Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After signing a multi-year contract with the Portland Trail Blazers, forward Darius Miles spent time with some of the area's youngest citizens.

The 22-year-old Miles talked with summer campers and signed autographs at the Mt. Scott Community Center & Pool (5530 SW 72nd Avenue, Portland, OR) on Wednesday afternoon.
More..

I know its nothing big, but its a slow day. Guy is a class act though.

BFreak.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Good job Darius :woot: Its awesome when our players do things like this

It is a big thing to all those kids....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
You do realize that it is:

(A) A marketing thing
(B) Part of their contract

NBA players have a "community" clause in their contracts. Most of these appearances are done to fulfill the contract.

Play.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
yes...... but tell the kids that..... they will not care one bit

look at the smiles Play

its worth far more than Darius's contract

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
yes...... but tell the kids that..... they will not care one bit

look at the smiles Play

its worth far more than Darius's contract
I agree ... but let's not say things like "nice job Darius" ... like he did anything of his own volition.

Most of these guys want to get it over with so they can go do their thing. Whatever it is that their thing is.

Play.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Personally I am glad to see that Darius has basically been in town during the offseason rather than most of the Blazers who go elsewhere..IE Zach.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
Personally I am glad to see that Darius has basically been in town during the offseason rather than most of the Blazers who go elsewhere..IE Zach.
Well, Miles impressed me with his comment on Reef ... so he got bonus points in my book.

Play.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Playmaker0017</b>!
I agree ... but let's not say things like "nice job Darius" ... like he did anything of his own volition.

Most of these guys want to get it over with so they can go do their thing. Whatever it is that their thing is.

Play.
But you do not know he did it on his own or if it was a team sponsored event. I believe Theo does it out of the goodness of his heart.... contract or not, he has a huge heart!

Maybe I need to go reread the article, but if he was on his own, maybe he did do it. But then again since he had cameras on him. The team must have known. So you are probably right.

I guess it would be more meaningful if I read it in the newspaper that these players went and did it on their own, and no camerass followed them around or team employees.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
My question is how can some of you say he is made to do it or doesnt really care?

I mean do you know him personally to say that?

Some guys actually like helping and to put him down for doing a great thing is absurd.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I used to shoot hoops at Mt. Scott... Montevilla and others.

Miles is a likeable character. The commercials he was in last year were a hoot.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!

But you do not know he did it on his own or if it was a team sponsored event. I believe Theo does it out of the goodness of his heart.... contract or not, he has a huge heart!

Maybe I need to go reread the article, but if he was on his own, maybe he did do it. But then again since he had cameras on him. The team must have known. So you are probably right.

I guess it would be more meaningful if I read it in the newspaper that these players went and did it on their own, and no camerass followed them around or team employees.
But we all know that all that happens when there aren't any cameras around is that the media doesn't pay any attention to those things and just reports the bad things the person does.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazerfan024</b>!
My question is how can some of you say he is made to do it or doesnt really care?
It is easy to say it. It is even easier to type it. All you have to do is find the key that represents the letter of each word you want to jot down. Then you press the key and viola a word is formed. You put a space between each word and you have a basic sentence. It is such an interesting concept.

Seriously, he may or may not decide to do it on his own, but considering the VAST majority of human beings don't involve themselves in "community center" visits and such ... I would have to statistically infer that basketball players wouldn't either.

I mean do you know him personally to say that?
I don't know Dahmer personally, but I can infer that he liked to eat people.

You don't have to know people personally to apply general statistical models to them. I doubt very highly that Darius Miles is some extreme humanitarian.

Doesn't it seem a bit odd that he did it within days of the new contract?

Some guys actually like helping and to put him down for doing a great thing is absurd.
I'm not putting him down. I'm saying it most likely wasn't his idea or choice. That isn't an insult, just a statement.

Play.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Maybe since he is locked up long term now he wants to make a difference in the Portland community. While before he was a free agent and he would try to make a difference in whatever team signed him community.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't believe he is spending the whole summer in portland. If this is correct, perhaps he decided to do something nice while he was in town. Whether it was out of the kindness of his heart or to fulfull something in his contract is anyone's guess, but I would hope regardless of the intentions he enjoyed giving back.

-Mr. Chuck Taylor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts