."

As for Melo, I'm not exactly sure. His team has a winning record, so the argument that "no players from losing teams makes the reserves" does not hold here. In Anthony's case, the coaches felt there were better players to choose.

I wish Melo and Bron could have made it. But it's okay, they should be there next year.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Lebron is a guard in the conference that is packed with superstar guards.

Melo is a forward in the conference that is packed with superstar forwards.

If they had been in opposite conferences, they would have made it.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
The coaches may also want to keep them humble their rookie year. Although LeBron and Melo have played spectacularly, this may be a motivational act from the coaches. Regardless, they'll be the cornerstones of the game for the next decade; they can wait one year.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Cause coaches thought that other players were better/more-worth to be there?

I think so. In Lebron's case... The East guards are strong, even Marbury was left out. The thing that Lebron's team hasnt a good standing does a big affect too, but the main thing I think, that coaches doesnt care if Redd's triple wont be such amazing as Lebron's dunk, they just select the better player and IMHO Redd is better. Lebron surely stands over Martin or Magloire, but positions dont match. Anyway Boozer, Ilgauskas or Odom should have made the way before those two.

Carmelo... West at forward position... :rolleyes: So many players can cry there. Brand, Marion, Randolph, I saw even Grizz fans are whining about Gasol, so its tough for Melo to sneak into it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Why Lebron didn´t make it:
1) Look at his team record. The Cavs are not (realistically) in play-off contention...he might have the stats but he isn´t leading this team anywhere(I mean that for this year)

2) The East is packed with guards...damn! Marbury didn´t make it! That was a lock to start PG for West!!!

Why Carmelo didn´t make it:
I honestly thought he was going to make it...like Barkley predicted...but I guess the possible reasons are:
1) team record...I know the Nuggets are outperforming expectations but still, they look like they´ll grab the 6th seed at best...not bad, but I guess its not impressive enough (Now I know Utah and Seattle are not better...but as I said I really thought he was going to make it)

2)The WEst is packed with forwards...you have KG and Duncan who are locks for the starting positions...that leaves a 25ppg Stojakovic out on the bench...And then there are Kirilenko, Marion, Brand, Randolph, B.Miller, Nowitzki, and ofcourse...Carmelo! I guess he just wasn´t good enough to pass enough of those guys...

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Why not Kenyon Martin? The team is supposed to be made of the top players at each position this season. Behind Jermaine O'Neal, Kenyon Martin has been the best 4 in the East. The only guy on the team I would take out to put in LeBron is Magloire. I think the coaches got the East reserves 100% right.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Well, personally I'm just disappointed that Lebron and Starbury didn't make the team.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ballscientist</b>!
who is more humble? Melo or lebron? pick one.
Honestly, I think LeBron.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts