Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
First Round Draft Pick
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike D'Antoni plans to coach Lakers on Sunday

Just finished interviewing new Lakers Coach Mike D’Antoni by telephone, and how’s that for a fine start in town — he's talking to Page 2.

It’s going to take a little while to transcribe tape and write a column, but here’s how we began Tuesday morning.

"Got bad news for you, Mike. You’re losing 73% to 11% to Phil Jackson in a poll of who people would like to see coaching the Lakers."

D’Antoni laughs. "I’ve got some really close friends who are Laker fans and they were disappointed I got the job."

Reminded that the fans in Staples Center have been chanting, "We want Phil," D’Antoni says, "They can’t chant, 'We want Mike,' because they got him."

D’Antoni is still recovering from reconstructive surgery on his right knee. He’s getting around now with one crutch or a cane.

He will fly to Los Angeles on Wednesday, meet his team Thursday and says he’s probably aiming to make his Lakers coaching debut Sunday.

"When I feel better I’ll start coaching, and I think miraculously I’ll start feeling better when Steve [Nash] is feeling better," he says. "I’ve already tried coaching without him and that didn’t work out too well, so I’m thinking I’ll be smart this time."

If the tape recorder batteries hold up, more to come soon.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Damn, I was hoping he'd be there Friday since I'll be at the game.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
We play the Suns on Friday. I believe that's also Kareem's statue unveiling. Poor Cap still can't make headlines lol

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
"When I feel better I’ll start coaching, and I think miraculously I’ll start feeling better when Steve [Nash] is feeling better," he says. "I’ve already tried coaching without him and that didn’t work out too well, so I’m thinking I’ll be smart this time."

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
We play the Suns on Friday. I believe that's also Kareem's statue unveiling. Poor Cap still can't make headlines lol
Damn. The unveiling is at 4:30 but I won't be near Staples until about 5-5:30. Would've been cool to see the unveiling of the statue. No wonder Kareem is on the tickets for that game. Didn't even think about that.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
I was there for Chicks statue unveiling. It was cool to see all the older players mixed with some of the younger ones. I'm sure more will turn out for Cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts