Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Portland Trail Blazers hired Steve Patterson and John Nash last summer to clean up the image and transform a team that has been to the playoffs 21 consecutive years and averaged 50 victories the past nine seasons. So far, they have allowed Scottie Pippen, Arvdyas Sabonis and Antonio Daniels to walk and traded Bonzi Wells for aging Wesley Person and a first-round draft choice.

All the while, they still haven't made a decision on Rasheed Wallace, the most talented and problematic player on the roster. Wallace has been the subject of trade rumors from New Jersey to New York to Cleveland to Detroit to Memphis to Dallas and back again with a $17 million contract that ends this summer.

"We may keep Rasheed for the entire year, we may trade him, we may wait for a sign-and-trade, we may sign him or we may decide to just let him go and use the salary-cap space," Nash said. "As anybody would in this league, I'd much rather have an expired contract, and we don't want to take on a contract for more than two years."

In other words, they've got every excuse in the book not to make a deal as the Feb. 19 trade deadline approaches. Shouldn't their take on what to do with their most vital asset have been the first order of business? Obviously, they're still not sure what to do ... which might be trade him tomorrow for the likes of Antawn Jamison or Shareef Abdur-Rahim, or figure out how to spin the news conference of a new contract in the summer.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
This cracks me up....

What does Kahn expect? I guess he wants Nash to tell him, "We're going to trade Rasheed no matter what" or "We're not trading Rasheed for anyone, period." Hey, Mike, when was the last time a GM told you something like that?

A smart GM would approach the Wallace situation with the perspective of "We have set a value on Rasheed and unless we get a trade that surpasses that value, we'll hang on to him." Sounds exactly like what Nash has done and is doing.

So of course he's not going to give a "definitive" answer on trading Rasheed. So far, they haven't been offered a trade that equals the value they have placed on him. And Nash isn't psychic - is he expected to be able to see in the future to predict whether or not a team WILL offer that level of value?

Nash is playing it smart, but Kahn sees it as "Obviously, they're still not sure what to do."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
What I don't like about this is that is appears the door is absolutely shut with respect to keeping Wallace. I'm not so sure that's the best business decision to make at this time.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I sure would like to know more about he clash between Nash and Sheed last week in Seattle

that may have something to do with it....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts