Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<center> Michigan State (12-8, 7-2 1st Place)

at
Illinois (15-5, 6-3 3rd Place)

Battle for First Place

TV: ESPN
Time: 8:00 CT
Date: Tuesday February 10, 2004

Probable Illinois Lineup:

James Augustine, Roger Powell, Luther Head, Deron Williams, Dee Brown

Probable Michigan State Lineup:

Paul Davis, Alan Anderson, Kelvin Torbert, Chris Hill, Shannon Brown
</center>

Gosh this game is so big come Tuesday Night.. I know Wisconsin is 6-2 but this really is a battle for first.. Should be a great game as Dee and Shannon face each other finally in college!

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Key Stats for Starters:

James Augustine - 10.2 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 1.4 BPG, 63.2 FG
Roger Powell - 12.8 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 61.2 FG
Luther Head - 9.6 PPG, 1.7 APG, 1.0 SPG
Deron Williams - 12.9 PPG, 6.1 APG, 1.2 SPG
Dee Brown - 12.4 PPG, 4.6 APG, 1.4 SPG

Paul Davis - 16.3 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 1.6 SPG, 54.6 FG
Alan Anderson - 8.8 PPG, 3.3 RPG, 83.3 FT
Kelvin Torbert - 11.0 PPG, 1.9 APG, 56.6 FG
Chris Hill - 13.9 PPG, 4.0 APG, 1.4 SPG, 47.9 3PT
Shannon Brown - 8.6 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 1.4 APG, 1.2 SPG

(Last Meeting) Illinois 70 - Michigan State 40

Dee Brown had 24 pts, 5 assists, 5 boards, and 5 steals to lead the way in the last meeting.. It's been a while since we've played each other though!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'll be there... I expect Paul Davis to be shut down... for MSU to win, Torbert, Anderson, and Hill will have to carry the team... I expect the Illini to take it by 10.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>krob</b>!
I'll be there... I expect Paul Davis to be shut down... for MSU to win, Torbert, Anderson, and Hill will have to carry the team... I expect the Illini to take it by 10.
Wish I could go this year but can't.. God the atmosphere will be so great tommorow night.. Paint the Hall Orange night.. Gotta love it.. Have fun :)

I dont expect us to win this game by 30 this year but I do expect Illinois to pull out to W even if it's by 1 pt

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The joys of season tickets:)

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Illinois up 14-12.. Shannon Brown leads MSU 8 pts, Roger Powell leads IL with 7 pts..

Great game so far

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
christ it looks like a neon sign out there. seriously, what does illinois have against wearing white uniforms at home?? i'm red green color blind. the only way i can tell the uniforms apart is that michigan state's are slightly darker.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:woot: :woot: Illinois playing stiffling defense and winning by 15 at the break.. 35-20.. Wow we are playing good.. Gotta keep it up!

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
That's what I am talking about, that's the Luther Head that I know and that's how the Illini play defense. I like games where Jarrence Howard gets an opportunity to come in and play cause that kid gave up a lot to come and provide leadership for one more year. I hope the Illini use this as a sparkplug to finish off the Big Ten as champions.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Originally posted by <b>allenive21</b>!
That's what I am talking about, that's the Luther Head that I know and that's how the Illini play defense. I like games where Jarrence Howard gets an opportunity to come in and play cause that kid gave up a lot to come and provide leadership for one more year. I hope the Illini use this as a sparkplug to finish off the Big Ten as champions.
and... when Howard plays, we normally win

anyway.... great game, good atmosphere... i'm just gonna leave it at that... nothing to complain about...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I watched a good portion of this game. You guys played really well. I noticed the color orange was conspicuously absent from your arena tonight though, what's up with that? Anyway, needless to say, I'm not really looking forward to having to play down there next week; that's going to be a tough game.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The difference is that this year's Spartans (12-9 overall, 7-3 Big Ten), despite the humiliation, are still firmly in the Big Ten race - tied with Illinois (16-5, 7-3) in second place, percentage points behind 6-2 Wisconsin.

"It's not like the world has ended," MSU coach Tom Izzo said.

No, but another chance to beat an NCAA Tournament-caliber team on the road has, in quite discouraging fashion. MSU's recent uncanny shooting went cold against the Illini, exposing the Spartans' defense for what it is - subpar against quick opponents.

"If we don't start defending, we can't win the big games," Izzo said. "We can win games, but we cannot win the big games. ... This is a big game we didn't even come close to winning."

"I can account for most of this loss," said MSU guard Shannon Brown, who was the only Spartan in double figures with 12 points. "I gave up 12 straight points on my own, just because I didn't get a hand up on shots. This is my fault."

Actually, Brown had a lot of help. MSU let Illinois shoot 50 percent from the field, and the Illini swooped in for 11 offensive rebounds to keep possessions alive. Once again, Izzo's team failed to defend, or show that it could, against a good team.

"Personally, this is what's supposed to happen - if you don't check, you can't win championships," Izzo said.

Meanwhile, big man Paul Davis (eight points) had his first single-digit scoring game since Dec. 3 against Duke - which, until Tuesday, was the Spartans' most lopsided loss of the season. Davis never got going against the double-teaming Illini.

"I think they did a good job on Paul, and I think Paul did a good job on Paul," Izzo said.

There is some good news: MSU and Illinois meet once next season, and it's at Breslin Center.

"I don't know what it is," MSU junior Chris Hill said of Assembly Hall. "It's a good thing, I guess, (we don't) play here next year."

Illinois routs MSU for second straight year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts