Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snippits:

But here is a trade that would work if Lewis agreed to take $70 million over seven seasons: Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson to Seattle for Lewis and Brent Barry.

It would be a lot for the Bulls to give up. Don't forget, though, it took the Bulls' top three scorers to pry their lone veteran star, Jalen Rose, from Indiana last February.

Lewis has displayed definite star power. The 6-foot-10 small forward, who skipped college and was a second-round draft pick in 1999, averaged 16.8 points and 7.0 rebounds for the Sonics last season - nice numbers for someone who just turned 23 years old on Aug. 8.
---
If the Bulls could pull off a trade for Lewis, they would have an accomplished scorer to pair with Rose and their starting lineup could be set for years - Lewis, Rose, Jay Williams, Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry.
---
The sticking point for Seattle might be taking Robinson, who has four years and $25.4 million left on his contract. The Sonics might insist on including Vitaly Potapenko, who is owed $17 million over three years, instead of Barry.

So...we learn that Sam Smith has some leads into the organization because McGraw is one of the better Bulls writers and he believes the Kukoc stuff...

Krauses refusal to say anything is encouraging too. When he starts talking, then nothing is happening. A lot to pay---but maybe worth it.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/main_story.asp?intID=37481142

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Krause make the call!

Seattle would definetly make us take Potapenko or maybe even Booth instead of Barry.

But by allowing us to sign Best or Hudson the trade is:

E-Rob, Fizer, & Crawford for

Lewis, Potapenko & Best

All the new guys could be locked in for the next 3 years leading to the following rotation:

PG - JWill, Best
SG - Rose, Hassel, Mason, Hoiberg
SF - Lewis (Rose)
PF - Chandler, Blount, Baxter
C - Curry, Potapenko, Bags

Alternatively, go a little slim at PG (add Ollie) and sign Rodney Rodgers or Harpring.

Wow - we would be set!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Interesting article, though I just don't see it happening realistically.

I do like the comparision between Lewis and Thomas. Its ironic that Thomas hasn't done much the past 2 seasons while Lewis has shown an All-Star caliber of play. But the Bulls did throw a max deal Thomas' way and gave no love to Lewis. Ironic.

I actually do LIKE this deal, and it would be nice if it could happen. Seattle would have to get a bit desperate (ie. not getting anything in return for Lewis) for this to happen. Though they may be high on Crawford, Fizer and Robinson offer very little to get excited about.

We'll see. This IS a buyer's market this offseason, and this may be the Bulls best chance to land a top tier FA. But seeing is believing.. and judging from the Bulls past FA happenings, I'll have to see multiple published reports before I believe anything. Even then, I'm skeptical.

We shall see.

VD

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
i like this deal. The more i read it the better i like it. If it happens the way its written and we still sign a vet with the exception we will be set! Then let this team play and grow together the next three years and see what we have.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It's an interesting take, but the reality as we have come to find out, is that everyone puts a much different value on players depending on the team involved.

For instance, Lewis is definitely not worth $10 Million to the Maverics, cause they have a roster full of talent. He duplicates much of what they have. Albeit younger, they wouldn't need his full time minutes.

On the other hand, Chicago, who has a definite need, due to unproven talent, would definitely use Lewis in full time minutes. His playing time and hopefully contribution may very well merit $10 Million from the Bulls.

What makes it worth the money and the loss of players(which is what concerns me the most) is if Crawford, Fizer, Robinson and Hassell haven't progressed enough. I feel comfortable with Baxter as back up PF. I feel comfortable that Jay Williams will be the PG we needed. I worry that Robinson and Crawford haven't progressed enough from their injuries, physically and physchologically. If Both Crawford and Robinson have that fire back and go all out to play D and get to the rim, then we the extra little bit that Lewis would bring isn't needed.

If they don't, it's gonna be a long season for everyone. One other point I like when I read about Lewis is that the Nucleus (Curry, Chandler, Lewis, Williams) would be together for many years to come. I do worry about Crawford jetting to Seattle or Washington (if MJ still involved) when his contract is up.

Warming to the idea, still hate to see Crawford and Fizer go. But, like the Clippers just did, Sometimes you gotta trade players whose future you love to get an rising star that helps the team move to the next level. In both situations, atleast we are dealing with young players and not 30 yr old vets.

We are building for the future......

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I like the deal as well, however.....

....I would much rather sign Harpring AND Tim Hardaway(This guy could do WONDERS for Jay plus he would be an adequate backup at PG.)

Oh, btw, is there anyway to include Vomit-Bags in that deal??? LOL:laugh: :yes:

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lewis talented, but not worth what he wants </b>!

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/5602359

Lewis talented, but not worth what he wants

"The crux of the matter is the Sonics know he isn't worth more than $60 million on the market, or somebody else would have gone after him by now"

I think the article has confused market offers and market worth. I think the crux of the matter is that the Sonics know that no one else can pay him $60 million on the market because everyone is over the salary cap. I propose that many teams would feel that he is worth the money, but they can't spend it if they wanted to ... unless the Sonics agree to a sign and trade.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I opposse this trade. Lewis is marginally better than a healthy E-Rob, why lose Crawford (who I expect to bust out this season), Fizer, Robinson + to get Lewis? Doesn't make much sense to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts