33,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st Team:
Lamb
Olaniyi
Lutete
Ellison
Healy

I kind of see those 5 being somewhat locks, the only question mark would be Ellison- not so much on ability but whether the coaches would vote a grad transfer on 1st team and Ellison also missed the bulk of the out of conference.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Looks about right. The only question would be is if Stef Smith or Sessoms is able to nudge Healy out. I'd consider nudging Lutete out for one of them, but Lutete is leading the conference in PPG so I don't see that happening (though I still don't think Lutete's skillset is top-5 material as he struggles greatly against solid and physical defensive teams--SB held him to 10, UVM to 12 and Ohio State to 7).

I'm glad you didn't put Foreman from SBU on this list. Obviously he has a scorer's mentality and can get very hot from beyond the arc, but he's not terribly dynamic offensively outside of that and it seems like it can be fairly easy for opposing defenses to take him out of the offensively. To be an all-conference player you need a strategy of how to contribute when you go cold--Foreman doesn't have any such strategy.

Here's what I have for the other teams:

2nd team-
Sessoms
Fleming
Stef Smith
KJ Jackson
Foreman

3rd team-
Horvath
Ryan Davis
O. Noel
Guadarama
Ahmad Clark

DPOY-
Shungu

All-defense-
Shungu
Lamb
Mamadou Gueye
Olaniyi
Last spot?? Traci Carter, Guadarama...who knows. I'd say most likely the League goes with one of the UNH guys.

ROY- No clue. Any ideas?

·
The People's Champ
685 Posts
In years past when Hartford or any other AE team gained a grad transfer deserving of a yearly award, for the coaches, I think it's more; 'well how are they helping their team win?'. Because I've noticed there's been quite a few players recently for Hartford at least where they produce immediately, but the team isn't winning (Jalen Ross, Pancake Thomas). Pancake Thomas was a hell of a player, explosive, like Ellison (comes from a major conf., etc.), but ended up 2nd Team all conf. I believe, because their team only won 11 games that year, or 12 (shocking Albany in the playoffs ;)….. But, this year with Ellison is different... Not only is he already one of the top players in the league, but most importantly, he has changed the team this year, blown away expectations for Hartford, and are right in the mix as a top 3ish/4ish team in AE play...almost scores at will, is a machine on defense, and also averages a double double. Not only should he be a First Team all conference, but should get consideration for Player of the Year...

if coaches snub him for first team, and put him on 2nd team because 'he played in a different conference last year', that to me is a black eye on the league. AE should be welcoming these types of players that perform well, it could lead to a small shift where high mid level to high level Seniors and Grad Transfers want to 'be the man' and is really exciting for the entire league... the whole conference benefits because it generates BUZZ that the AE needs!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
At the quarter mark I would have had a strong argument for Foreman. He has slipped off a lot since then. The other problem with Foreman is that transfers very rarely ever get any love from the league coaches their first year. So Foreman was never going to be considered for first team anyway.

·
Premium Member
33,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foreman solidly second team. He’s been as important as anyone for SBU’s success this year and given them much needed 3pt threat. Second team would probably go Stef, Foreman, Sessoms, Clark and then Fleming or Noel.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,640 Posts
1st- Lamb, Ellison, Olaniyi, Lutete, Healy
2nd- Noel, El Darwiche, Smith, Clark, Garcia
3rd- Fleming, Sessoms, Sullivan, Guadarrama, Jackson

Defense- Gueye, Carter, Lamb, Shungu, DeSousa

All Rookie- Flowers, Stafl, Tinsley, Withers, Hutcheson

COY- Gallagher
POY- Lamb
DPOY- Gueye
ROY- Hutcheson

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
In years past when Hartford or any other AE team gained a grad transfer deserving of a yearly award, for the coaches, I think it's more; 'well how are they helping their team win?'. Because I've noticed there's been quite a few players recently for Hartford at least where they produce immediately, but the team isn't winning (Jalen Ross, Pancake Thomas). Pancake Thomas was a hell of a player, explosive, like Ellison (comes from a major conf., etc.), but ended up 2nd Team all conf. I believe, because their team only won 11 games that year, or 12 (shocking Albany in the playoffs ;)….. But, this year with Ellison is different... Not only is he already one of the top players in the league, but most importantly, he has changed the team this year, blown away expectations for Hartford, and are right in the mix as a top 3ish/4ish team in AE play...almost scores at will, is a machine on defense, and also averages a double double. Not only should he be a First Team all conference, but should get consideration for Player of the Year...

if coaches snub him for first team, and put him on 2nd team because 'he played in a different conference last year', that to me is a black eye on the league. AE should be welcoming these types of players that perform well, it could lead to a small shift where high mid level to high level Seniors and Grad Transfers want to 'be the man' and is really exciting for the entire league... the whole conference benefits because it generates BUZZ that the AE needs!
Based on previous years I bet Ellison is 2nd team all-conference. They will reward conference longevity. A one year guy would definitely not win POY. Plus he has only played in about 12 games. Boy do I wish we had him 1 more year. I am hoping Carter & Ellison are a vocal help in bringing in other high level graduate transfers to Hartford based on their experience. I think Carter will be on the all-defensive team.....though Ellison should also garner votes there as well. I see Flowers on the all-defensive team in the future.

·
The People's Champ
685 Posts

COY- Gallagher
POY- Lamb
DPOY- Gueye
ROY- Hutcheson

I like this list, except ROY... Flowers is far and away the leader in this one. Hutheson doesn't come close from a statistical standpoint.. Stafl I would even put ahead of Hutcheson

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I like this list, except ROY... Flowers is far and away the leader in this one. Hutheson doesn't come close from a statistical standpoint.. Stafl I would even put ahead of Hutcheson
the one who actually matchesright up with Flowers & Stafl statistically is Tinsley. Those 3 are extremely close stats wise.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Rookie of the Year is always a funny one. Unless my guy is a once in a generation talent, i don't necessarily want a freshman playing enough on my team to win RoY.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
123 Posts
cough Jameel.

Jameel actually could have won MVP as a freshman. It went to Tommy Brenton that year but Jameel averaged 4 more PPG and shot 62%! Brenton had better defensive numbers though. Imagine if Jameel swept 4 straight conference MVPs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Lamb should've won POY his freshman year too. It went to TBH but Lamb was definitely the star of that team (I accept the argument it should've gone to Jahad Thomas or a non-UVM guy....but UVM went 16-0 so I think the conference decided they have no choice but weren't going to give Lamb both ROY and POY). Lamb's sophomore year was different since he was injured for virtually all of conference play. Looking back on that season Lamb's injury will stand out as a bigger disappointment than the loss to UMBC (which undoubtedly was a function of being without Lamb).

Back to this year's awards I don't see Gueye as being DPOY. He uses his length well for ferocious blocks which will get him on the all-defense team (simply because everyone will remember how electric he is on both ends of the court), but he's not a well-rounded defender and can't box out since he has twigs for legs and weighs 140lbs. Ultimately I don't think he's actually a top-5 defensive player in this league, but I do think he'll make the all-defense team because of highlight-reel syndrome. DPOY should be totally out of the picture for Gueye.

·
Premium Member
33,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lamb POY. Only player that could realistically be in the discussion behind him thus far is Olayini.

·
Premium Member
33,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bump. Think end of season awards announced on Friday typically?

Healy probably played himself off first team, did Olayini injury impact him? Likely some movement here.

Thought Stef was solidly second team but can make a good case he is a first teamer, was really excellent this season. His 3pt FG% fantastic.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,640 Posts

COY- Gallagher
POY- Lamb
DPOY- Gueye
ROY- Hutcheson
1st- Lamb, Ellison, Olaniyi, Lutete, Clark
2nd- Noel, El Darwiche, Smith, Sessoms, Garcia
3rd- Fleming, Healy, Sullivan, Guadarrama, Jackson

COY- Herrion/Gallagher (I wouldn't be shocked if Becker got some votes)
POY- Lamb (I wouldn't have a problem with Ellison here)
DPOY- Carter
ROY- Flowers (wouldn't have a problem with Tinsley either)
6MOY- Davis

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

Healy probably played himself off first team, did Olayini injury impact him? Likely some movement here.

Thought Stef was solidly second team but can make a good case he is a first teamer, was really excellent this season. His 3pt FG% fantastic.
Smith has a case like Ernie getting first team last year...Lutete was a second teamer with first team numbers, and Sessoms was a 3rd teamer as a freshman. These teams finished 6th and 9th this year...whether it was newcomer bias against them or not, coaches might see the case for rewarding the second best and most consistent player on the best team with a first team nod.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts

Thought Stef was solidly second team but can make a good case he is a first teamed, was really excellent this season. His 3pt FG% fantastic.
You gotta drop Healy after his injury, in the bingo game on Feb 1 he had 22pts but came out in that game. Since then he's produced 3pts, dnp, 8, 6, 8, 2, 3, 5...in the previous 23 games, he had 3 games under double digit scoring. Guy like that doesn't just forget how to shoot or score.

Clark 2nd team...no chance you put DeSousa anywhere....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts