Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Might be another bluff........We'll wait and see??

This might be another speculation opinion....
No other sites have posted that info???
I live in LA, and trust me....I would've heard about this info if it was true from our local Sports channels or radio talk.

Just the other week, some sports guy on the radio, reported that a deal was done for B.Davis, Clippers would send Odom and Dooling straight up for Davis????? It's well over a week ago, and all the players are still with their teams. Who knows though??? might be something in the works, I would take that trade anyday - Dre for Darius:yes:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
If Elgin & the coaches had to talk Sterling into a deal like this, one can readily see that Sterling either isn't up on current players OR he is afraid they'll win and that'll mean MONEY going to his players. At least that is what I read when I read that statement.

I also would not hesitate to send Miles to Cleveland for A. Miller. That is such an easy decision, that it seems almost unbelievable that a deal like that could actually even be discussed.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
The interesting thing is going to be who that 3rd team is.... The Cavs will probably receive more than just D. Miles

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, but who would the 3rd team get. I imagine it would be some1 from LA. Myabe Wilcox or somethin?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Re: Might be another bluff........We'll wait and see??

Originally posted by LA-Drew
This might be another speculation opinion....
No other sites have posted that info???
I live in LA, and trust me....I would've heard about this info if it was true from our local Sports channels or radio talk.

Just the other week, some sports guy on the radio, reported that a deal was done for B.Davis, Clippers would send Odom and Dooling straight up for Davis????? It's well over a week ago, and all the players are still with their teams. Who knows though??? might be something in the works, I would take that trade anyday - Dre for Darius:yes:
I hope not. I would not want Odom and Dooling for Davis. I hope Davis remains a Hornet!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Baron Davis is supposedly on the verge of accepting the Hornets' offer.

And it's starting to look like the Clips have dropped out of the running for Andre Miller. They are going to have a hard enough time re-signing Olowokandi and Brand (and Maggette, too?) next offseason, and besides, they have two young PGs, Marko Jaric and Keyon Dooling, to work with, surely one of these two dudes will work out, right?

Besides, why would the Clips give up an Odom or a Miles for Miller when they can go get a short-term replacement PG for NOTHING right now--they could re-sign Jeff McInnis, or they could pick up Chris Childs or Travis Best or Rod Strickland--and wait a year or two for either Jaric or Dooling to inherit the job?

I think that if ANY team is going to make a move for Andre Miller, it's the Wizards. Washington suddenly has about 15 or 16 guys on their roster who deserve to play. Would any team put together a better package than, say, Jared Jeffries and change for Miller? Maybe not! If MJ would agree to take on Zydrunas Ilgauskus, he could get Miller for not very much at ALL; how about this trade:

Andre Miller and Zydrunas Ilgauskus to the Wizards; Jared Jeffries, Chris Whitney, Christian Laettner, Etan Thomas, Tyronn Lue, Hubert Davis, and Rod Grizzard to the Cavs

Here's the Wiz after this trade:

PG Andre Miller--Juan Dixon
SG Michael Jordan--Larry Hughes
SF Richard Hamilton
PF Popeye Jones--Kwame Brown
C Jahidi White--Brandon Haywood--Zydrunas Ilgauskus

Hopefully, MJ can help Hughes fulfill his potential in this league (I can't believe other teams gave up on this guy so quickly!), Rip Hamilton will come to his senses sometime over the next 12 months and realize he's not worth the max, Kwame Brown will start playing like a former #1 overall pick, and that the Wiz get SOMETHING out of Ilgauskus over the next three years.

Here's what the Cavs look like after this trade:

PG Dajuan Wagner--Chris Whitney--Bimbo Coles
SG Ricky Davis (re-signed)--Hubert Davis--Tyronn Lue
SF Lamond Murray--Rod Grizzard
PF Tyrone Hill--Jumaine Jones--Jared Jeffries--Carlos Boozer
C Christian Laettner--Chris Mihm--Etan Thomas--DaSagana Diop

The Cavs would rid themselves of Ilgauskus' huge contract ($12.4 mil next season, $13.5 mil in 2003-04, then $14.6 mil in 2004-05). Lue's contract is up after next season, Whitney and Hubert and Etan Thomas each have two seasons left on THEIR contracts. Jeffries and Grizzard are, of course, both rookies. The only undesirable contract is Christian Laettner, who has three years remaining on HIS contract--but hell, he's a LOT cheaper than Ilgauskus, isn't he?

The Cavs are obviously getting really ripped off here, but hell, at least they get SOMETHING for Andre Miller--if the Clips are out of the picture, and if the Pacers are happy with Tinsley as their PG (not to mention the fact that Indiana will have a big enough problem re-signing Jermaine O'Neal AND Reggie Miller AND Brad Miller AND Jonathan Bender AND Ron Artest AND Jeff Foster next summer), well, who else out there can put together a better package than Washington? Here are some other possibilities:

Trade with Bulls: Marcus Fizer and Jamal Crawford for Andre Miller and Bimbo Coles (Washington's offer is better)

Trade with Warriors: Lots of possibilities, including a) Mike Dunleavy, Bobby Sura, and Chris Mills for Miller and Ilgauskus, and b) Dunleavy and Mills for Miller, Coles, and Lamond Murray (any package for Dunleavy seems better than Washington's offer)

Trade with Grizzlies: Stromile Swift, Jason Williams, Tony Massenburg, and Cezary Trybanski for Miller and Ilgauskus (I don't like this deal because I don't like Swift)

Trade with Jazz: Andrei Kirilenko, DeShawn Stevenson, and Raul Lopez for Miller (not a great offer, obviously)

The deals above DO work on RealGM, by the way.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
One problem with your trade Robyg

is the Cavs have 11 quaranteed salaries already. Trading Andre and Z for all those Wiz players will probably not happen... they would fill the 12 man roster, plus fill the injured list, plus some left over. I agree the Wiz could use Andre, but they probably won't get him with your suggested package of players. By the way, how has Jefferies played in SL (have the Wiz had their SL games yet?)

One other point.... the Cavs can keep Andre for another year and allow Wagner to transition into the league without having to play point, and the team would probably still miss out on the playoffs and get a shot at LeBron. People say the Cavs burnt the bridge to Andre, but that does not seem to be the case from what Coach Lucas says. Another point, I think Andre, if traded, would desire to go west, not east.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Mongolmike...

Originally posted by Mongolmike
is the Cavs have 11 quaranteed salaries already. Trading Andre and Z for all those Wiz players will probably not happen... they would fill the 12 man roster, plus fill the injured list, plus some left over. I agree the Wiz could use Andre, but they probably won't get him with your suggested package of players. By the way, how has Jefferies played in SL (have the Wiz had their SL games yet?)

One other point.... the Cavs can keep Andre for another year and allow Wagner to transition into the league without having to play point, and the team would probably still miss out on the playoffs and get a shot at LeBron. People say the Cavs burnt the bridge to Andre, but that does not seem to be the case from what Coach Lucas says. Another point, I think Andre, if traded, would desire to go west, not east.
Dude, you're totally right. Andre Miller isn't a free agent until NEXT summer--and even THEN he's still an UNRESTRICTED free agent! So, if the Cavs aren't going to make him a really great (i.e., max) offer, they still have over a year to trade him. And if the best they can get for Miller is some of the possibilities I mentioned above, well, they should just hold onto him. You're right.

If that Wiz-Cavs deal DID happen, well, the Cavs don't really have to worry about having "too many players," they could always stash guys on the IR or just waive them.

The Utah Jazz will be WAAAAAAAY under the cap next summer, so what happens if they make Miller a max offer? What would Cleveland do? Would they match that offer? Let's say they wanted to match the offer and then ship him to Utah in a sign-and-trade--but what if Utah refused to play the sign-and-trade game? Doesn't that put Cleveland in a tough position, i.e., they must either let him go with no compensation whatsoever OR re-sign him to a max offer (that they don't want to sign him to in the first place) and be stuck with him?

I guess that's why I think that, if the Cavs are going to trade the guy, they should do it NOW, rather than LATER. ALSO, if they try to put together a sign-and-trade next summer, they're going to have to take on an equal amount of payroll. In other words, if they re-sign Andre for $12 mil, they're going to have to take on $12 mil worth of salaries in the sign-and-trade deal (unless they are dealing with a team WAAAAAAY under the cap, like the Jazz or Nuggets, but there are NEVER more than a few such teams)--BUT, if they trade him BEFORE next summer, they only have to take on $2.5 mil worth of salaries from the other team involved in the trade. You know what I'm saying? Trading Andre Miller NOW is going to be a LOT EASIER than trading Andre Miller LATER!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts