Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good can LeBron be?

If he's already playing at the "all-star" level at the age of 19, how good can he be after 8 years in the leauge? Everyone talks about it, but no one has put it in words. How Good can/will LeBron be? At LeBron's prime what will his stat line look like?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I think he'll be a lot like Paul Pierce, but with better ball handling and passing ability. Since he has Boozer, the solid post presence that Pierce never had, that should be enough to make Cleveland a team to be reckoned with.

My prediction is, 25 points per game on about 42 percent shooting, 3 turnovers per game, 7 rebounds per game, 6 assists per game, and the leader of a very solid but not great Cavaliers team that comes up short every year in the second or third round of the Eastern Conference Playoffs.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
LeBron could be the best player to ever play, he certainly has the talent to be.

Sometimes I see how good he is, and I forget that he in only 19 years old and how much more potential he has. It's quite scary if you think about it, a 18 year old coming out of high school, and is already one of the best swingmen in the league.

I think a statline like 32.5 pts, 8.5 rbs, 8.5 asts, 2 blks, 2 stls is actually realistic. He could even average a triple-double, though thats almost damn near possible, I think he might be able to do it.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I'd say 25-7-7 and one of the league leaders in steals will be his prime numbers.

Of course, the true success of his career will be based on where he leads his team and how many titles he wins.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
i dont know ey. i firmly believe that superstars are made, not found. Coaches shape their games, and the league and teams give them opportunity to play. Work ethic is a part of it, but ultimately the opportunity to shine is up to them.

Now to my point, i was really high on lebron i really thought there was something special in this kid. But now, with lebron playing 2 guard im not so sure. Why is it that the cavs and silas are trying to shape him into a super scorer. They had so much than a scorer in lebron. Now i fear he'll end up to be just another T-mac or paul piece.

I know lebron was getting tired playing point, so limit his minutes. I really wanted to see this kid play point all season, and develop all aspects of his game. Now he just wonders around the perimeter drives now and then, and will shoot hella steakily.

I really saw our future at 2, with dajuan wagner. If silas wont play wags then i really dont know what to do, its alot of mixed feelings here. because we are winning but at the same time silas is killing whats good for our future. If it were up to me i'd keep lebron at point, have mcinnis as offense up the bench and wags at 2.

It seems like he doesnt seem to care about rebounding or getting his teams involved at the 2 spot. i want to see him hit the D boards and push the ball up more.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shazha</b>!
i dont know ey. i firmly believe that superstars are made, not found. Coaches shape their games, and the league and teams give them opportunity to play. Work ethic is a part of it, but ultimately the opportunity to shine is up to them.

Now to my point, i was really high on lebron i really thought there was something special in this kid. But now, with lebron playing 2 guard im not so sure. Why is it that the cavs and silas are trying to shape him into a super scorer. They had so much than a scorer in lebron. Now i fear he'll end up to be just another T-mac or paul piece.

I know lebron was getting tired playing point, so limit his minutes. I really wanted to see this kid play point all season, and develop all aspects of his game. Now he just wonders around the perimeter drives now and then, and will shoot hella steakily.

I really saw our future at 2, with dajuan wagner. If silas wont play wags then i really dont know what to do, its alot of mixed feelings here. because we are winning but at the same time silas is killing whats good for our future. If it were up to me i'd keep lebron at point, have mcinnis as offense up the bench and wags at 2.

It seems like he doesnt seem to care about rebounding or getting his teams involved at the 2 spot. i want to see him hit the D boards and push the ball up more.
This is a very good post. I just don't see what skills LeBron has to set him apart from the Pierces and T-Macs of the world, except maybe slightly better passing ability. That'll make him very good player, but probably not the best in the game let alone the greatest of all time.

When Larry Bird came into the league, he could drain jump shot after jump shot after jump shot. Bill Russell was a madman in the post, his interior defense like nothing the NBA has ever seen since. To be mentioned in the same breath as the all-time greats, you need a skill that totally sets you apart. Being pretty good all-around just doesn't cut it. Regardless of LeBron's age, I just don't see that kind of potential there, who's to say he isn't just a guy who matured at an earlier age than most other people? What skill does he have that is totally unique in the basketball world?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
This is a very good post. I just don't see what skills LeBron has to set him apart from the Pierces and T-Macs of the world, except maybe slightly better passing ability. That'll make him very good player, but probably not the best in the game let alone the greatest of all time.
Yea, I agree. I used to think Lebron would be a top 10 player of all time when its said and done, but I dont think so anymore. I do think he'll be a top 5 player in the league for many many years. I just think big men dominate basketball and unless Lebron can be an absolute assassin in the clutch like Bird or Jordan, it'll be hard for him to dominate a game like a big man or MJ could.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!

When Larry Bird came into the league, he could drain jump shot after jump shot after jump shot. Bill Russell was a madman in the post, his interior defense like nothing the NBA has ever seen since. To be mentioned in the same breath as the all-time greats, you need a skill that totally sets you apart. Being pretty good all-around just doesn't cut it. Regardless of LeBron's age, I just don't see that kind of potential there, who's to say he isn't just a guy who matured at an earlier age than most other people? What skill does he have that is totally unique in the basketball world?
True that LeBron is extremely mature for his age, but theres tons more potential there.

What sets LeBron apart from most people in the league is that he has unbelievable court vision and passing skills, combined with his scoring ability from almost anywhere on the floor. No one has showed this capabilitys at such a young age. He will certainly improve his game, and when he does that, theres no telling how good he can be. As for being the best player ever to play, I think he has the talent to do so, but I certainly think he'll be the best player in the league given a few years of improvement and maturing. He doesn't necessarly have the one unique skill, but a combination of many different skills.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!
Lebron bad ! Lebron sucks ! Lebron worst player ever ! Lebron can't shoot ! Lebron is KVH ! Mo-om, is supper ready ? Back to Lebron - yeah he sucks ! All NBA players suck ! Except for Tim Duncan, he deserves slightly more than minimum wage . Dammit mom, I told you the Mickey Mouse bib not the Sailor Moon ! Now where was I, oh yeah Lebron is trash ! He should go back in time and get schooled by Magic Johnson and Norm Nixon ! blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
Well at least we got it out of the way...

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
He could be the best ever. Then again, so maybe could Melo or Dwayne Wade or a few others.

If he nails down his outside shot, which some days he's got it, some days he doesnt ... and becomes a force on defense, which is where Jordan really made his mark .. who knows ... he's looking good now. I dont see anyone in the league with more potential for greatness and I really like the pieces that the Cavs team is putting together.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think Lebron has the opportunity to challenge for a Top 5 spot all-time. That means pushing one of Bird, Magic, Wilt, Oscar, or MJ out. Wilt, MJ, and Oscar all have a firm grip on the top 5, and I don't see anyone pushing them out, but I think Lebron has the talent to be better than Magic, definitely. I don't think averaging a triple dub is completely out of the question, although I'll say it's unlikely. My guess is around 28, 9, and 9. My big question is how good a defender he'll be. He's definitely got the ability to be tremendous.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
He could be the best ever. Then again, so maybe could Melo or Dwayne Wade or a few others.
I think saying he could be the best ever might be pushing it, but I suppose it's conceivable. Melo or Wade being the best ever is not, though.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kcchiefs-fan</b>!

I think saying he could be the best ever might be pushing it, but I suppose it's conceivable. Melo or Wade being the best ever is not, though.
It may seem far-fetched, but you never know. In a young career, you don't know who has that insane drive and intensity of a guy like MJ. Greatness in the NBA is also a product of circumstance ... before Kobe's latest transgressions, a lot of people were talking about him being one of the best ever ... nobody ever really talked about that with Tmac even though they are nearly identical players in ability and skill .. but the environment Kobe has been in facilitated winning and exposure much more than McGrady.

I dont think Melo or Wade could be the best ever, but you just never know.

I think most assume there will never be another MJ .. I dispute that, I think there definitely will be and someone possibly even better .. and I think it will be in my lifetime.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
It may seem far-fetched, but you never know. In a young career, you don't know who has that insane drive and intensity of a guy like MJ. Greatness in the NBA is also a product of circumstance ... before Kobe's latest transgressions, a lot of people were talking about him being one of the best ever ... nobody ever really talked about that with Tmac even though they are nearly identical players in ability and skill .. but the environment Kobe has been in facilitated winning and exposure much more than McGrady.
That touches on one of the things Lebron will have to do in order to be considered great. Lebron is good, but greatness is made in the playoffs. Thats why people put Kobe over Tmac, Duncan over KG etc. Jordan and Bird were clutch, they had that intensity that I havent seen in Lebron. I see Lebron having fun out on the court, which is good but most of the greats had a "man on a mission" type game going. Maybe its just an age and experience thing though.

Magic has multiple titles, Bird has multiple titles, MJ, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Russell. In this day and age, you have to win in order to be considered great.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!

That touches on one of the things Lebron will have to do in order to be considered great. Lebron is good, but greatness is made in the playoffs. Thats why people put Kobe over Tmac, Duncan over KG etc. Jordan and Bird were clutch, they had that intensity that I havent seen in Lebron. I see Lebron having fun out on the court, which is good but most of the greats had a "man on a mission" type game going. Maybe its just an age and experience thing though.

Magic has multiple titles, Bird has multiple titles, MJ, Shaq, Hakeem, Duncan, Russell. In this day and age, you have to win in order to be considered great.
It will be very interesting to me to see the Cavs and Nuggets in the playoffs if they both make it. It would be interesting to see how Melo and Lebron can step it up.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

I dont think Melo or Wade could be the best ever, but you just never know.

I think most assume there will never be another MJ .. I dispute that, I think there definitely will be and someone possibly even better .. and I think it will be in my lifetime.
I have no doubt that in time there will be players that could possibly eclipse MJ, Oscar, and Wilt, my personal top 3 (with Wilt clocking in at numero uno). It's ignorant to assume otherwise, that's discrediting the entire future of the basketball world. But we have to take everything into consideration. Can Melo or Wade average a triple double? How about 50 points a game? Or 32, 8, and 8? Wade has exceeded all my expectations, and Melo's played well, but neither have the physical ability to match these guys.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kcchiefs-fan</b>!

I have no doubt that in time there will be players that could possibly eclipse MJ, Oscar, and Wilt, my personal top 3 (with Wilt clocking in at numero uno). It's ignorant to assume otherwise, that's discrediting the entire future of the basketball world. But we have to take everything into consideration. Can Melo or Wade average a triple double? How about 50 points a game? Or 32, 8, and 8? Wade has exceeded all my expectations, and Melo's played well, but neither have the physical ability to match these guys.
Well, I think Wilt is a different story. He was physically way ahead of his time. There probably wont be anyone who is as physically dominant as he was, not to mention he had great skills with that physical dominance. I dont think even Shaq has the level of physical dominance over other players as Wilt did.

I think comparisons to guys like MJ, Magic, Bird, Oscar are a lot more relevant.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
LeBron James stinks because he just air-balled the potential game winner vs. the Lakers. ;)

It is very scary to imagine how good this guy can be. I'm most impressed with his poise, and just his ability to make big plays.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.