Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nba.com/allstar2006/asb/eng/daily.html

Although there is a ton of great forwards in the west, I think he should be on there instead Robert Horry, Mike Miller, PJ Brown, Bruce Bowen ect.
It's nice to see Przybilla, Telfair and Randolph on there however.

Not that any of this matters since nobody on the team is very likely to be voted on by the fans.

Anybody else dislike having the fans voting the starters?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Chalupa said:
http://www.nba.com/allstar2006/asb/eng/daily.html

Although there is a ton of great forwards in the west, I think he should be on there instead Robert Horry, Mike Miller, PJ Brown, Bruce Bowen ect.
It's nice to see Przybilla, Telfair and Randolph on there however.

Not that any of this matters since nobody on the team is very likely to be voted on by the fans.

Anybody else dislike having the fans voting the starters?
well, outside of Horry, I can see why Miller, Brown and Bowen are there. Plus, it's not like Darius has done anything in his career (prior to today) to warrant it.

and IF he gets int, there'd be no way he'd make it as a starter. He MIGHT get picked by the coaches, but I doubt any Blazer does this year. We MIGHT get a sophomore player in the rookie game, and maybe Jack as a rookie. And unless Webster starts getting regular minutes, thats it.

btw, your lnk doesn't work. this one will

here
or if you dont want to sign up, here

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I dislike that fans are such idiots about who they pick. Have the same feeling about having citizens voting for our country's leaders, but maybe that's just me.

I also noticed the glaring absence of Darius Miles. With any luck, he'll average 25, 8, 5 and 5 from now until the All-Star Break while the Blazers go on a 25-10 tear through the league, leading the Stephen A. Smiths, Charles Barkleys, and Greg Anthonys of the world to sit up and shout "hey! ya screwed up! better give Darius some love!"

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I don't see why Bassy is on there he's good but not allstar good but i guess the allstars are sometimes the ones that are most popular not talent.Darius should be on there though its just typical nba adding bruce bowen and robert horry because they were from the spurs.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Forwards are set in stone in the west anyway. Duncan and Garnett... Duncan, Garnett... Duncan, Garnett.

Even a great player like Nowitzki has to get voted on by the coaches.

As for the fans voting, it's them who pay to see the game its them who bring in revenues, so they should at least get a chance to pick who they want to see.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Zidane said:
I don't see why Bassy is on there he's good but not allstar good but i guess the allstars are sometimes the ones that are most popular not talent.Darius should be on there though its just typical nba adding bruce bowen and robert horry because they were from the spurs.
might just be that they needed a PG from the team, but you're right. He really doesn't deserve to be on the ballot.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
A year or two ago at one of the Blazer games I attended they had a contest at halftime where they got a bunch of big dudes and had a who-can-eat-the-most-Tony-Roma's-Ribs contest.

That's the all-star game in a nutshell - a disgusting, sloppy, glorification of lack of self control. Utterly meaningless, immediately forgotten, with participants whose main motivation is to see themselves on the big screen.

Bah.

barfo

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Anyone else think it's a bit odd that the ballot comes out after some teams have only played 6 games? Players could crash after a hot start early in the season, in which they already accumulated votes.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
LameR said:
Anyone else think it's a bit odd that the ballot comes out after some teams have only played 6 games? Players could crash after a hot start early in the season, in which they already accumulated votes.
it's a popularity contest. Everyone here knows who's basically gonna start.

Kobe, Nash, Ming, McGrady and Duncan. Nash is the only "?" so far (depending on how phoenix does).

For the east, it'll probably be:

Wade, Iverson, Shaq, James and Carter

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Hap said:
it's a popularity contest. Everyone here knows who's basically gonna start.

Kobe, Nash, Ming, McGrady and Duncan. Nash is the only "?" so far (depending on how phoenix does).

For the east, it'll probably be:

Wade, Iverson, Shaq, James and Carter
Doesn't KG usually start over T-Mac?

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
gambitnut said:
In any sane world he does.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
gambitnut said:
depends. I think the Rockets will have a better season, and McGrady will gain some of the Yao effect.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Thus far im not to happy with tmacs performance he can score points but he puts up alot of abs in the games i was watching. Kg should start over him.I wish Zach would start it would be nice.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
if zach keeps up his double doubles, he could get picked by the coaches. again a toss up between him and brand. doesnt it seem like that's the case every year (brand vs someone else)?

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Maybe the folks who put the ballot together expect Zach and Miles to be Knicks by midseason? Nothing that comes out of the NBA front office shocks me anymore. :sigh:

On a related note, did anybody else catch that Simmons is already floating a Zach-to-the-Knicks rumor. :puke:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In my opinion, ZAch will stand no chance at going to an allstar game as long as the Duncan's, KG's, Dirk's, Tmac's, etc etc.....keep on having decent seasons. Zach wouldn't get the coaches vote over Brand either because in my opinion Brand is Zach Randolph with defense.

Prunetang

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Oldmangrouch said:
On a related note, did anybody else catch that Simmons is already floating a Zach-to-the-Knicks rumor. :puke:
For who? Penny Hardaway, "so that the Blazers can get cap space"? Do you have a link to this, because I'd love to slam hard on this rumor - both from a talent perspective as well as a logistical (ie, Zach's BYC status) one.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Storyteller said:
For who? Penny Hardaway, "so that the Blazers can get cap space"? Do you have a link to this, because I'd love to slam hard on this rumor - both from a talent perspective as well as a logistical (ie, Zach's BYC status) one.
if billy simmons said it, you know it's just a (poorly thought out) joke or his way of showing he thinks he has some inside knowledge to how things 'really are'.

my best guess is this article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/051116

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Storyteller said:
I've read the article. It isn't so much a rumor as it is Simmons taking potshots at Isiah Thomas and to a lesser extent, the Blazers.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It used to be that every team's starting lineup was on the ballot. Is it now 3 guys per team? Any idea how those three guys are selected? I would hope it's up to the team to say who their three guys should be.

You know what would be a better idea? To have the ballot be just previous all-stars. I say you have to earn your way onto the ballot by being chosen by the coaches first. None of this immediate voting on due to popularity BS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts