Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought here, but I imagine that Miles is a player that Portland could resign this summer for about 5 mil or so and in a sense plays kind of like Patterson, with better ball handling, but slighhtly worse defense. He also is quite a bit taller than RP.

If portland were to trade Ruben they could resigne Miles as the backup SF for Rueben type money or even less maybe. I'm just throwing it out there for now, but I think the aquisition of Miles really can add to the flexibility of what Portland can do personell wise in the next 3.5 weeks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think some team will take a flyer on Miles and offer him $6-8 million and we will let him go. And, if Rasheed wants to go home and play, he'll just walk away as well.

And there we will be. Imagine, counting on Damon as the team's best player.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
I think some team will take a flyer on Miles and offer him $6-8 million and we will let him go. And, if Rasheed wants to go home and play, he'll just walk away as well.

And there we will be. Imagine, counting on Damon as the team's best player.
How quikly we forget Z-Bo

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I would be surprised if any team this summer offers more then the MLE for Miles unless he shows something new here in PDX.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Trust me, I haven't forgotten "Mr. Defense". I enjoy watching him be the main reason we give up so many points in the paint. Score 20, give up 50. Makes it hard to win games.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Trust me, I haven't forgotten "Mr. Defense". I enjoy watching him be the main reason we give up so many points in the paint. Score 20, give up 50. Makes it hard to win games.
Who has scored 50 points on Randolph this year?

I had the same thoughts on Miles being much like Ruben Patterson...and he seems a lot like what Travis Outlaw will be.

I'd be disappointed if we weren't able to keep Miles and see if he develops...because why else would we let McGinnis go? McGinnis was a contributing player and would at the very least be a very good backup.

We let Jeramine go too soon and look what happened. You should give High School draftees at least 5 years before judging them.(unless they are out-right pathetic)

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Curious, what are Zach's +/- results? I need to bookmark that 82game, or whatever website. :yes:

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
That's difficult to imagine, considering Zach actually leads the league in points in the paint. In the paint, he isn't getting outscored by ANYONE in the league.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!

That's difficult to imagine, considering Zach actually leads the league in points in the paint. In the paint, he isn't getting outscored by ANYONE in the league.
That's not necessarily true. If the guy he guards consistently outscores him in the paint (and I don't know if they do or not), but they have trouble when they're NOT playing against ZR, then it's possible that Zach's heavy minutes push him above the rest of the league in points in the paint.

Not likely that he's outscored quite so badly as BP says, though :)

As far as Miles being the next RP: we've got the current RP, and he's on a long-term contract that's a bit too big. The more I think of Miles, the more sure I am that he's probably going to be gone after this year unless (a) Portland makes a big move that makes Summer 2005 irrelevent, or (b) he's a suddenly dominant player for Portland.

Signing Darius to a deal, even an MLE deal, takes too big of a chunk out of 2005, IMO, for us to re-sign him at his current level of play.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Here's the deal on Zach's defense. He has the responsibility to rotate into the key when our centergets drawn out. Wallace was very good at it. Zach is more often than not AWOL and when he is there, it doesn't make a difference. In a few of the games I've been to we were giving up over 70 points in the paint!! That doesn't happen when Wallace is at PF.

Obviously, I was being sarcastic over the 20/50 thing (people here are touchy), but the fact remains he's a tremendous defensive liability. Maybe he can get better. I really hope so. I also think he's still a lot rougher around the edges than most people think. He continuously misses open teammates... yes, he can learn all these things. But will he? So far all he's learned in some offense.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts

...he's a tremendous defensive liability. Maybe he can get better. I really hope so. I also think he's still a lot rougher around the edges than most people think.....
The problem with Zach is, he's so good offensively, it's almost been "demanded" that he start and get big minutes.

In a way, that's not really fair to the youngster because he hasn't been given the chance/time (as most) to develop defensively.

As you've indicated, BP, let's hope it does eventually happen.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Honestly, i think with Rubens great play latley this makes a perfect time to trade him.

If we could get a guy with a contract that ends in 2005 i would have a orgasm. Patterson is a good bench player, but he is never gonna gt better and is only getting older. He is also very overpaid.

I would love to re-sign Miles for JMAC type contract. Maby a 4 year deal where he gets 4M, 4.2M, 4.5M, 5M. That wouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
That's not necessarily true. If the guy he guards consistently outscores him in the paint (and I don't know if they do or not), but they have trouble when they're NOT playing against ZR, then it's possible that Zach's heavy minutes push him above the rest of the league in points in the paint.

Not likely that he's outscored quite so badly as BP says, though :)

Ed O.
At the Power forward position, per 48 minutes, Zach outscores his opponent 25.9 to 18.4

Since the bulk of Zach's points come in the paint, I don't believe it's likely that he is outscored in the paint on average.

http://www.82games.com/03POR12C.HTM

·
Jib and thrust
7,501 Posts
You want Miles to be another 'Kobe Stopper?'

Sorry. Had to insert some joke. Just like old times.

Anyway. This deal is very intriguing on several fronts.

First- I get what the original thread creator is getting at. Miles can replace Patterson. Miles is a bit more rangier on defense, even if his man to man defense isn't quite as good(but even thats debateable). Miles has better handles as well. Patterson has more range on his shot, and is more consistent with it.

Miles also has a good open court game. Dunno how that will fit in with Portland now....but it gives them options offensively.

What I think you'll see is Miles being retained after this year, for a reasonable price to come off the bench. As much as this may surprise many of you to here me say this, if I was Portland, I'd keep Sheed for a reasonable salary.

His defense makes him suitable to play alongside Randolph.

----------

My questions though, are the following: Where does this leave Outlaw? Aren't Miles and Outlaw essencially similar players? Was this just a cap move? Or was Portland looking for Miles to be a prospect for PDX's rebuilding?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

At the Power forward position, per 48 minutes, Zach outscores his opponent 25.9 to 18.4

Since the bulk of Zach's points come in the paint, I don't believe it's likely that he is outscored in the paint on average.

http://www.82games.com/03POR12C.HTM
I love those stats, don't get me wrong (I own Basketball Prospectus, where Hollinger defines his PER in detail, and gives "Game Scores" as a rough approximation)... I just don't see how they tell whether ZR is guarding a PF or a SF with any accuracy. Rasheed and he often switch off, and while it's possible they watch every game to tell the difference, they probably go by game logs, which don't account for that kind of thing.

For example, they have Zach playing the SF 36% of Portland's minutes. Do any of us think he really plays that much? I don't think that I do... the only time he's really playing the SF spot strictly is when Dale and Stepania are on the court with him... which is almost never.

*shrug*

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

I love those stats, don't get me wrong (I own Basketball Prospectus, where Hollinger defines his PER in detail, and gives "Game Scores" as a rough approximation)... I just don't see how they tell whether ZR is guarding a PF or a SF with any accuracy. Rasheed and he often switch off, and while it's possible they watch every game to tell the difference, they probably go by game logs, which don't account for that kind of thing.

For example, they have Zach playing the SF 36% of Portland's minutes. Do any of us think he really plays that much? I don't think that I do... the only time he's really playing the SF spot strictly is when Dale and Stepania are on the court with him... which is almost never.

*shrug*

Ed O.
Yeah, I really can't quite understand those aspects of the stats either. And I'm absolutely certain that the dude who runs 82games.com doesn't sit and analyze every game to see who is playing where and when.

Zach outscored his opponents at the SF too though.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

Zach outscored his opponents at the SF too though.
Unless the guy they have ZR guarding is actually being guarded by Rasheed and ZR's guarding the OTHER forward.

Because of the ambiguity in evidence with ZR's position definition, it seems that it invalidates the classification of his opponent, too, to a certain extent.

Ed O.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So, BP...

..You're actually saying you believe Damon is a better player than Zach? That's WAY out there where the buses don't run, IMO.

Go Blazers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts