Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merrimack beat UNH 76-72 this afternoon in Durham. Christensen had 22, Odom 20, and Gibbs 10. Awful stat lines for 4 of the 5 starters.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
God,

Two Division Two teams in one week and to think Merrimack was picked to finish 11th in their conference. I'm guessing Herrion must have been going nuts and wishing maybe he stayed in Arkansas. I know from hearing him last week he talked about playing poor man to man defense, is that what happened again today? Also who started?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Was anyone there? Judging from the box score on the UNH Atheletics site, UNH took 51 shots and 39 of them were three pointers (nine of which they made). First of all, that's a lot of three pointers; second of all, that means that they made all 12 shots that were not three pointers?!?!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Seems unlikely, doesn't it? Maybe the boxscore is wrong. Also, how do you get to the foul line 27 times if all you are taking is three pointers?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
UNHFan said:
God,

Two Division Two teams in one week and to think Merrimack was picked to finish 11th in their conference. I'm guessing Herrion must have been going nuts and wishing maybe he stayed in Arkansas. I know from hearing him last week he talked about playing poor man to man defense, is that what happened again today? Also who started?
So I guess that means you are ignoring Bballdog's post on a previous thread about UNH actually not losing to Assumption then...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Ginzo,

It means I was at the coaching clinic and heard Herrion repeat several times losing to Assumption and how awful the kids played defense. Listening to Herrion speak he took that game as a lost and wanted to make sure his players did also. Interesting note from the box score Herrion gets his first T of his time at UNH. I was going to go to the game, but report card grades are due in tomorrow morning so I had to miss it. Did anyone go? Maybe granite?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I saw it. Terribly disappointing first half...pretty good second half. Trailed 14-2 right off the gun, but made a game of it. First half 16 personal fouls and almost as many turnovers. Didn't realize they took that many 3s, but they did have trouble scoring underneath. Anderson appeared to sprain his ankle making a cut fairly early in the game. Crutches at half time, but can't tell how serious it is. If he misses both games this weekend, that would really hurt.

If you are looking for some pluses, the play of both Tyrece Gibbs and Brandon Odom was encouraging. Odom was 4-4 from threes in the first half and ended up 5 of 7. He looks to be in good shape. Gibbs had 10 points, 5 rebounds, an assist and a steal...he looks like he could be a player.

Too many fouls and too many turnovers made it ugly in the first 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I don't think Herrion has the horses to play straight man to man, but that is the type of coach he is, he is not a fan of the zone defense. Eventhough I feel the 1-2-2 is a great defense.

·
Registered
402 Posts
IMHO I just feel that until he gets more talented players in there he needs to be a realist. He can get burned quickly if he tries to play man to man on a far superior team. Which unfortunately is going to be the case in a large number of there games this season.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Vetrano, Janev, and Catrina were 1-6, 1-6, and 1-5 shooting... if the 'Cats want to win some games theyre going to need better production from those 3.

i go to unh and seems the team is really high on gibbs, i heard he is very physical in practice. Nice line from Christensen today 7-14 22 points, 8 rebounrds.... the 8 turnovers didnt help though...

Odom was 5-7 for 3's... he should be the only shooting them...

vetrano and janez only took 3's... christenen took 9 of them shotting 2-9, him and janev should stick in the paint and not on the arch...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think he has the athletes to play man to man all the time. He doesn't seem like to type of coach to stray away from what he wants to do. Granted, they will most likely struggle playing man to man, but I think he will stick to his guns and play man to man most of the time!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not a very good game for Caterina. I believe he'll be better than he showed today. Zeko committed four fouls in about four mnutes in the first half, so he didn't get to show a lot. He didn't foul out and played a few more mnutes in the second half. But he looks athletic and I think is going to be an important part of this team by the end of the year.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Jermaine Anderson is a very good defensive player who is able to play man to man... other than him though, I don't think they have the athletes for it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts