Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michael Jordan is considered by most the greatest player of all time, has 6 rings, fame ,and cash. Why come back to play after having a good year but one substandard by your own lofty standards.

Cons- There seems to be serious concern by many experts that he maybe tarnishing his legacy by playing on two bad knee's and on a very young and inexperienced team . They say it makes no sense to stumble around having your shot blocked by guys who couldn't even carry your jockstrap in your prime, like against Indiana when he was literally locked up by Al harrington having several shots altered and a couple blocked or against the sonics one Sunday afternoon going o-16 before making a basket almost getting sympathy from Gary Payton at one point during the game. Against toronto late in the season getting the ball snatched right out of his hand in the closing seconds failing to come through at the end when it was needed most or against chicago when he barely could even get a shot off against Ron Artest having several swatted and shooting airballs, Some saying he is taking valuable time from the developement of the young players on his Wizard team that he is creating a sense of false hope by holding on to faded glory, some say that he is hurting the franchise by playing in that if he hadn't played they may have had better draft position insuring them a better player in the draft, Some just believing watching one of the greatest athlete's of our time graceful like a swan be relegated to pump fakes ,shot blocks and missed dunks, struggling to do things that were just an afterthought to a legend.

Pros- So why, Why do it I say why not do it, if you had all the money you ever wanted, all the fame, all the glory , and you had this burning love that could only be fulfilled by competing in the NBA ,why not play ,I'm in to my 30's now and used to be a damn good basketball player and actually played in college once ,would love to just play pick up ball again but can't due to injury, but everytime I hear a ball bounce that love affair with the game rekindles . Imagine Jordan when he sat back retired watching the games thinking I can take that guy ,I can do that ,then thinking why not do it again, Some people believe that this year should have awaken him from his dream back to reality with injuries and stuff but it hasn't might have strengthened his love, Love very rarily makes sense , It's his legacy isn't it, he gave us alot of great moments to behold but we don't own His legacy we can't write that final chapter in his book for him ,that so called perfect ending he had against the Jazz was just the way we felt about it ,not him. He has to figure that there will come a time in his life when he can't play anymore and all he'll have is memories that with each passing year fades just a little more ,so why hasten that day along, He can help all of the Wizards young players on the court by helping them create a work ethic and drive only by doing that you can impart to a team ,every day in the weight room the young players see ,everyday on the court they listen, I guess it's like lessons learned from a great professor who can best illustrate his point by showing you, he believe's just like he did in Chicago when they wanted him to sit out the rest of his second season so they could get a better lottery pick ,he refused saying you always play to win, play hard go all out because in losing things to chance often go wrong , The Wizards aren't assured of that fleeting moment when that lottery ball says first pick in the Lebron James sweepstakes, Hell James himself might not be a savior but the things Jordan imparts to his young team in that foxhole can last a lifetime. I think we sometimes forget what makes champions great it's their ability to play until there's no more gas in the tank, SO NO I SEE NO SHAME IN WATCHING WILLIE MAYS STUMBLE OR ALI GET BEATEN UP BY HOLMES OR JOE LOUIS GETTING BEAT BY MARCIANO ,I SEE GLORY IN THE FACT THAT FOR ONCE IN LIFE YOU SAW MEN GO UNTIL THEY WERE OUT OF GAS NOW THAT'S A CHAMPION EXHAUSTING ALL THE POSSIBILITIIES YOU HAVE LEFT in your body leaving it all on the field ,Jordan never cheated us he's just giving us his last drop . peace.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
use periods

I don't care if he comes back or not. The decision is his, not mine, not yours, and not anybody else's. If he doesn't care how he goes out, that's fine with me. If he wants to stunt the growth of other players, that's fine with me. If he wants to cut every player on the team and sign a bunch of guys like Charles Barkely and Patrick Ewing and have an old man's team that's fine with me. I think he's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants to in the NBA. But those guys who shut him down last year are some of the best defenders in the league, not just some young guys who don't know how to play. And just so you know Joe Louis kept boxing because he had debts to pay. He wanted to retire but he couldn't afford to. I still don't believe you played D1.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Michael Jordan should not come back.

Sure the fans love it but Michael is only hurting his legacy as the greatest player to ever play the game

Nobody wants to see Michael get schooled by Kobe now

Michael is just hurting his legacy by playing, just like Montana did when he left the 49ers to play for the Chiefs.

Michael needs to retire for good.

This is just my opinion

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't care what you believe i was there and I'm real tempted to expose who i am to shut you up but it's a privacy thing so it doesn't really matter I don't know who you are nor does it really matter no stuff about Joe Louis that doesn't deter from the point I'm making, Ali fought Holmes for the dough too,Why does it seem impossible to have played D1 i never really thought of it as a big deal anyway probably is for a non athlete like yourself lets discuss points of discussion not personal he say she say feuds . seems like all you do is react won't you try actually forwarding an idea so I can scrutinize.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Originally posted by jazzy1
I really don't care what you believe i was there and I'm real tempted to expose who i am to shut you up but it's a privacy thing so it doesn't really matter.
probably wouldnt kno who u was anyways

but back to the topic, i think jordan should NOT play this year

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bean the pimp am I saying this right you're right you probably wouldn't unless you followed that team then, but anyway why don't you think he should come back.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
His legacy?

It's his legacy, not the fans'. If he wants to play he should play. He won't ruin his legacy, he couldn't. All he could do is add to it.

But I agree with Jazzy, let's discuss points of discussion. In case you were wondering though, I did post my opinion about him coming back. I've made plenty of other posts, 114 total. If you want to respond to my ideas but not the ones I put in this thread you can go find my other posts.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
C-H-I-L-L

I think Jazzy needs to chill! If he wants to return then cool! This whole thing is based on opinions and everyone has one so lets not get personal and overreacting about someones opinion!!!!

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
White Boy I don't need to chill because I'm already chilled, I've said nothing personal to anyone just defending my position ,me and Motigs have gone back and forth he's cool and pretty smart about what he says so there's no beef I just joined this board and hadn't seen his posts but he was always cracking me in mine so i just wanted to crack him a little bit we cool , I hadn't seen his posts so my bad on that lets throw up some BBall dialogue i love to talk ball with people who really understand the game like him lets get it going I say JORDAN should come back also and since it is the Wiz he plays for my squad it really matters Check this we're going to the playoffs next year.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My Bad!

My bad Jazz I was trippin I shouldn't have been no negative it just seemed like things were getting a little overheated. So.......... I don't think he should come back I think his team will be better in the long run if he don't. His young guns will get more PT and they might finish with a worse record but that mean a better draft because lets face it they are not gonna win it all this year!!(right?) So why play I understand its about love for the game but at some point you just gotta call it quits and start to the about your franchise and not yourself!!

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I am proly the biggest Jordan fan there is.

Followed him since 83.

He shouldn't play, not unless he is NOT serious about managing them post retirement 3.

Go after Lebron if you are serious about managing the WIZ.

Play if you are not. Simple concept really

As far as their current team, I am prolly the only one who thinks they should have taken woods this year and shot for a premier point like Duhon or RIdnour next year.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
In short Jordan should quit, team losses(alot), good draft pick follows next year, and after that close to a playoff team..

Attachments

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a season ticket holder man I just can't throw away another year like that we've thrown away so many I see what you're saying but the lottery situations never seem to work out with us I say he plays we win get young guys some experience possibly in the playoffs and maybe lure a free agent ,going botttoms up one more year is just not acceptable knowing our past history 1 more year of glory is worth a little lower draft position,

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think its MJ's decision. I mean no matter what he does, he will always be a legend. Although, I don't think coming back now with the condition he is in will flatter his reputation much. Maybe a coaching job would be good..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have to admit, there was a lot of promise before he hurt his knee. He was one of two nba players at 25-5-5 at the time. Wizards were on a 9 game win streak, up to 5 games over .500, and Jordan was probably going to win MVP. Was that a mistake? No.
As for coming back for the 2nd season, in hindsight, he shouldn’t have, but nobody really knew how he would play months removed from meniscus surgery. Hand it to him for playing all 82 games at age 40, and averaging 20.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ultimately, regardless of Washington, his legacy is remembered for what he did accomplish, and not what he didn’t do with Washington. At least he got the 30k point club. He deserved to be in that club, he deserved to be all time career scorer.
As for Montana, no shame in those two seasons. They were serious contenders. I think MJ had to get it out of his system. Either that, or burn with regret at age 45 that he didn’t do it at age 40 when he could’ve (and did).

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Lol the Joe Louis and Ali parts of this take have not aged well. Oof.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts