Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: Detroit News

Lack of playing time often breeds discontent, and Pistons rookie center Darko Milicic isn’t feeling too patient or happy right now.

Milicic said Thursday he is dissatisfied with his playing time and would like to meet with Coach Larry Brown to discuss the matter......
If so, what would you propose?
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
From the same article:

Milicic’s agent, Marc Cornstein, said his client isn’t having issues with the Pistons.

“He’s not frustrated, he’s just competitive and wants to play,” Cornstein said. “He’s not satisfied with being the 12th man.”
Besides we don't want anything from Portland, at least for Darko.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
I'd say this is a good sign. If he feels he should play, it must mean he's somewhat deserving of time. But I think it is best to give him the year to just watch, then next year we will all see why he was No.2
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>talman</b>!
Looking back now, I wonder how often Detroit curses themselves for not taking Melo? If Melo keeps playing and improving I'm certain we'll all look back at this someday and think Jordan/Bowie II.
Not if Darko improves as expected. We don't need anymore wing players, we need a low post scorer. Hopefully Darko is that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!


Not if Darko improves as expected. We don't need anymore wing players, we need a low post scorer. Hopefully Darko is that.
We already have Drexler. Sam Bowie is the guy who will take us to the championship, we just have to wait for some improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
I would trade Sheed for him. Detroit has a large number of expiring contracts to add as filler. IMO, that might be the best deal we might get without taking large salary and years back if we are planning of letting Sheed walk.
 

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
Joined
·
3,012 Posts
I wonder if Darko is going to surprise everybody in the playoff a la Tayshaun Prince last year.

hmm it's funny that Dumars fire Carlisle because one of the reason of the firing is Carlisle didn't give much chance to Prince during the regular season who blossomed in the playoff. And now, he hired Brown who is famous for not too keen on playing rookies.

That Wallace for Milicic looks good. I'm not a Blazers fan. but, if I'm given the opprtunity to trade Wallace for Milicic. I'll do it. You guys are kinds rebuilding anyway, right? And you guys already got some good young nucleus to start a franchise in Z-Bo, DMiles, and Qyntell. Adding Milicic to the mix wouldn't hurt.

If I'm going to send Wallace to Detroit, these are the players I want in return other than Milicic.

Mehmet Okur - he can be your temporary solution at C. Well, actually he can be THE solution at C. He's been awesome all season.

Chucky Atkins - Just to add depth to your PG position. He's a PG with scoring mentality. He's a poor man Troy Hudson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
That said, I'd trade Zach for him.

Are u serious....please say you are kidding :rolleyes: Why would u trade a guy who is improving and getting better and is avg. 21 11 for a rookie who has proven nothing except he is tall and young? Come on now
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tblazrdude</b>!


We already have Drexler. Sam Bowie is the guy who will take us to the championship, we just have to wait for some improvement.
Well I guess Melo is Jordan and Darko is Sam Bowie after 50 games. See how Darko pans out before you call him Sam Bowie. If and when he does pan out what will you say then. I'm not saying Darko will be the next great because I don't know myself, but you should reserve judgement until it is actually shown he's a bust. It's way too early to compare him to Sam Bowie.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RSP83</b>!
I wonder if Darko is going to surprise everybody in the playoff a la Tayshaun Prince last year.

hmm it's funny that Dumars fire Carlisle because one of the reason of the firing is Carlisle didn't give much chance to Prince during the regular season who blossomed in the playoff. And now, he hired Brown who is famous for not too keen on playing rookies.

That Wallace for Milicic looks good. I'm not a Blazers fan. but, if I'm given the opprtunity to trade Wallace for Milicic. I'll do it. You guys are kinds rebuilding anyway, right? And you guys already got some good young nucleus to start a franchise in Z-Bo, DMiles, and Qyntell. Adding Milicic to the mix wouldn't hurt.

If I'm going to send Wallace to Detroit, these are the players I want in return other than Milicic.

Mehmet Okur - he can be your temporary solution at C. Well, actually he can be THE solution at C. He's been awesome all season.

Chucky Atkins - Just to add depth to your PG position. He's a PG with scoring mentality. He's a poor man Troy Hudson.
Milicic, Okur, and Atkins for Wallace?

I'm not even sure that works under the CBA and even if it did why would we give up both of our promising young big men for Rasheed Wallace?
 

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
Joined
·
3,012 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!


Milicic, Okur, and Atkins for Wallace?

I'm not even sure that works under the CBA and even if it did why would we give up both of our promising young big men for Rasheed Wallace?
I'm just playing around with names and thinking who do I want if I have to give up Rasheed Wallace to Detroit. I didn't think about the salary cap either. of course it's not Rasheed straight up for three of them. Portland have to include a filler.

Hmm... now, Detroit's frontcourt are left with Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Corliss Williamson, Zeljko Rebraca. Well, that's not a bad frontcourt. Especially now you got the Wallaces !!!

Hmm what about the filler? Ruben Patterson? DD? Stepania? Damon?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
Of COURSE I'd trade for Darko. I'd give up Rasheed to get Milicic + filler... but I don't think Detroit would. And because of the way Detroit's built, there's not a lot of extra junk that can be used as filler from Detroit... Hubert Davis was one piece of junk, and they waived him last month rather than trading him in a package.

As far as Darko-Anthony: Carmelo's off to a very nice start, but I am still pretty sure that Darko's going to be better. Not this year, and probably not next year, but long-term I just like his size and potential better than Carmelo's.

Ed O.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RSP83</b>!


I'm just playing around with names and thinking who do I want if I have to give up Rasheed Wallace to Detroit. I didn't think about the salary cap either. of course it's not Rasheed straight up for three of them. Portland have to include a filler.

Hmm... now, Detroit's frontcourt are left with Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Corliss Williamson, Zeljko Rebraca. Well, that's not a bad frontcourt. Especially now you got the Wallaces !!!

Hmm what about the filler? Ruben Patterson? DD? Stepania? Damon?
You are highly undervaluing both Milicic and Okur. Giving us Patterson, Stepania, and those other guys aren't what I exactly call deal clinchers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,006 Posts
How about this trade? Detroit could add a late first round pick to it or not


Detroit trades: SG Bob Sura (3.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 13.1 minutes)
C Zeljko Rebracca (2.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 9.4 minutes)
PF Darko Milicic (0.9 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 3.2 minutes)
PG Lindsey Hunter (3.7 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 16.0 minutes)
Detroit receives: SF Qyntel Woods (4.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 13.6 minutes)
SF Rasheed Wallace (17.1 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.5 apg in 37.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.2 ppg, +4.1 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

Portland trades: SF Qyntel Woods (4.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 13.6 minutes)
SF Rasheed Wallace (17.1 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.5 apg in 37.3 minutes)
Portland receives: SG Bob Sura (3.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 47 games)
C Zeljko Rebracca (2.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 18 games)
PF Darko Milicic (0.9 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 15 games)
PG Lindsey Hunter (3.7 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 11 games)
Change in team outlook: -11.2 ppg, -4.1 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED


Except for Milicic, all are expiring contracts. We get our future center and still clear major cap at the end of the season and Detroit gets inside scoring threat would can share time at center in the east.
 

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
Joined
·
3,012 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!
You are highly undervaluing both Milicic and Okur. Giving us Patterson, Stepania, and those other guys aren't what I exactly call deal clinchers.
Yes, probably I'm undervaluing Milicic and Okur. Milicic himself and a filler like Atkins is probably enough for Wallace. I do know though that Okur is an excellent player. I'm just being greedy before :D

But, by acquiring Wallace you got the chance of forming one of the toughest front line in the NBA with Rasheed and Ben. I'm not undervaluing the Pistons, I've seen what they're capable of doing in the past two season with their excelent work ethic and collective play. But, with Detroit's lineup today, I think it's hard for them to be a legit title contender. Pacers look stronger and with the players they have, they look set for years to come.

You guys need a "Jermaine O'Neal" on your team. Probably that's why you draft Milicic. but, I never trust Larry Brown for developing players. So, the question is how long until Milicic is ready? If he's given the chance and quickly develop his game, GOOD! but if not, Wallace is worth a gamble. He will be your "Jermaine O'Neal" to compete with Jermaine O'Neal in the East. And he can start doing that this postseason rather than waiting for Larry Brown to develop Milicic. And Wallace still have 5 - 7 years in front of him. Four years from now, you will have four players in their prime in Billups, Hamilton, Ben and Rasheed Wallace. Not bad... not bad at all....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazerfan024</b>!

Are u serious....please say you are kidding :rolleyes: Why would u trade a guy who is improving and getting better and is avg. 21 11 for a rookie who has proven nothing except he is tall and young? Come on now
Well then I guess you would say the following teams made huge mistakes by trading for completely unproven players.

Lakers trading Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant

Pacers trading Dale Davis for Jermaine O'Neal

Mavericks trading Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki and Pat Garrity

Suns trading Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers for Joe Johnson and Casey Jacobsen

Magic trading Horace Grant for Corey Maggette

Nuggets trading Rodney Rogers and Brent Barry for Antonio McDyess when he was good, and later trading a gimpy McDyess for Marcus Camby and Nene

Being a good GM is about predicting which players will become stars BEFORE it happens. Many people including myself feel that Darko will become far better than Zach Randolph.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top