Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darius Miles went for 18 points in only 27 minutes of PT last night in the Cavs game against the Warriors. Maybe he still does have some potential? Has Cleveland been playing him more to showcase for Isaiah?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
He could still be a decent role player but he is a free agent at the end of the year. So he could easily leave.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
FOR THE RECORD,I like MILES for this team....We need an energiser and the guy has huge upside,even though he looks lost on the court alot of the time..

I just hope Williams doesnt go,but who else would cleveland want?

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Only person they could trade is Othello and Frank maybe Sweetney. The Cavs dont want Moochie. Thomas doesnt want to trade Frank and Othello for Miles but I heard thats what the cavs want.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont like Miles a ton, but he is the athlete that this team could use. I can see Marbury throwing many alley-oops to Darius on the fast break!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
He's definetly capable of games like this, if given the court time.

I think Miles is still oozing with potential only being 22 years old. People's knack on Miles is that he has no jumpshot, but in the 2 or 3 games I've seen him this year, his jumpshot has not looked nearly as bad as previous years. He's a pretty solid defender, but cannot really hold his own in the post. Really, this things can be improved with time.

He's averaging a career low in minutes, seems to be in Silas' doghouse. I'd like to see him in New York, where he could maybe find 30+ minutes a game.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
well....

Rodeny White
7.4 ppg
2.5 rpg
0.9 apg
0.5 spg
0.5 bpg
1.2 tpg
.453 fg%
.350 3pt%
.700 ft%
12.8 mpg

Darius Miles
9.2 ppg
4.5 rpg
2.2 apg
0.7 spg
0.8 bpg
1.6 tpg
.433 fg%
.172 3pt%
.542 ft%
24.7 mpg

White is a better scorer, but Miles does all those other things that make him more versatile. Ask yourself what the Knicks need more - another scorer, or someone that can do a little bit of everything? Would Rodney White get the same amount of shots on the Knicks that he is on the Nuggets? I think both are good young players, but I can't picture White being anything more than the 2nd coming of Lee Nailon for the Knicks.

Miles so far has taken 321 shots in 863 minutes.
White so far has taken 214 shots in 410 minutes.

I think it's clear that White isn't going to score nearly as much in NY, because his shots are going to take a hit. Miles on the other hand, is barely shooting during his court time, so I think the Knicks are a lot more likely to get 7 ppg out of him than from White. And they won't get hurt as badly on defense either.

I just realized something that may or may not swing in the Knicks favor. If teams want to keep restricted free agents, they have to make a qualifying offer. However, if teams make a qualifying offer, then they can be taken by Charlotte in the expansinon draft. That's part of the reason both Miles and White are on the block, and that's why the Bobcats are expected to get Rodney White. They'll either get him via draft, or they'll get him via free agency. I wouldn't look to get White, because it looks like Charlotte is going to get him either way.

Who are the Knicks going to protect?

In all likelyhood...

PROTECTED
Marbury
Houston
Van Horn
Thomas
Mutombo
Williams
Sweetney

UNPROTECTED
Norris
Harrington
Anderson
Hardaway
Doleac
Trybanski

How many players can be protected? 7 or 8? If it's 7, there's not much point to getting either of them because they'll lose either of them to the draft. Unless the Knicks want to gamble and make Mutombo, Van Horn, or Houston unprotected in the hopes that their contracts will scare Charlotte off. In the case of Houston it might, and Charlotte hopefully would not see much point in adding Mutombo in his retirement year, but I think they'd take Van Horn. He's a good player, and while he gets paid a lot, it would only be for 2 years. Robert Johnson is a billionaire, and has made it known he would be willing to take a hit if it helps the team in the long run (meaning he wants to generate excitement and draft a playoff team right away).

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I agree..the last thing the Knicks need is another scorer from the small foward position..Penny and KVH are ample...What the Knicks could use is a high energy run jump athlete...Like a Miles or a Wilcox..I love that guy.....

Houston should be left unprotected..As much as i like him he is waaaaaay overpaid.I think I siah like Doleac..Kind of a mormon Bill lambier

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Easy guys. It's a fluke. KVH brings way more to the table than miles could. So what if he can dunk? He hasn't showing the willingness to do much else. Furthermore KVH brings a lot of rebounds to the table. Miles doesn't. In my opinion this is very important.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Miles wouldn't be starting though. kVH is also a natural PF, a position the Knicks are now lacking at.

C Thomas
PF Van Horn
SF Penny/Miles
SG Houston
PG Marbury

Is the running lineup the Knicks can throw at opponents from time to time.

C Mutombo
PF Thomas
SF Van Horn/Miles/Penny
SG Houston/Penny
PG Marbury

Is the main lineup.

Van Horn can't guard every SF. Miles can guard the ones KVH can't, and Penny is also effective when teams use 3 guard alignments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts