Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=mcgraw

Most every person I’ve encountered in the past 24 hours has suggested the same theory:

No one spends five nights in the hospital for a heart checkup. Something must be seriously wrong with Eddy Curry.
The Bulls might have tempered the concern by initially telling the truth about Curry’s condition.

When the fourth-year center experienced an irregular heartbeat before last Wednesday’s game at Charlotte, the team declared that he was suffering from flu-like symptoms and didn’t admit to the real story until it leaked out the next day.

But while this story seems odd, a well-placed team source continued to insist Sunday that there really is nothing more to it.
If the irregular heartbeat is controlled by medication, this could be the last we ever hear of it. The tragic stories of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, two basketball stars who died from heart problems, give the Bulls good reason to take every precaution.

Keep in mind, it’s the regular people with limited health insurance who are rushed out of the hospitals as quickly as possible. A wealthy NBA team can cover plenty of bills.
Off to see the Wizards: With 10 games remaining, it appears the Bulls are virtually locked into a first-round playoff matchup with Washington. The only question is which side will get homecourt advantage.
Washington is a difficult team to gauge because it’s missing three starters due to injury. Power forward Antawn Jamison is expected to return soon, but center Brendan Haywood and small forward Jarvis Hayes may not be back until late in the regular season.

Meanwhile, the Wizards have continued to win games because guards Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes have been most responsible for the team’s resurgence. Washington actually won four straight after Haywood was replaced in the lineup by smaller and quicker Etan Thomas.
These teams play just three times, and the final meeting on April 13 in Washington could go a long way to settling homecourt advantage, since the winner will clinch the season series 2-1.

A topic for debate until then is: When was the last time the Bulls played a truly meaningful regular-season game? The 70th win at Milwaukee on April 16, 1996?

In the dynasty years, the Bulls basically coasted through the regular season. Since 1998, the team has been horrible from start to finish.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Re: Mike McGraw on Curry's Hospitalization and Bulls regular season "meaningful" game

My question is: Do they have a bed long enough that his feet don't stick out and get cold at night?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into Curry staying in the hospital for four or five days.... I've never met a doc or a hospital that didn't excel at generating fees for itself when given the opportunity to do so. Eddy Curry and the Bulls are the fatted calf that the medical institution live for.

"Need more tests Mr. Curry? Sure, we'll order another battery of tests. You're knee looks a little swollen Mr. Curry. I think we need to run some tests to see if there's anything wrong. We're doctors. We love running tests. Particularly since we also own a share in the lab that's doing the tests! We've got some phychologists on staff... Would you like an IQ test or perhaps a personality evaluation? Here, sign this waiver form... We've been running halucenogenic tests on you in the evenings and our lawyers say you've got to sign this (damn lawyers!). We clear your memory before you wake up, but you know about those lawyers!"

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Re: Mike McGraw on Curry's Hospitalization and Bulls regular season "meaningful" game

Its not just a question of resources either. Eddy Curry is a freak of nature. I imagine the level of concern with someone who is his size and activitiy level would be much higher then the average patient. Oh well. I'm still hoping for the best. :(

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts

I'm assuming McGraw is as much a medical expert as any of us.

I'm sure this article is just pure speculatation (as we all are on here), and of course fearing something bad makes for a better story than being optimistic about results (with the lack of any real information to go by).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts