Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Miami wants Damp.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/16117.htm

If we get Caron, then Dunleavy becomes expendable. Maybe throwing Dunleavy into a potential trade that might get us another #1 pick this year. :p

·
Registered
462 Posts
and imo, after Dampier, is Dunleavy

Dooooont like this at all

But Caron would fit better in Golden State than Dunleavy does. Then again, that can be changed with a quick swift coaching change.

Sign Tex Winters to be the new coach

and if he says no, Jim Cleamons
and if he says no, Kurt Rambis

·
Registered
811 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SKLB54</b>!
But Caron would fit better in Golden State than Dunleavy does. Then again, that can be changed with a quick swift coaching change.
How so? Dunleavy is a good shooter who can make plays happen. He'd be a great point-forward if taught properly.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Caron Butler and Jason Richardson have identical skills and future. It would be the worst idea to put two similar personnel on the floor at the same time. They are still young though so they can still twist their style a little bit to fit in with each other.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bringing this thread back up to make a point I didnt make

How so? Dunleavy is a good shooter who can make plays happen. He'd be a great point-forward if taught properly.
Musselman is a good coach. But for the Warriors? No. I agree Dunleavy is one of my favorite prospects because of his point-forward skills. But... Musselman doesnt want a point forward, he barely wants a point guard. The ideal PG in Musselman's mind is a 2 who has some sort of passing/point guard skills. Enter Gilbert Arenas, Enter Speedy Claxton. Exit Mike Dunleavy Jr., the pure passer and shooter that should be leading this team.

So how do we fix this? Well hopefully the front office has caught on to Musselman's conflicting philosophies with Dunleavy and replaces him with a coach more advanced in a passing offense.

While Golden State may not be fit for a Princeton offense, at all, they are a good fit for the Triangle offense. This is where Tex Winters, the creator of the Triangle offense and assistant to Phil Jackson throughout his career, comes in. The Warriors must make it a priority to fire Musselman and hire Winters, and if they can't get Winters, to go after another Jackson assistant, Jim Cleamons or Kurt Rambis.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Firing Musselman would be a mistake. He would go to another team and win. The West is not very easy right now and even with major injuries (i.e. Foyle and Murphy) and inconsistent play (i.e. Dunleavy) he has them at least playing competitively.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I failed to see why Mussleman don't play 'pure' point. You know, NVE is as 'pure' a point guard as anybody in this league. Muss was in love with him until his problem came up. Playing Speedy was not his original choice, just like Arenas a year ago. It was the management who failed to acquire a 'pure' point in recent years. Turning Larry Hughes a point was a failure; Bob Sura was a failure. You can blame Mussleman for lack of in-game coaching skills but it's not his fault the team couldn't acquired right personnel. Plus I don't think passing was that much of the problem this season. Everybody on the team loves to share the ball and you could see that in most games. It was the defense and lack of goto options that caused us games.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You know, NVE is as 'pure' a point guard as anybody in this league.
NVE was a pure point, up until 2000, but IMO, not anymore. Now, I doubt that he is a PG that wants to lead the league in assists, and not points. Speedy's lack of passing skills is apparent, look at his career with the 76ers. He was cut because Larry Brown thought that he didnt distribute the ball well.

Firing Musselman would be a mistake. He would go to another team and win.
I agree, he'd immediatly be signed by a team in the East, where his kind of play would work better and he would win. Just IMO, as the coach of the Warriors, he is not in the right situation.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

NVE was a pure point, up until 2000, but IMO, not anymore. Now, I doubt that he is a PG that wants to lead the league in assists, and not points. Speedy's lack of passing skills is apparent, look at his career with the 76ers. He was cut because Larry Brown thought that he didnt distribute the ball well.
NVE is still a pure point, IMO. He looked to distribute the ball evenly in his few games with the Warriors. Speedy was never a good distributor, but Muss obviously has no choice. Do you think getting no PG is Muss's problem? Do you think playing Arenas and Speedy were simply because Muss don't like pure point, ignoring the fact that there wasn't really a 'pure' point eligible? Those were my point. It wasn't Muss's fault that the Warriors never had a pure point recently.

I agree, he'd immediatly be signed by a team in the East, where his kind of play would work better and he would win. Just IMO, as the coach of the Warriors, he is not in the right situation.
Here's the catch: What direction the management is heading to? I see confusions all over the Warriors' hierachy. From management to the casual fans. Some said win now; some said future is more important; some wanted both. But who's really the MAN that makes the decision behind close door? If the goal is not clear, how could we know if you should fired Mussleman? I agreed Mussleman has his weaknesses, as does every coaches. But coaches need the right personnel to cover up his weaknesses, or explore his strength. I don't believe Muss has anything to do with who the team acquired recently. He had a good season last year because the team commited to one goal - rebuild, part because there wasn't any choice. This year? Personnel changed, Muss is still there. He couldn't bring out what's the best on current group. I called it the clashed of style, because Muss already proved that he can coach. I see Muss going this upcoming summer. I will not be sad because I thought it will be good for both the team and the coach. But again I can't blame Muss because of the fact that he was put under the fire. He is here this season to fail.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My question is, if Musselman wants to incorporate passing more into his offense, why not play what could be the future of the Warriors, Mike Dunleavy Jr.?

Okay, lets say if you had two choices put in front of you, a la the red pill and the blue pill in The Matrix.

The Red Pill is to stay in Musselman's offense where coincidentally or not the point guard will get 15+ points and x<5 assists.

The Blue Pill is to switch to the Triangle offense used in Chicago during the dynasty years. Dunleavy plays the role of Pippen, Richardson of Jordan, Murphy as Horace Grant, Dampier as Longley, and NVE/Speedy as Harper.

What pill would you take?

I of course say the blue pill.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Blue pill. Simply because triangle offense is proven, and I still don't know what's really inside Muss's playbook, if there's any.

Mind you, in order to run the tripple-post offense, you have to have right coaches. Getting similar players doesn't mean you can run those offense without correct coaching. Afterall, triangle offense is universally known as one of the most complicated offensive set in NBA. It requires a lot of movements on and off the ball. I would rather the team uses princeton offense as its based, which is what Muss used certain time.

I don't know why Muss don't play Dunleavy, either, but I guess it has more to do with Mike D's poor D than his O. Mike D's replacement, Brian Cardinal, is more advanced in both areas, although his upside might be limited. Coaches coach to win NOW, I can't blame Muss for playing who he's confidence with defensively. Again I am blaming the management instead of Muss for lack of direction.

Again, I don't think passing is the team's problem. I don't think Muss is the right coach, either.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Mind you, in order to run the tripple-post offense, you have to have right coaches. Getting similar players doesn't mean you can run those offense without correct coaching. Afterall, triangle offense is universally known as one of the most complicated offensive set in NBA. It requires a lot of movements on and off the ball. I would rather the team uses princeton offense as its based, which is what Muss used certain time.

If we're talking about coaching here, theres a reason why I want Tex Winters to be the coach.

Tex Winters.. if the name doesnt ring a bell, maybe this will help the introduction: The man who made Phil Jackson a great coach.

Now your probably thinking, wtf.. this guy doesnt know what he's talking about. But, the creator of the Triple Post (as Tex called it) was Tex Winters. Then Phil Jackson used this offense for the Bulls and boom, The legend of Phil Jackson. Now ofcourse Tex wasn't out of the loop during Jackson's dynasty, he was the assistant coach throughout all the glory. When Jackson went over to LA, Winters came along too, as he is currently the assistant to the Lakers.

Now lets say Tex says no... Well then you have Jim Cleamons, a former dynasty Bulls assistant, and current Lakers assistant.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I know Tex Winters, as I was a huge MJ fan during their dynasty-making years. This guy never looked like he wanted to coach, anyway. Jim Cleamons is a more viable option I supposed but I do not know him enough to judge his effectiveness.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know Tex Winters, as I was a huge MJ fan during their dynasty-making years. This guy never looked like he wanted to coach, anyway. Jim Cleamons is a more viable option I supposed but I do not know him enough to judge his effectiveness.
You couldnt be any more right. Thats my big question, if Tex even wants to coach..

I cant say it any better, I always added Cleamons in my posts as the backup option if Winters says no because Cleamons would be the more (cant think of a better word, so im gonna have to steal here) viable option. As for Cleamons effectiveness, I trust in Phil Jackson because he (Jackson) made it very clear that he wanted(/needed?) Cleamons in LA once he got there. That has to demand respect.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts

As for Cleamons effectiveness, I trust in Phil Jackson because he (Jackson) made it very clear that he wanted(/needed?) Cleamons in LA once he got there. That has to demand respect.
It denotes respect for Cleamons as an assistant. Cleamons, however, was unable to install the triangle in Dallas and, in fact, was a tremendous failure there. He may (may...I'm not saying it's proven) not be suited to be the main coach on a team.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know of Cleamons failure in Dallas. And it was a failure. But, I see the triangle offense only working in select few places, and Dallas was not one of those places. That kind of taught a lesson to the NBA, that just because it's an incredible offensive scheme, it doesnt mean that it can work anywhere.

Golden State, however, I feel is one of those situations where it can and will work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts