Votes: 45 36.3%
  • Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic)

Votes: 15 12.1%
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Vote Rookie of the Year

You can't create a "vote for rookie of the year" thread and tell people that they can't vote for someone.

Emeka Okafor deserves it and he will win it.

·
Registered
182 Posts

i dont think Gordon is as good as Okafor or Howard, but his team is playing great and theyre like 39-22 after their bad start. I give it to Gordon.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts

Ben Gordon is overrated. He's a very clutch shooter, but he plays 24 minutes a game. I'd like him to play like he does in the fourth quarter after playing a 35 minute game. Let's see if he still can score like that when he hasn't been sitting down half the game (even when he's out there, he doesn't play defense anyways). He is able to use all of his energy to scoring in the fourth.

Deng is better than him, and several other rookies.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Lets talk about Emeka Okafor's 43 percent field goal percentage. Slightly better then Gordon's but awful for a big man.

Okafors efg% is 43. Ben Gordon's is 49.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

I thought Okafor had it on lock, but by looking at the stats BG is doing it better in less minutes and in clutch situations leading his team to a better record.

Gordon will be ROY with a close race with Emeka. Howard is doing great also, but his team is struggling and he's somewhat inconsistent.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts

sloth said:
Lets talk about Emeka Okafor's 43 percent field goal percentage. Slightly better then Gordon's but awful for a big man.

Okafors efg% is 43. Ben Gordon's is 49.
So Gordon is a slightly better offensive player this year, and Okafor is hands down a gagillion times better as a defensive player and a rebounder. So Okafor is clearly the more deserving winner.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts

Pan Mengtu said:
Ben Gordon is overrated. He's a very clutch shooter, but he plays 24 minutes a game. I'd like him to play like he does in the fourth quarter after playing a 35 minute game. Let's see if he still can score like that when he hasn't been sitting down half the game (even when he's out there, he doesn't play defense anyways). He is able to use all of his energy to scoring in the fourth.

Deng is better than him, and several other rookies.
Bingo, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way.

I'd go with the guy who has put up the best numbers in heavy minutes and has played the biggest role among rookies for his team. Emeka Okafor.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Sir Patchwork said:

I'd go with the guy who has put up the best numbers in heavy minutes and has played the biggest role among rookies for his team. Emeka Okafor.
you say that Okafor met his expectations which makes him a valid ROY? did ANYONE expect Gordon to be this good? no. and don't be like "I always knew NG was this good!!!! Heheehhe!!" don't waste your breath, no one thought BG would even be in Top 5 of rookies. Gordon went WAY over what was expected of him which wasn't much but he has really excelled.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Ben and Okafor should be co-ROY. Okafor has better numbers overall, but Ben plays a critical role in a playoff team and gets less minutes. His performances make his team win. Leading the league in double digit fourth quarters.

Reactions: Pan Mengtu

·
Banned
7,135 Posts

aftermath said:
you say that Okafor met his expectations which makes him a valid ROY? did ANYONE expect Gordon to be this good? no. and don't be like "I always knew NG was this good!!!! Heheehhe!!" don't waste your breath, no one thought BG would even be in Top 5 of rookies. Gordon went WAY over what was expected of him which wasn't much but he has really excelled.
He was drafted 3rd overall.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts

aftermath said:
Gordon went WAY over what was expected of him which wasn't much but he has really excelled.
Gordon was the 3rd pick in the draft. That says enough about what people expected of him. Expectations shouldn't factor in rookie of the year voting at all anyways.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

3rd pick in that draft is like 15th in another.

:raised_ey

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well, I called Ben Gordon the next Allen Iverson, so I don't know if people didn't already think that Gordon was good.

·
Registered
369 Posts

You cant look at stats based on minutes played. Thats why the per/48min is a faulty stat. The more tiem you play the more mistakes you would make.

If gordon was so fantastic he would play more than 23 minutes. The fact is he cant score a lot if given time since he'll be too tired. Skiles would have him scoring 70ppg if he could, but he cant. He just comes in at the end and gets all the glory.

Okafor or Howard for ROY

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Sir Patchwork said:

How can you say that Emeka Okafor has had a bigger role on his team. Emeka Okafor is an innefficient offensive player thats defense cannot have an impact on his team because everyone else stinks so bad that the other teams can just pounce over them. And is 10 and a half rebounds in 36 minutes on a team with not other good rebounders really a big accomplishment.

Now lets flip that over to Ben Gordon. Ben plays 13 minutes less then Emeka, yet can match his production and even top it. Ben has had 21 double digit 4th quarters and on most likely 90-95 percent of them, the Bulls have converted a win. Without him, the Bulls can win but they would be a brink .500 team rather then a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference which the Bulls will be once they pass the Wiz up in the next week or so.

Now I think for the first time since 1999 that we have Co-Rookie of the years. In 2000 no one really deserved the award so people just voted for whoever. In 2001 Pau Gasol was the clear cut winner, same in 2002 with Amare, and same in 2003 with Lebron. This year there are two people deserving of the award. It seems that fans, media, players, and coaches are split on who should get rookie of the year, fitting on how they both came from the same college.

It doesn't really seem like Dwight is in the race much anymore though.

http://www.nba.com/features/rookie_050331.html

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

sloth said:
How can you say that Emeka Okafor has had a bigger role on his team. Emeka Okafor is an innefficient offensive player thats defense cannot have an impact on his team because everyone else stinks so bad that the other teams can just pounce over them. And is 10 and a half rebounds in 36 minutes on a team with not other good rebounders really a big accomplishment.

Now lets flip that over to Ben Gordon. Ben plays 13 minutes less then Emeka, yet can match his production and even top it. Ben has had 21 double digit 4th quarters and on most likely 90-95 percent of them, the Bulls have converted a win. Without him, the Bulls can win but they would be a brink .500 team rather then a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference which the Bulls will be once they pass the Wiz up in the next week or so.

Now I think for the first time since 1999 that we have Co-Rookie of the years. In 2000 no one really deserved the award so people just voted for whoever. In 2001 Pau Gasol was the clear cut winner, same in 2002 with Amare, and same in 2003 with Lebron. This year there are two people deserving of the award. It seems that fans, media, players, and coaches are split on who should get rookie of the year, fitting on how they both came from the same college.

It doesn't really seem like Dwight is in the race much anymore though.

http://www.nba.com/features/rookie_050331.html
Agreed, except that IMO, Yao and Amare should've been CO-ROY, as well as Lebron and Carmelo.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts

sloth said:
You can't give the worst teams the best draft picks, then hold it against the rookies for playing on bad teams. Bobcats are an expansion team to boot. Emeka Okafor shoots 44% from the field, which is better than Gordon's 42% from the field. I understand Gordon shoots his share of three pointers, so he probably gets the slight edge when considering that.

If we're going to factor in Okafor's field goal percentage, then it's only fair to factor in Gordon's turnovers. He is 5th in the league Per 48 minutes. This brings down Gordon's offensive efficiency some also.

Overall, offensively, I'd call them pretty even all things considered. But when you bring in the defense and rebounding, it turns into a landslide in favor of Okafor.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts