Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Hey kids...get off my lawn!

I can't find our complete OOC schedule. It's suppose to be out in August, so not much time left. Maybe it's just well hidden.
But...we are playing a P5 in a true road game, and have one coming to Robins.
So, take that.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hey kids...get off my lawn!

I can't find our complete OOC schedule. It's suppose to be out in August, so not much time left. Maybe it's just well hidden.
But...we are playing a P5 in a true road game, and have one coming to Robins.
So, take that.
Well, I'm not suppose to give this to you before I give it to the Athletic Department, but...

11/8/19 St. Francis PA
11/14/19 Vanderbilt
11/17/19 Cal St. Northridge
11/22/19 McNeese St
11/25/19 Wisconsin at Barclays Brooklyn, NY
11/26/19 Auburn/New Mexico at Barclays Brooklyn, NY
11/30/19 Boston College
12/3/19 AT Hampton
12/8/19 South Alabama
12/14/19 College of Charleston
12/18/19 AT Old Dominion
12/22/19 Radford in Anacostia, DC
12/29/19 AT Alabama

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well, I'm not suppose to give this to you before I give it to the Athletic Department, but...

11/8/19 St. Francis PA
11/14/19 Vanderbilt
11/22/19 McNeese St
11/30/19 Boston College
12/3/19 AT Hampton
12/8/19 South Alabama
12/18/19 AT Old Dominion
12/29/19 AT Alabama
Seems like a good ooc to me. Hopefully, the Spiders can weave a web around some of those P5 schools and avoid getting squished by the likes of Hampton, St. Francis etc.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
With 3 true road games (1 a P5) and 2 P5's coming to the Robins, maybe this Joey dude from St Joe's is earning his keep. Of course we need to win some of these games.
Meanwhile, maybe some other teams could use him to amp their OOC.

·
Registered
102 Posts

11/8/19 St. Francis PA
11/14/19 Vanderbilt
11/22/19 McNeese St
11/30/19 Boston College
12/3/19 AT Hampton
12/8/19 South Alabama
12/18/19 AT Old Dominion
12/29/19 AT Alabama
Congratulations, you get to play Jalen Poyser, former Bonnie, who is now at McNeese State.

https://unlv.forums.rivals.com/threads/jalen-poyser-to-play-for-heath-schroyer.29915/

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think of P5 as applying to football.
The AAC made an effort (with football) to be in a new group called the P6.
I don't think that's going real well for them.

I looked at the at-large NCAA bids for schools outside the P5. I think (don't remember exactly) that it has been roughly the same number for the last few years.

For example, last year was the first NET year, and there were 10 non-P5 at large bids.
In 2018 with the old RPI, there were also 10.
In 2017, there were 10.

The BE is getting a fair number of the 10.
This doesn't mean JP's point is wrong though. Many of the P5's that sneak in under the wire don't deserve the bid that should have gone to a non P5.
That's why I still say BCS.

The old BCS six conferences were the P5, and the old Big East, which is now the New Big East AND the American.

2019 (4) VCU, Belmont, Gonzaga, Nevada
2018 (3) Nevada, St Bona, Rhody
2017 (3) St Mary's, VCU, Dayton,
2016 (3) Wichita St, VCU, Dayton; St Bona oh wait we got fucked

3.25 per year. 13 Total: A10 7, MWC 2, WCC 2, MVC 1, OVC 1

Compare that to:

2013 (11) VCU, San Diego St, Wichita St, Boise St, LaSalle, UNLV, Butler, Temple, Colorado St, Middle Tenn, St Mary's

2012 (11) SLU, Temple, Xavier, So Miss, Iona, Wichita St, Colorado St, San Diego St, UNLV, BYU, Gonzaga

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you want to know why college basketball is getting worse, it's because the NCAA has no power and the conferences have all the power; and those with big TV deals have ALL the power.

The 2019 NCAA Tournament field has 32 conferences represented.

31 P5 - ACC (7), Big 12 (6), Big Ten (8), SEC (7), Pac-12 (3)
39 BCS - Big East 4, American 4
6 major - A-10 2, WCC 2, MWC 2
2 mid-major - OVC 2
21 one-bid

So, 4 two-bid conferences, 21 one-bid conferences and seven 4+ bid conferences.

The same 68 teams that made the 2019 NCAA field and their membership 20 years ago in 1999:

28 P5 - ACC (5), Big 12 (6), Big Ten (7), SEC (7), Pac 10 (3)
11 Major - Big East (4), CUSA (5), A-10 (2)
10 Mid-Major - CAA (2), Big West (2), Big South (2), ASun (2), Am East (2)
19 One-Bid

·
Registered
938 Posts
VCU goes 2-0 and is no longer in the top 25. A couple unranked Pac12 teams go 1-0 each and are now in. VCU looked rough in both games, but I'm pretty surprised by this.

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
It doesn't bother me that much because the Wednesday gave versus LSU was either going to move them up or drop them out. The AP voters obviously loved St Mary's moving them to 18 but Winthrop did not seem to think much of it. I will take the 2-0

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
This is why I hate the myth of BCS superiority so much.

Kansas was beating Monmouth 110-55 with 15 seconds left. The Kansas PG pulls it back to dribble out the clock, and a Monmouth guy sneaks around, steals it, runs down and dunks.

And the Big XII broadcasters express their displeasure... with the Monmouth kid. For playing until 0:00.0 and getting a dunk at Phog Allen Fieldhouse. Fuck that shit. You got a 53-point win in a buy game, shut up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can argue about who is high major, who is mid major, who is low major etc. The real problem in college basketball is there are too many college basketball teams masquerading as Division 1 schools. What is Division 1 about a college team that plays in a glorified high school gym or a band box arena? The NCAA should set minimum requirements for teams to be Division 1. At a minimum, a Division 1 school should play in an arena with a capacity of at least 5000 seats. In the A10, this would eliminate Duquesne, Fordham, LaSalle, and Saint Joseph's. Sorry Duquesne. The renovations that you are making to your "arena" look nice, but you fall short of meeting the minimum requirements of a Division 1 team.

The NCAA could give each current Division 1 school who would not meet the new requirement 2 years to decide if they want to remain Division 1. If they do want to remain Division 1, they would need to have shovels in the ground by the fifth year. There could be an extension to 10 years given to a school who has put $10,000,000 or more of renovations into their existing "arena" within the five years previous to the new rule being adopted.

Let the debate begin.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You can argue about who is high major, who is mid major, who is low major etc. The real problem in college basketball is there are too many college basketball teams masquerading as Division 1 schools. What is Division 1 about a college team that plays in a glorified high school gym or a band box arena? The NCAA should set minimum requirements for teams to be Division 1. At a minimum, a Division 1 school should play in an arena with a capacity of at least 5000 seats. In the A10, this would eliminate Duquesne, Fordham, LaSalle, and Saint Joseph's. Sorry Duquesne. The renovations that you are making to your "arena" look nice, but you fall short of meeting the minimum requirements of a Division 1 team.

The NCAA could give each current Division 1 school who would not meet the new requirement 2 years to decide if they want to remain Division 1. If they do want to remain Division 1, they would need to have shovels in the ground by the fifth year. There could be an extension to 10 years given to a school who has put $10,000,000 or more of renovations into their existing "arena" within the five years previous to the new rule being adopted.

Let the debate begin.
Point / Counterpoint...EYOA

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

Let the debate begin.
Who cares about the number of Division 1 teams? I’ve heard that argument before. We all need the Houston Baptist Universities to play in OOC. As a fan, I don’t want to see UD playing a bunch of away games OOC because the number of Division 1 teams is cut in half.

What is needed is for all A10 teams to commit to running a basketball program at a high level. Duquesne paying its coach at a high level and building infrastructure and is ranked in the top 1/3 of all Divsion 1 teams. It’s about budgets for coaches, charters, recruiting and building practice / training facilities, etc. We need programs to operate like high majors. If Duquesne has a 4,000 seat facility but becomes a top 50 team they shouldn’t be in Div 1? That would be an ideal situation for the A10.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts

Let the debate begin.
Yeah, WAAAAAY off base here. The problem isn't the number of teams, it's how CONFERENCE play works.

Every conference is playing 18/20 conference games, and 12/10 non-conference games. So 67% of each teams SOS is "the record of your conference opponents." So everyone's "NET/RPI/MATH number" is based on "How many OOC wins did you get as a league." The leagues with big TV deals buy guarantee games, rack up wins and their math is simply just better than an equal team.

Look at the Southland Conference. The league is 17-74 in non-conference games. That makes every SLC opponent 12-18. Which means Stephen F Austin cannot possibly get an at-large bid no matter what they do. Even though they went to Cameron Indoor and BEAT DUKE. You beat Duke at Duke, you're GOOD. But the Math has nothing to do with WHO IS GOOD.

RPI worked just fine when it was invented. It was invented in 1981 when you had the Big Ten (10), ACC (8), SEC (10), Pac-10 (10), Big East (8).... and then...
Big 8: Kansas, Oklahoma, Okla St, Colorado
Southwest: Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas, Houston
Metro: Louisville, Fla St, Cincy, Va Tech, Memphis
A-10: Pitt, West Virginia
MWCC: Xavier, Butler, Loyola
MVC: Creighton, Wichita St, Tulsa
Sun Belt: VCU
Independents: Dayton, Marquette, UNLV, Penn St, South Carolina, Notre Dame, DePaul,
SoCon: Davidson
Big Sky: Nevada, Boise St
ECAC South: Richmond, Mason
East Coast: Temple, St. Joe's, LaSalle
WAC: Utah, San Diego St, BYU
WCC: Gonzaga
PCAC: Pacific, Utah St

That's 20 conferences with up to 89 good schools.... Now those 89 schools are in TEN conferences instead of 20.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I expected most posters would object to my idea. Your points and those of JAF are well taken. I will still go on to point 2 of what is needed to pare down some of these schools masquerading as Division 1. There needs to be some competitive measuring stick for a school to be Division 1. All Division 1 schools should be able to beat other Division 1 schools with some regularity. Certainly Houston Baptist isn't going to have similar stats as Duke in doing this. However, all Division 1 schools should be able to have at least a .500 record against Division 1 schools it plays in a season at least once in every 5 to 10 years. If they cannot meet that low of a bar it just proves that they are only masquerading as Division 1.

Have at it.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I expected most posters would object to my idea. Your points and those of JAF are well taken. I will still go on to point 2 of what is needed to pare down some of these schools masquerading as Division 1. There needs to be some competitive measuring stick for a school to be Division 1. All Division 1 schools should be able to beat other Division 1 schools with some regularity. Certainly Houston Baptist isn't going to have similar stats as Duke in doing this. However, all Division 1 schools should be able to have at least a .500 record against Division 1 schools it plays in a season at least once in every 5 to 10 years. If they cannot meet that low of a bar it just proves that they are only masquerading as Division 1.

Have at it.
I don't object to Division I shrinking. There are probably some schools that can't financially compete with the majority of Division I, yes. But your two ideas are just bad.

An arena size require is arbitrary and meaningless. You're going to force schools to spend tens of millions on an arena, the size of which they might not need? It's terrible for large urban areas and small towns alike.

A. A-10 cities you list: Pittsburgh, Bronx, Philadelphia. Places with no room to build a big arena, a bunch of other arenas already in town, so why build another big one? (Hell, technically GEORGETOWN doesn't meet your requirement). Duquesne could just pay money to play in the Penguins arena, costing them money for no reason other than to get around your requirement. That would make them worse, not better.

B. Arena Size is a terrible indicator program quality: UMKC has a bigger arena than Duke.
101 schools don't meet the 5000-seat minimum. Combined they have 12 Final Fours and 3 National Championships. SMC (26-8 average over 15 years) and Vermont (23-10) have 14 NCAA bids in the last 21 years. Saint Mary's makes the dance a third of the time and just beat the hell out of Arizona State by 40, but they can't compete because their arena is tiny? Non-sense.

Your Performance requirement: No winning seasons in 10 years. (a) you make a rule that kicks out the HBCU's, or service academies or Ivy League schools and you've got a political nightmare on your hands. (b) have you actually ran numbers on who wouldn't qualify by that standard?

I count 16.
Six of whom are HBCU/Ivy/Service academies (Florida A&M, Alabama A&M, Alcorn St, Howard; Dartmouth, Air Force).
Three of whom joined D-I within the last 13 years (Houston Baptist, Presbyterian, Kennesaw St).
Seven of whom had winning seasons in 2008 or 2007 (Fordham, Marist, Southern Utah)
Four could easily have winning records if they dropped to a lesser league OR dropped football (Fordham, Rice, San Jose St, Youngstown St)

So basically, the list of "don't belong in Division I" is Stetson and maybe Kennesaw St.

The NCAA rules on Division I status has to be grounded in something worthwhile. Not how good you are, not how much money you spend on facilities. It's based on OPPORTUNITIES OFFERED. Minimum number of sports and scholarships. Which makes actual sense.

And of course, the biggest reason there's a lack of parity (and there's really not that much if you go conference by conference) is the disparity of conference TV dollars and the way conference schedules work: Stephen F. Austin won AT DUKE and the story on ESPN.com the next day was that THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO to get an at-large if they don't win the Southland Tournament because the Southland is SO BAD OOC. That means we're measuring teams not based on how good they actually are, because SFA actually is good enough to beat Duke, because they did.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Wofford's beaten UNC like twice in five years. The Gonzaga student section late in last night's game trolled the Heels with a "We Want Wofford" chant.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you wanted to "Fix" college hoops, there's a very simple way:

1. Cap conferences at 8 members, so that the big boys could simply split in half and add a couple teams. (The SEC, B10, ACC, B12, P12, MWC, BE, AAC and A-10 would be 14 conferences instead of 9).

2. You'd have 44 conferences (couple exceptions like the WCC or WAC to have 9 so we're not stuck with Stetson joining the WAC or something at the end), and divide them into four Tiers of 11 conferences.

3. Every conference schedule must be SINGLE Round Robin. Conference tournaments all three rounds, no byes.

4. Every school must play 8 OOC games -- four home, four road -- vs each other tiers (24 games).

21 - 40 of 52 Posts