Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF his shot continues to improve at the current rate why couldn't Darius play the 2?

Call my crazy or flame away. I'm your Target.
 

·
Retired From The Beat
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
Outlaw is more realistic at that spot. Despite the fact that he is afraid to shoot it from deep right now, he CAN do it. I've seen him. He has a nice outside shot.

Miles on the other hand can not shoot from three. He simply can't do it.

While Outlaw thrives on the perimeter, Miles is better suited for the post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
I just don't see his shot improving to the level of an average shooting guard. And no, Derek Anderson is not average. But, the experiment may be worth a shot if it means giving Outlaw and Khryapa more time while grooming Monya and maybe Green. However, I'd rather see what he could fetch us via trades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,819 Posts
Why can't we just let Outlaw and Miles play the WINGS like I have proposed for the last month. That is some serious athleticsm and length on the floor. Fastbreaks would bring a tear to my eye :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Why can't we just let Outlaw and Miles play the WINGS like I have proposed for the last month. That is some serious athleticsm and length on the floor. Fastbreaks would bring a tear to my eye :cry:
When the fastbreak fails, who's going to shoot the ball?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
Honestly, I don't really care whether or not my "shooting" guard can shoot. I want him to be able to defend other 2s and I want him to be able to handle the ball well enough to help the point guard deal with pressure. It's that second piece I'm concerned about with both Outlaw and Miles.

And yes, I'm clear that outside shooting needs to come from somewhere. However, summer trades and high drafts being what they can be, I'm willing to consider that we might have someone like VanHorn being the outside threat from either the 3 or the 4 spots. If there isn't someone who can hit from the outside at other positions, well, the team won't go very far if Outlaw and Miles are the best options at shooting guard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
No way in hell darius cant shoot to save his life I am a darius fan because his dunks not his stroke thats for sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Even if Miles COULD shoot well enough, he could never defend the two properly.

One-on-one, Miles is a pretty sub-par defender. He's good at coming up with a block on someone that isn't his man, but he can't stick to his man properly or make the correct switch.

In fact, if you watch him on defense - all he can do is follow the ball. Whoever has the ball is who Darius is runnign towards.

The last thing we need is open SGs on the floor because of this.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
Even if Miles COULD shoot well enough, he could never defend the two properly.

One-on-one, Miles is a pretty sub-par defender. He's good at coming up with a block on someone that isn't his man, but he can't stick to his man properly or make the correct switch.

In fact, if you watch him on defense - all he can do is follow the ball. Whoever has the ball is who Darius is runnign towards.

The last thing we need is open SGs on the floor because of this.

Play.
Miles is much like Theo Ratliff on the defensive end. Great help defender who can clog the passing lane and come over for the block. On one on one, he tends to let smaller offensive players get by him. Most of the times it just looks like he's not even trying. I think he could do wonders if he just put in a little more effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
Miles is much like Theo Ratliff on the defensive end. Great help defender who can clog the passing lane and come over for the block. On one on one, he tends to let smaller offensive players get by him. Most of the times it just looks like he's not even trying. I think he could do wonders if he just put in a little more effort.
A agree that he's not a great one on one defender, but I disagree that he doesn't put out effort. I think Darius is one of those guys that is so physically gifted that he APPEARS to be not giving full effort, even when he really is. His effort isn't as obvious as Ruben Patterson, who always looks like he's going a million miles an hour on both ends, but I think Miles does put out a strong effort defensively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
We'll have no three point shooting if Damon and Nick are gone next year. We have to get a SG that can hit the long ball consistently, so that rules out Darius and Travis.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
765 Posts
Well, Darius has shown some very good passing ability and court vision(to go along with his boneheaded turnovers). But overally he DOES have the ballhandling skills to be a SG, Travis Outlaw is not even close in that department yet.

His shooting is streaky, not horrible. And you don't necessarily count him out just because he's not a great shooter, when your team doesn't have any better options at starting SG. Darius probably is the best option to start at 2 next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
When I think of a SG for the future I do not think of Miles... He is not a good shooter at all, nor consistant.. he has had some flashes in the pants.. yes!

and now that I have seen more of Travis and Viktor playing.. I do not think of Miles as a future SF either...


trade bait on draft day... that is what I say
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Darius always looks so uninterested.....I think management is losing interest in him as well and he will be shipped out of town this summer...

Outlaw and Khrapya is our future at small forward...
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top