Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit News Article

Milicic said Thursday he is dissatisfied with his playing time and would like to meet with Coach Larry Brown to discuss the matter.

Milicic has not yet requested the meeting, but he said he will when the time is right.
Milicic’s agent, Marc Cornstein, said his client isn’t having issues with the Pistons.

“He’s not frustrated, he’s just competitive and wants to play,” Cornstein said. “He’s not satisfied with being the 12th man.”
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,371 Posts
Well if we are content on being the second best team in the East then I guess we could continue on in our ways. Why not try?

If you are trying to grab something off of a shelf way up high but just can't reach then why not take a risk and step on an old chair. Sure it may break but you also might get what you are looking for which in this case, is a ring or at least improvement.
 

·
Hokeamaniac
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
I'm certainly not content with being 2nd best, but I want Larry Brown to put us in the best position to win ball games. He's the one at practice watching Darko. If Darko were better than Zelly or Elden, he'd be on the floor. But, I judge from the limited minutes that Darko has gotten, where he has looked as a whole bad. If he looked good in his limited minutes (not having mental lapses, not playing like an 18-year old rookie) than I would agree. But, I haven't seen any indication that the kid is ready to play when the game is on the line. He certainly doesn't deserve anything handed to him because he was the number 2 pick in the draft.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,371 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jvanbusk</b>!
I'm certainly not content with being 2nd best, but I want Larry Brown to put us in the best position to win ball games. He's the one at practice watching Darko. If Darko were better than Zelly or Elden, he'd be on the floor. But, I judge from the limited minutes that Darko has gotten, where he has looked as a whole bad. If he looked good in his limited minutes (not having mental lapses, not playing like an 18-year old rookie) than I would agree. But, I haven't seen any indication that the kid is ready to play when the game is on the line. He certainly doesn't deserve anything handed to him because he was the number 2 pick in the draft.
You have a good point in saying Larry Brown is the guy at practice because he knows more then any of us and that is why he has his job. However, playing basketball myself in all situations. Starter, Star, Bencher and Scrub over the years I have, from my experience and others, learned that just being thrown out "there" isn't always as easy as it may look from the sidelines (Or on HTML! GO NBA.COM!). Let him start one game and play starters minutes. Let him see what the flow of the game is like and get USED to the flow of the game. Throwing him out there for two minutes and subbing him out is helpless and lowers morale. He is getting paid millions of dollars so he should deal with that eh? Maybe so but it doesn't mean he WILL deal with that. A coach teaches teams, a good coach teachers teams AND players. He should see Darko struggling and instead of giving up on him for the season try and do something about it now? We are losing and all teams lose so I am not bothered by that but the thing that bugs me is we lose the important games. We should beat New Orleans, we should beat Indiana if we wan't to get anywhere. If somebody has our record against top 5 East teams I wouldn't be surprised if it was below (if not well below) 500.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,367 Posts
The sad thing is that Darko is the 14th man on the team. I dont know why he was even drafted ahead of Anthony who averages more points per game than anyone on the Pistons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,371 Posts
I will let you off lightly but some of these other Pistons posters might not have done the same because there are millions of articles, interviews etc. that all come down to two words.


Tayshaun Prince.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Laker Freak</b>!
The sad thing is that Darko is the 14th man on the team. I dont know why he was even drafted ahead of Anthony who averages more points per game than anyone on the Pistons.
Easy to say now, but there was not a single team in the NBA that would have taken Carmelo over Darko in June.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,724 Posts
Give him a little more minutes now will be nice, but the main thing is for Darko to continue to work hard during practices etc and be ready to play a more important role on this team next year.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A quote from an article Brian posted regarding a potential trade?

“God forbid he would not make a peep,” Dumars said. “You want him to have that fire in him. It (the comments) did not bother me at all.”

Nor do they sway Dumars, who stands by the plan not to play Milicic much this season.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,371 Posts
To coach effectivley the players have to respect the coach. Darko is not getting played AT ALL. There is a difference in developing a player and ripping apart a players morale. Look at all the other scrubs in the NBA.

Exhibit A)

Ryan Bowen 40GP, 7.5 MPG.

Does anybody honestly think that Ryan Bowen is better then Darko? He gets more minutes on arguably a better team. If the coach thinks this low of Darko then it is just going to stunt his growth emotionally and skilfully. The least the coach could do is have some respect for Darko and put him on the IR so he isn't taunting him to want to play. Like what Miami does with the Wangster.

Exhibit B)

Wang Zhizhi 11GP, 8.5MPG

Low talented unready scrubs play 5 mpg at least when they are not on the IR, residents of the dog house play 3.2mpg and sit on the bench for all but 15 games of the season.

Brown is killing Darko. At least we are winning. At this rate we will go undefeated through the playoffs.
:rolleyes:

Am I bitter? Yes.
 

·
Hokeamaniac
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!
To coach effectivley the players have to respect the coach. Darko is not getting played AT ALL. There is a difference in developing a player and ripping apart a players morale. Look at all the other scrubs in the NBA.

Exhibit A)

Ryan Bowen 40GP, 7.5 MPG.

Does anybody honestly think that Ryan Bowen is better then Darko? He gets more minutes on arguably a better team. If the coach thinks this low of Darko then it is just going to stunt his growth emotionally and skilfully. The least the coach could do is have some respect for Darko and put him on the IR so he isn't taunting him to want to play. Like what Miami does with the Wangster.

Exhibit B)

Wang Zhizhi 11GP, 8.5MPG

Low talented unready scrubs play 5 mpg at least when they are not on the IR, residents of the dog house play 3.2mpg and sit on the bench for all but 15 games of the season.

Brown is killing Darko. At least we are winning. At this rate we will go undefeated through the playoffs.
:rolleyes:

Am I bitter? Yes.
Those guys know how to play NBA basketball. I wouldn't say that the Nuggets are better than the Pistons either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,155 Posts
Hey, Darko, if you want playing time have a meeting with your coach first. I agree that he deserves a least the chance at earning more time (which he obviously isn't getting) but be professional about it and talk to your coach first. These little brats need to grow up.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>jvanbusk</b>!


Those guys know how to play NBA basketball. I wouldn't say that the Nuggets are better than the Pistons either.
I was going to say the same thing. The Pistons are in the elite group of NBA teams that include the Kings, Lakers, Mavs, Pacers, T'Wolves, Spurs, and maybe the Nets if the recent play is any indication of how they'll finish the season. It's a clear dropoff after those teams.

As for Ryan Bowen and Wang Zhi Zhi -- it isn't so much that they're better players than Darko, but they are readier than Darko. Darko problems IMO are more mental than physical.

Who should we get to coach our team? LB is winning games and people still want more out of him. He's doing his job and doing it well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
I don't buy the whole not ready thing.

If he'd been getting 5 minutes consistantly since the start of the year he'd be ready by now.

Remember how bad Memo looked when he started playing last year and how you could literally see him start playing better and start understanding the game more every time he saw the floor?

It's not that Darko couldn't play right now, it's that the Pistons don't want to have to suffer throught the mistakes (turnovers, missed defensive assignments) that all rookies make (even Lebron and Carmelo) and aren't willing to put the time in to work him throught those mistakes when there are capable veterans available.

I'm not saying the coaches are wrong for doing this and I'm not saying they're right. It's simply a decision they made.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!
I don't buy the whole not ready thing.

If he'd been getting 5 minutes consistantly since the start of the year he'd be ready by now.

Remember how bad Memo looked when he started playing last year and how you could literally see him start playing better and start understanding the game more every time he saw the floor?

It's not that Darko couldn't play right now, it's that the Pistons don't want to have to suffer throught the mistakes (turnovers, missed defensive assignments) that all rookies make (even Lebron and Carmelo) and aren't willing to put the time in to work him throught those mistakes when there are capable veterans available.

I'm not saying the coaches are wrong for doing this and I'm not saying they're right. It's simply a decision they made.
Carlisle was also forced to play Memo due to injurues. But even when Memo wasn't on Carlisle's "good side" and not playing big minutes, he still looked a lot better than Darko has. That's a good point though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!
I don't buy the whole not ready thing.

If he'd been getting 5 minutes consistantly since the start of the year he'd be ready by now.

Remember how bad Memo looked when he started playing last year and how you could literally see him start playing better and start understanding the game more every time he saw the floor?

It's not that Darko couldn't play right now, it's that the Pistons don't want to have to suffer throught the mistakes (turnovers, missed defensive assignments) that all rookies make (even Lebron and Carmelo) and aren't willing to put the time in to work him throught those mistakes when there are capable veterans available.

I'm not saying the coaches are wrong for doing this and I'm not saying they're right. It's simply a decision they made.

i couldnt have said it better myself and coming from you it will get less flack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!


Carlisle was also forced to play Memo due to injurues.
I think a lot more is made about how Carlisle didn't play Memo than what is accurate. Memo saw the floor in 72 games last year and averaged 19 minutes. Memo was getting around 15 a game even early in the season when Zelly was still the starter and we were at full health. He was more NBA ready than Darko, but he still improved dramatically as the season wore on.

There are definately pro's and con's to not playing Darko, by going with the vets, we proably won a lot of games early that we might not have won, but by not playing Darko we might be sacraficing a couple games down the road, who knows?

There is a difference between being ready and being a rookie? No, Darko isn't ready to be counted on to give 15 minutes of heads up basketball and solid decision making, but in terms of being ready for the NBA, I don't think he's any less ready than guys like Jarvis Hayes or Chris Kaman.
 

·
*Floor General*
Joined
·
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would like to know when you suggest playing Darko... We're not blowing anyone out, so every minute counts and like I've said plenty of times I'd rather have Big Ben, Memo, Elden, and Corliss out on the floor before Darko.

I also think you're underestimating how much more prepared Memo was than Darko. I don't think Darko's problem is the physical aspect, but the mental aspect. He just looks lost. I don't recall ever seeing Memo as lost or confused as I see Darko. Also unlike Darko, Memo showed much more signs of being a contributing player. When you get your chance you have to makle the most of it. Memo did his thing last year and in turn he got PT. Tayshaun failed to show he could be a contributing player last year around mid-season and in turn he returned to the bench. In the playoffs he stepped up and received PT. Darko sans the Sacramento game has not shown these signs IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top