Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call to arms!!! Resist the Mid Major label, and resist it at every turn. I notice that some here are hanging their heads, and accepting this label. STOP! Accepting this label makes it easier for the bigger schools to marginalize us. We are not on the same level with the Horizon, MAAC, AE, Summit, etc. I can't remember which one, but there was a site that listed the A10, and a handful of similar leagues, as High Major, with the P5/BE on their own level. I like this. HIGH MAJOR! I'll give Xavier credit for one thing while they were here. They NEVER accepted the mid major label, and that stance has served them well. Reject the mid major label that seeks to diminish us. Reject it at every turn!

·
Registered
143 Posts
LOL!!! We really need to be that mad. When they're allowed to put us on the same level as Rider, it becomes much easier for them to get away with screwing us. I see us as being the hoops equivalent of the football G5, while the mid majors are fcs.
This seems pretty accurate to me. You have the top 6 conferences, then the group of 3 (A10, AAC, and MWC, possibly the WCC), then the rest of the mid and low major conferences. I think there are 3 distinct tiers and roping us in with the Horizons or SWACs of the world is completely unreasonable.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
"Mid-Major" means "a conference that will be a one-bid league if the regular season champ wins the conference tournament, but a two-bid league if the regular season champ gets upset in the conference tourney, because they're definitely getting an at-large."

(The prime example is Gonzaga going undefeated in WCC play when Saint Mary's and BYU can't get a bid unless they upset Gonzaga in Vegas).

A. That's never been us, except like two years out of 40 seasons, ever.

B. By definition, it changes every year. The Big South is a "one-bid league" but they had three at-large candidates last season.

So I have NO PROBLEM with the label of mid-major as a label. I DO have a problem with labeling any conference a mid-major conference before mid-February and every applying it to the A-10 when were not debating "Is this the worst A-10 year ever?"

Plus, they hardly exist anymore after conference realignment:
Memphis got stranded in C-USA 2.0 and went undefeated for like four years and now they're in the American.
BYU joined Saint Mary's and one of them is usually a legit second WCC bubble team.
VCU and George Mason left the CAA for the A-10
Butler left the Horizon for the Big East.
Creighton left the MVC for the Big East.
Wichita State left the MVC for the American.
Western Kentucky left the Sun Belt for C-USA
Davidson left the SoCon for the A-10

And expanding the league schedules from 16 games to 18-20 games rendered it mathematically unlikely that you could have one legit NCAA team (by math) and a second team anywhere near the bubble unless you have like a 7-way tie for fifth place and no one with a bad record in your league.

Mid-Majors are basically dead.

·
Piker
8,538 Posts
Basketball pundits use the label for anyone other than P5 teams. The Big East and the AAC fight over the P6 moniker that was created by some numb nut. I always thought that P5 was more of a football term. I don't even really care anymore. Call me anything you like, but don't call me late for dinner.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Basketball pundits use the label for anyone other than P5 teams. The Big East and the AAC fight over the P6 moniker that was created by some numb nut. I always thought that P5 was more of a football term. I don't even really care anymore. Call me anything you like, but don't call me late for dinner.
Major athletic departments are the P5 that control the money distributions, whether it's the CFP or NCAA and the selection process. Mid Majors do not have control to set the terms of money distributions or selection process. Technical and actually are two different things as the P5 have great influences of setting the rules and the at-large selections. Then there is the high mid-majors. We should never accept mid-major for the A10, but high mid-major is OK.

·
Piker
8,538 Posts
Major athletic departments are the P5 that control the money distributions, whether it's the CFP or NCAA and the selection process. Mid Majors do not have control to set the terms of money distributions or selection process. Technical and actually are two different things as the P5 have great influences of setting the rules and the at-large selections. Then there is the high mid-majors. We should never accept mid-major for the A10, but high mid-major is OK.
High mid-major? I guess that sounds nice. It is better to be called stout or curvy than obese.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
In no way—not even in passing—should conferences like the A10, Mountain West, and MVC allow the term “mid-major” to cross their respective lips. It is an othering, divisive, alienating term pushed by the P5/major sports broadcast cartel to further consolidate their already-existing monopoly over college athletics (which, by the way, already has officially classified “levels”—they’re called Divisions 1, 2, and 3).

F*** that term and the people who perpetuate it.

·
Piker
8,538 Posts
In no way—not even in passing—should conferences like the A10, Mountain West, and MVC allow the term “mid-major” to cross their respective lips. It is an othering, divisive, alienating term pushed by the P5/major sports broadcast cartel to further consolidate their already-existing monopoly over college athletics (which, by the way, already has officially classified “levels”—they’re called Divisions 1, 2, and 3).

F*** that term and the people who perpetuate it.
Good luck trying to get writers and announcers to change their labelling of non-P5 other than the P6 thing. I have even seen some writers say stuff like, the A10 is not considered a mid-major in my eyes. Somehow the term it is usually lumped in. Teams are also singled out when this is discussed. Gonzaga comes to mind. They say things like, although Gonzaga is in a mid-major conference......

I like the attitude of this thread though. F-em.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Surely, you can't be serious.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Its a term I abhor, and always felt it was for the P5 and football. If the media is going to use for men's basketball then, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, BC, Miami, Pitt, Wake Forest, WVU,Ok State, Rutgers , Northwestern, and a host of others must be mid-majors because they were on the wrong side of of playing 500 ball last season.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I think of P5 as applying to football.
The AAC made an effort (with football) to be in a new group called the P6.
I don't think that's going real well for them.

I looked at the at-large NCAA bids for schools outside the P5. I think (don't remember exactly) that it has been roughly the same number for the last few years.

For example, last year was the first NET year, and there were 10 non-P5 at large bids.
In 2018 with the old RPI, there were also 10.
In 2017, there were 10.

The BE is getting a fair number of the 10.
This doesn't mean JP's point is wrong though. Many of the P5's that sneak in under the wire don't deserve the bid that should have gone to a non P5.

·
Piker
8,538 Posts
Elaborate.
This goes back and forth every season when it comes to OOC and SOS. People have varying opinions on the subject. It is not just Bona who I was suggesting did not look toward a challenging schedule. It hurts them though especially with how the A10 screwed them with match-ups. I know that Duquesne is not able to play home games at Palumbo but I do not see any true away games on their schedule. It is up to each coach how they go about it so I guess I should worry about my front porch not my neighbor's house but it does creep over into my yard.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts