Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

How did Portland do in the trade today?

• Big win (Miles is a stud and/or McInnis and RBB sucked)

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Good move (nothing great, but solid move that might set up another one)

Votes: 70 58.3%
  • Neutral (it doesn't matter that this move was made)

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Poor move (Damon stinks, or Miles stinks, or McInnis rules)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Terrible move (Damon stinks, or Miles stinks, AND McInnis rules)

Votes: 6 5.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you classify the Jeff McInnis + RBB for Darius Miles trade for the Blazers?

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I voted for neutral... I just don't think that Miles is an impact player that will make a big enough difference/change, so the Blazers IMO will be just as good with the trade as they were without it. Maybe Darius will prove me wrong, as I'm sure you would all love for that to happen.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Although this is close to one of your options, I'll vote:

Damon is now our only PG, and he sucks. And that sucks. I don't care about Miles, and McInnis ran the team better than Damon and Woods is too foul prone.

Miles is just a Trader Bob Athletic Freak clone.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Neutral for me, too. I see Miles having less impact than McInnis, and unfortunately, Jeff was at the position where we're most in the need of help. Whatever Miles provides is probably less -- at best, no more -- than what Jeff could/should provide at the point.

Dan

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I voted big win just becauseI love Darius so much, I already want to go out and get a PDX Dmiles uni...but I also don't think JMac stinks...edit that option please.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I think he is a huge trading chip...

Nash said as word leaked about the trade this morning.. he already was getting calls about him

I think its a score for another trade in a week or so

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nuetral for me. I like having Darious on the team due to 'POTENTIAL' but he's been disappointing so far and I don't see him helping the team this season.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>MAS RipCity</b>!
...but I also don't think JMac stinks...edit that option please.
It's an OR... as in you love Miles or you hate McInnis. Or both.

I really was just providing the parentheticals as a guide for reasons to vote in one of the five options. No one will be held to account for their vote or anything it implies :)

I voted "good move". I like Miles as either a prospect or as a shorter contract than McInnis. I like McInnis, but he's simply not a good enough player to force Portland to sit down Damon and because of that he wasn't in a position to help as much as we'd all like.

RBB obviously was never going to get minutes here. It'll be interesting to see how he fits in with Z, Diop and Battie in Cleveland. I can guess how many minutes he will get unless there's another Cavs trade. :)

Ed O.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I think for Portland, this was a good trade, that can be classified as a low risk-big reward kinda move. They get a guy with enormous talent, potential, and athletic ability. Giving up McInnis hurts, but I still feel this is a good move for the Portland organization.

·
Registered
995 Posts
How can other gms already be on the phone? You cant trade the guy for like another 60 days which means he would miss the trading deadline.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TyGuy</b>!
How can other gms already be on the phone? You cant trade the guy for like another 60 days which means he would miss the trading deadline.
that's what I though:confused:

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
You can trade a player twice as long as it is in the same day..That's usually how three-team trades work.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!

You can trade a player twice as long as it is in the same day..That's usually how three-team trades work.
Ok then they have about 7 hours lol.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I can't see how this is a bad trade for POR. Look at all the factors involved. First off, Miles is only 22yrs old, he still has time to improve. He is a restricted FA, so it gives POR the best of both worlds. They see how he does, and either let him walk for capspace, 1yr earlier than McInnis OR offer him a tender as a Restricted Free Agent, and then either resign him in 05' or let him walk, again preserving our capspace. So, we get a young player with loads of potential, who hasn't lived up to the hype yet of being drafted #3, and we lose nothing. McInnis is a solid backup PG, he is not starter material IMO, as for having a whole at the PG spot, this is not a big deal guys. Look at San Antonio, who is there backup PG? Isn't it Hart? A FA pickup? This is what POR will do IMO. We are talking about a guy there for insurance. Damon starts, Q gets his shot, DA could play there in a pinch, and then whomever they pick up as a FA. I don't see the big deal about losing Jeff, he was NEVER part of the long term solution here. Miles may not be either, but at his age and potential he COULD be if things break right for him.

Good trade...not great but good.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Remember when everyone was saying that Darius Miles would turn out to be the best player in his draft class? That was back when he was the highest-drafted high schooler (beating out that other superstar Jonathan Bender).

Still, for Jeff McInnis and RBB, practically ANYTHING would have been a plus. Remember also that McInnis just got demoted to THIRD STRING PG, behind Qyntel Woods. Also that he was almost single-handedly responsible for the Kings' lightning fast comeback at the end of regulation.

Shame about RBB, though. How many languages could he speak? That's got to count for something...

Interesting to compare Woods and Miles. Miles sounds like Woods crossed with Outlaw. And just as Cheeks is experimenting with Woods at the point, Miles was supposed to be Cleveland's PG at the beginning of this season.

This trade is surprisingly Trader Bob-esque.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>TyGuy</b>!
He can't be traded as part of a package for 60 days after the trade. He can be traded on his own, though, for whatever number of players the salary cap allows.

Portland could send him to Utah, for example, for a future pick. Utah's under the cap and need help at the SF spot with Harpring out.

Portland could send him to NY for Harrington, Sweetney, and Williams.

Portland could NOT send him with Rasheed in another deal after today... or rather not this season after today :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmurph</b>:
Look at San Antonio, who is there backup PG? Isn't it Hart? A FA pickup?
It was. Now it's Charlie Ward - who is better than our _starter._
But we could do worse than give Omar Cook another shot at the NBA. He can pass better than anyone on our roster, even if he can't do much else.

I don't see the big deal about losing Jeff, he was NEVER part of the long term solution here. Miles may not be either, but at his age and potential he COULD be if things break right for him.
Agreed.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
and ED O...

you can trade him to Chicago who has wanted him for Jamaal Crawford and filler :D

Jamaal can play PG right???

Yes, you can trade him on his own now.... but he can not be packaged with another player from us

1 - 20 of 56 Posts