Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the game last night I was amazed at Miles ability to feed Rasheed and Zach the ball. Not only did he get it in to them, he put the ball in a place where they could easily make a shot.

Truelly great post passing IMO, let's hope he can keep it up!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I guess the beauty of not having a system is that it makes it very easy to get acclimated.

Person also impressed me on setting up the half court when he first joined the team.

could just be a fluke, or the new guy overperforming. could be they're still benefiting from the good coaching of their old teams.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
he does seem to be fitting in rather well... :D

it hit me last night when they were talking about the top picks in the draft being in the game last night...

and we got the #3 in Darius..... for Jeff Mcinnis and Ruben :naughty: what a steal this may turn out to be... a CBA signee and a 2nd rounder for a #3 :rock:

Darius is fun to watch... up tempo

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Ringbearer</b>!
Last time we traded a journeyman point guard for a prospect it turned out pretty well...
You mean Kenny Anderson for Damon Stoudamire?

Rod Strickland wasn't exactly a journeyman, he was a 2nd team all nba PG at least one year.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
With Miles in the game with Q, Zach, Sheed and Davis our team is huge. The other teams look pretty small from 1-4. I really hope Q can pick up the PG soon cause what a fast and tall team we'd have out there.

On this team there is no superstar. Zach not there yet so I think Darius may be thinking it's an open field to advance. In Cav land he was supposed to be Lebrons side kick.

Here it's anybodies game!

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!
Rod Strickland wasn't exactly a journeyman, he was a 2nd team all nba PG at least one year.
Was he? I do recall that Portland signed him when the Spurs apparently didn't express enough interest in retaining him... I also recall the Portland media acting like it was a much bigger deal that the Blazers lost Ainge the same offseason.

BTW, I like how Darius is fitting in as well. The post players have noticably benefited having more guys who can feed them (this includes DA).

STOMP

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Woods also feeds prettywell, so I hope that he gets the rest of the pg stuff down, or we move him to sg and get a REAL pg sometime soon. The blazers are getting better. :D

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's teh deal with the weakside wing on offense? All any of them do is hang out.

We play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
With Miles in the game with Q, Zach, Sheed and Davis our team is huge. The other teams look pretty small from 1-4.
I don't recall the Blazers ever running such a lineup (at any point of the past few games) nor do I envision it being utilized.

The "Big lineup" theory was scrapped for a reason.

Stoudamire/ Woods
Anderson/ Person
Miles/ Patterson/ Outlaw
Randolph/ Davis
Wallace/ Stepania

That is a far superior player combination and it has yielded defensive success over the Blazers past few games. I doubt Cheeks turns back now.

Woods
Miles
Wallace
Randolph
Davis

...Would be dissected on the defensive end as well as have trouble setting up the half court offence. I see this as nothing more then an extreme situational combination (against teams employing gimmick tactics).

-----

Wallace at center has benefited both he and the team (particularly on defense). The added size and rebounding that Miles brings in at SF makes the successful transition of Wallace at center plausible.

OT: Has anyone else noticed that Cheeks has gone to limiting Zach’s minutes down the stretch of close ballgames recently (for a more defensive look)?

Chicago
Sacramento
Memphis

…All big road wins.
Another reason I like Davis off the bench (It allows the Blazers to utilize Wallace/ Davis at PF/ C for the bulk of the 4th).

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!
Just looked it up... 2nd team All-NBA 1997-8 for Washington. Sort of odd to have recieved that honor and never having made an All Star team.
Cassell has never made an all-star team either.
Strickland was a very good PG (for quite some time). The fact that he never made an all-star game was a travesty. Perhaps it was due to his attitude (disciplinary) issues.

Strickland's numbers in the 95-96 season (as a Trailblazer).
ppg: 19.7... apg: 9.6... rpg: 4.4... spg: 1.5... FG%: (46%)... 3FG: (34%)

...how he failed to make the All star game with those numbers (on a playoff team) is beyond me.

Strickland was much more then just some journeyman.
Stats...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
As I recall, Strickland had some pretty stiff competition for making the All-Star team. Payton and Stockton, of course. Hornacek, I think. I think Clyde was still playing then. Can't remember if Mitch Richmond had taken his show to Washington by that point. I know there are a few others I'm forgetting... Kidd? Or did he come in the next year? I'm getting old...

Dan

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
As I recall, Strickland had some pretty stiff competition for making the All-Star team. Payton and Stockton, of course. Hornacek, I think. I think Clyde was still playing then. Can't remember if Mitch Richmond had taken his show to Washington by that point. I know there are a few others I'm forgetting... Kidd? Or did he come in the next year? I'm getting old...
All of these players are understandable selections but surely there has to be space for a 20/ 10 PG (It is not as though that happens often).

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
there has to be space for a 20/ 10 PG (It is not as though that happens often).
Don't forget, 10 assists per game was not such an astronomical figure back then. Today, anything over 7 a game is all-star material, but those were the days when Stockton routinely put up 14 a game and a handful of guys averaged 10 or higher.

Scoring was higher back then, too, so 20 points per game was a bit less signficant than it is now.

Don't get me wrong, Rod was a very good player back in the day, but he wasn't enough of a standout to counter his perceived attitude problems.

Dan

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!

Don't forget, 10 assists per game was not such an astronomical figure back then. Today, anything over 7 a game is all-star material, but those were the days when Stockton routinely put up 14 a game and a handful of guys averaged 10 or higher.
Great point. Same for scoring, but the difference is not as much as the difference for assist.

Edit: I missed that you already said the same thing about scoring. Great points.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good rebounder too

Beside the assists, Strickland was a very good rebounder. I remember his offensive rebounding in traffic was what really stood out in my mind. Ashamed that his game was often time overshadowed by his attitude.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts