Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN.com said:
PLANO, Texas -- Former Dallas Cowboys receiver and current ESPN studio analyst Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his vehicle during a traffic stop, Plano police said Sunday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2238758

Hmmm I didn't catch countdown this morning was he not on? I wonder how this will effect the HOF voting.

·
Sexy Moderator
13,497 Posts
Way to go Irvin, you haven't learned a thing since the days you were in a Cowboys uniform.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Somewhere Keyshaun is laughing his *** off....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
typical Cowboy

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
From the rumormill at profootballtalk.com

In a Sunday evening interview with The Associated Press, Irvin also blamed "a friend" for the drug pipe that was found in his car after he was stopped for speeding and arrested on an outstanding speeding warrant.

According to Irvin, the pipe belonged to a friend of 17 years, who recently had been released from a rehab facility in Houston.

(Memo to said rehab facility -- if one of your patients emerges from the program with a drug pipe in his possession, it's probably safe to say that the formula needs just a little tweaking.)

Irvin said that the unnamed "friend" spent Thanksgiving with Irvin's family, and that Irvin didn't want the pipe inside his house, where his children might find it. Irvin claims that he planned to throw the thing away, but had forgotten about it.

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," Irvin said. "I know the type of demons they have to fight and I am going to help them, because it's the only way I can keep them from getting to my family. I have to clean up my friends because they are around my boys. It's upsetting."

Um, Mike. If your friends aren't clean, why are you even letting them around your house, your family, or yourself?

Said ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz, per The AP: "We've talked to Michael, who explained the situation to us the way he did to the AP, and we will continue to talk with Michael. But you can expect him to see him on 'Monday Night Countdown' on Monday evening."

Possible translation: "We don't really buy his excuse, and we're going to give him more opportunities to make contradictory and/or implausible statements."

For ESPN, the easy way to deal with the situation is to defer any formal discipline until the charges are resolved (which could take a while) -- and then to simply decline to renew or extend Irvin's contract, which expires after the current season. If Irvin claims that the decision was related to the pending charges, ESPN can explain that, no, the move is the result of Irvin's chronic inability to distinguish between analysis and personal agendas.

Irvin declined to name the "friend" whose pipe has placed the Playmaker in legal and professional jeopardy. However, we found Irvin's specific reference to the 17-year duration of the relationship to be intriguing, to say the least. By identifying the length of the friendship, Irvin likely was intending to send the media a clue as to who the "friend" might be.

After all, 17 years ago Irvin was a rookie with the Cowboys. And one of the other players on the roster was Nate Newton. Newton was busted on two occasions in 2001 for transporting large amounts of marijuana, and he was released from prison in 2004.

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey Mike, if it's not yours take a drug test, will clear the whole thing up! I'd love to believe him but when you have a rap sheet that is larger than Jon Ogden I have problems. I like Irvin too, and I hate the cowboys, but common mikey please, I'm supposed to believe this friend thing without qualification?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Wink said:
hey Mike, if it's not yours take a drug test, will clear the whole thing up! I'd love to believe him but when you have a rap sheet that is larger than Jon Ogden I have problems. I like Irvin too, and I hate the cowboys, but common mikey please, I'm supposed to believe this friend thing without qualification?
Thing is if it was a crack pipe, crack gets out of the system faster than just about any other narcotic. So depending on when they found it, he could be clean already (if he did use it).

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe it was Friday afternoon, I don't know enough about crack and drug testing, but I believe crack is what Quincy Carter got busted on under the NFL policy.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Wink said:
I believe it was Friday afternoon, I don't know enough about crack and drug testing, but I believe crack is what Quincy Carter got busted on under the NFL policy.
It gets out of the system in three days.

Also I think Quincy Carter was busted for cocaine, though I wouldn't be surprised if he went down to crack since.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts