Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow I just realized the Rockets (26-21) now have the same record as the Bucks in the East, shows just how far Houston has fell recently (or how far Bucks have risen!)
Rockets are on a 4 game losing streak, and this IMO is a must win for them. First game back for Francis from his Superbowl suspension, will be interesting to see how he performs.

Probable Starters:

Bucks Rockets
C Brian Skinner Yao Ming
PF Joe Smith Kelvin Cato
SF Tim Thomas Jim Jackson
SG Micheal Redd Cuttino Mobley
PG T.J. Ford Steve Francis

Key Match-up: Micheal Redd v.s. Cuttino Mobley
Redd should be full of confidence now that he's been player of the month and selected to the all-star game. Mobley better not get into a 3 ball contest w/ Redd and concentrate on some D.

Key to the game: I've made this point many many times - If Houston stays away from the perimeter game and let Yao have his way, they win. This is especially true against the Bucks, who really have no one who can stop, let alone contain Yao. Also, Francis better smarten up and not try to do too much on his own, Houston fans are pissed off at him enough already :upset:

Final Prediction: Houston 92 Milwaukee 84

Yao's forecast: If Francis does his PG duties and feeds Yao the ball, expect a big game from the Dynasty. 26pts 12 rebs 3 blks

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
But when the Rockets lost Saturday to the Nets, Van Gundy said his team lost its heart. A day later, it misplaced its point guard, top scorer and highest-paid player.

Van Gundy said Monday that he became the Rockets' coach in part to coach Francis.

Sunday's incident -- Van Gundy said Francis told him he skipped the team's flight to attend the Super Bowl, and Francis' agent said Francis attended to personal, family matters -- has not changed his mind.

Francis vehemently disagreed with Van Gundy's decision to suspend him. But Van Gundy said that for him, the issue ended with Monday's game.

"I came here because of the players we had and particularly because of Steve," Van Gundy said. "This is just an unfortunate thing. It is just a small bump in the road. Hopefully, we'll make some progress and start to play better.

"I've disagreed with my best players about many things strongly, and they've disagreed with me. It shouldn't be a problem.

"My feelings on the matter really don't matter. I'm just trying to make the best of things to give us the best chance to win long term."

Evaluating a team at the lowest or highest point is likely to produce inaccurate conclusions. The Rockets face the Bucks tonight at the lowest point of the season. If the Rockets were not troubled enough by their losing streak, they tormented themselves with the knowledge that they have gone down so easily, so relatively effortlessly.
Here is an interesting Van Gundy's point.

[Link]

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Good win for the Rockes tonight, they FINALLY scored more than a 100 points at home so the fans go home happy with their free big mac... all 12,000 of them :no: Mo has been playing big down the stretch, and as always when the Rockets play well they have no troubles winning. Consistency is the key to how well the Rockets do.

Big number: Only 10 TO's for the Rockets today.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, good win due to good D and few turnovers. Still I'd like to have seen less perimeter shots though... 41 shots btw Jackson, Mobley, and Francis and only 9 from Yao :upset:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yao Mania</b>!
Agreed, good win due to good D and few turnovers. Still I'd like to have seen less perimeter shots though... 41 shots btw Jackson, Mobley, and Francis and only 9 from Yao :upset:
That's not too good. Yao needs to shoot more. Without him getting the ball more and shooting more the team is not fully utilising its resources. Yao can be dominant down low and if he gets to shoot enough then he can do damage and chances are, Houston will win when that happens.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yao Mania</b>!
i don't really think you can blame that on the perimeter guys. yao just isn't aggresive enough down low. when he can't get good position, he's not going to get the ball. and when he does get good position, he needs to do something with the ball. it's not like the guards are excluding him in the offense. he gets the ball and he gets lots of chances. if he can't get a shot, eventually someone will have to shoot the ball before that shot clock runs out and usually that doesn't end up being yao.

i think people need to realize that yao just isn't a dominant force every night right now. he will have some great nights, but not all the time. if you expect yao to dominant most of the time and take a lot of shots, you are going to be disappointed most of the time because that just isn't how yao has been playing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts