Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
{I just went to one of there practices today and it was very informative, all 3 hours of it! This is based off of what I saw last season and what I saw during practice and there Midnight Madness events.}

I know most of you will say I'm bias, but if you don't believe me just watch how the season plays out.

Ok, I obviously this they are going to the a very solid basketball team this year. Main reason, well they have the best player in the Big Ten hands down in Rick Rickert how by the way added 12 lbs of muscle to his frame this off season. But they have many more very good basketball players that should make this a team to be reckoned with.

*PG Kevin Burleson-A tough senior, very good at passing the ball, he is on another level when he is playing well, just looks like he knows something all of the defenders do not. Very smart on the court, should provide a ok scoring option but not much, he is a very leader for this team and really knows how to set guys up on the break and in the offense.

*SG Ben Johnson- A very agile big PG or SG, should have a big time season this year. Has great size at 6-3 and will provide a very veteran leader on the floor. Probably will be the third scoring option on the team, should find it a lot easier scoring with the super star like Rick drawing double teams. Is very agile, has a lot better handle than I thought and has a nice little jump shot as well to his game.

*SF Michael Bauer- Very good athlete, won the dunk competition in Midnight Madness. Has good size at 6-8, can score in the post or outside, very good clutch 3 point shooter with nice range. Is a very good competitor is and is probably the teams emotional leader. Could make some matchup problems if he plays the 4 as well, good at attacking the hoop and gives his all every time.

*PF Rick Rickert- Well this guys is obviously talented, people don't think he can dribble but at midnight Madness he was sitting on the court and dribbled the ball around him with his hand making the basketball move like a ping pog ball! Very good handle, really improved, can switch directions as well and take it up the court. Has a sick feel down low, very agile in the air, can go behind the hoop and lay it up on the other side with on hand. Has great touch inside and outside, not the most consistent shooter but that will come in time. If he improves on defense and keeps working on that jump shot he should be a lock for the top 5 in the draft.

*C Jerry Holman- If you don't know him, well you should. Awesome athlete at 6-11, guards the PG on there zone defense at times. Very long arms, can really run up and down, should have a very good season. If he improves his low post scoring and man defense against bigger players he could be something. But should be more of a offensive threat this year, again great run and jump athlete, very intense player.

*PG Aaron Robinson- Should be like Hall was on Gonzaga a fue years ago. Pretty athletic tough little guard at 5-10, and by athletic I mean he can catch lob passes. Very quick, should be a good change of pace guy on the team just needs to improve his shooting.

*SG Maurice Hargrow- Good slashing player, has awesome quickness and has good range on defense. Very athletic and can get to the hoop, and has some fire in him competitively, if he just gets a jump shot there set, another good bench player for the team and has great upside.

*C Aliou Kane- Here is where the improvement comes in, the size. Very big FROSH, has pretty long arms. Is obviously not that sound on offense but should be a very good defensive presence inside with his shot blocking and rebounding ability, and he is quite athletic to runs well, not a slow center but some what raw.

*SF Stan Gaines- Another very athletic FROSH, has awesome agility and strength. Is build like a 5th year senior but he just got here, he is there most phyisically built player on the team and it shows. Great athlete, can do a under the leg dunk and seems pretty smart on the court, knows what he is doing and attacks the hoop really well, he is a long shot to be Big Ten FROSH of the year, but he has the ability to do so, very talented player.

*SG Kris Collins- Is alittle hard headed but that is good, former JUCO player he is a really athletic guard, loves to attack the hoop and can finish when he gets there. Should be a great backup SG or PG, and if all goes well he could start next to Johnson maybe. Good defender and as I said is really confident and strong headed, but I think that is a good thing, good defender and not afraid to mix it up.

*SG Steve Esselink- I thought he was just a shooter but he is way more athletic that I thought, probably one of there most athletic players agility wise. Good shooter when open, and looks a lot more confident that last year, can play SF as well but should be a good guy to get open looks for Rick, second best three point shooter next to Bauer.

*C Jeff Hagen- Giant man at 6-11 265, was the bull that went after Rick all last year to toughen him up. Very phyisical player and has some agility to him. Can move pretty good and might even provide a low post threat, has good quicks. But main thing is that he will be a good solid defender against the opponents big man, again the thing they were missing last year was size, and now they have it, is a great body do bang down low.

Only problem is that Adam Boone can't player because that would be great to get him in there this year but he transfered and has to site out a season. Because they would be locked and loaded to make a run with a veteran PG that can score but Ben and Kevin will just have to do, and the FROSH can make up for Adam not being there. The only team that should give them trouble in the Big Ten is Michigan State, and they have a tough on against Georgia as well but that is pretty much it. And if you don't think Rick Rickert is the best player in the Big Ten like to see you find a better one. I predict they should be in the Top 15 once the season is over.

If Rick learns for last year and says out of foul trouble and becomes more consistent on his jump shot watch out. And I think Ben will have a very big season and they need him to. But the wild card is the guard Collins, Gaines, Hargrow and Robinson, if they can get production out of them off the bench they could be really good. And I sure Hagen, Kane will sure up the post defense. But obviously they will go as far as Rick will take them.

And my vote is Rick WILL take them pretty far this year.

(I'll be the first to say the the Gophers college Basketball program is offically back and is here to say thanks to Rick Rickert)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'll reply to your post but you gotta reply to mine...damn this board is almost as boring as watching penn state play. I'm not a minny fan but I think that they should be the best team in the Big10 this year. I think that MSU will struggle mainly from lack of a good pg, and besides that nobody else really scares me in the big10. Minny should be lead by Rickert obviously and the scrappy D they had last year. Hopefully they play similar to last year because they were one decent team Michigan could actually beat. Pretty amazing wat Munson has done under NCAA restrictions, hopefully Amaker can do the same.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty amazing wat Munson
His last name is Monson with no "u". Sorry but when it comes to names I care about spelling, everything else I don't give a damn but names are important.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He could come out any time and be a high draft pick, really he could play just about the same as last year and probably get picked in the top five. But I don't think it has that much to do with his ability if he stays or goes, I think the only big thing that might keep him here is if he like's college. I saw in a General College board because I go there, that he is on the honor role so that tells your right there about his work ethic. But I think it will have a lot to do with how the team does and how he gets along with the new players. Because his best friend on the team seems to be Jerry Holman, well it looks like that in practice so who knows if he will stay without Jerry there next year because Jerry is a senior. But how well they do this year as a team and how well they could be next year has a lot to do with it. And how well the do as a team this year and next has a lot to do with Stanley Gaines and Kris Collins.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Minnesota still has a lot of things they need to improve on.
First off..they lack a good deal of experience on their roster. Pretty much only Burleson and Bauer have been with the program for more than one year and even then I dont think they have any tourney experience.
They also lack players that can create shots for teammates. Burleson did a decent job of running the team last year and it was a worthy job because I dont think he is a true point guard, however, they just dont have players that have proven to be able to create shots for others. That sort of hurt them last year on offense and I think it will again.
Perimeter shooting is another huge question mark. Bauer is decent, Rickert is probably their best perimeter shooter but they will need him to play inside more so than outside next year and neither Hargrow or Burleson can hit an outside shot at all.
They also need to improve their rebounding as they lose their two rebounding leaders, Bennett and Rychart.
Their team defense could be better..specially on the perimeter, they lack athleticsm and they lack depth.
They lack a lot in other words. The original post of this thread was irrational and biased.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Fine have your view, but you better get ready to look like a no cursing please---kansasalumn when they win the Big Ten crown or come close to it. Why? Well the Big Ten sucks, and I would love to see you name me a better player than Rick Rickert in the Big Ten. As for PG's, well the Big Ten in general have shi!t PG's, and Burleson is probably one of the best PG's in the conference! And if he has a bad year they have Aaron Robinson, a lightning quick PG that is a great speed guy and can really up the tempo a lot! As for what they lost, well you much have said the Miami's Hurricanes were going to suck this year to, because that is what people say when they don't know who is coming in, and that is exactly what is happening with the Gophers. No one knows who Kris Collins, Stanley Gaines, Jeff Hagen, Aaron Robinson or Alou Kane are. Yeah they lost some senior leaders but Hagen is a very athletic big man and will give good minutes same with the FROSH Kane. As for them not being athletic well you have no damn clue do you! Have you been to there practice, have you seen there players? Hell no! So your in no possition to say they are not athletic, yeah they don't look it on paper but back to the Miami theary you have not seen the new players on the team, yeah if you just look at there old roster without Kris, Stanley, Jeff, Aaron and Alou, it is not "athletic". But once you actually see a game you opinion will change I would hope unless you are totally blind. Stanley Gaines is a great athlete, can dunk with two hands, really phyiscially built and will score a ton of points if he plays the 4, talk about a missmatch. And Kris Collins is a very athletic PG for JUCO that can make plays and is really aggressive.

So next time you want to talk shi!t go to there actual practice and then get back to me, because again, don't use the "Miami" theary on look at all the players they lost, because then you forget to look at the players they have gained...

Lets just see how the season turns out:grinning:

As for the improvements they need to make, well I argue doesn't every team have improvements to me before the year no matter what they did last season!

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Fine have your view, but you better get ready to look like a please do not repeat other users when they curse. thanks---kansas alumnthey win the Big Ten crown or come close to it"

When did I rule them out for winning the Big ten? As I have said a million times, the Big ten will be down again. I am not predicting Minnesota to win the confrence but it would not shock me, they do have some good individual players.

"I would love to see you name me a better player than Rick Rickert in the Big Ten."

Brian Cook is just as good, if not better.

"As for PG's, well the Big Ten in general have shi!t PG's, and Burleson is probably one of the best PG's in the conference!"

I never said he was a bad PG. I like Burelson as a point guard, however, I would take Dee Brown, Tom Coverdale, Brent Darby and Brandon Watkins all over him. Plus I think Chris Hill will be able to run the PG duties just fine for Msu and watch out for Daniel Horton at Michigan. I am not saying Burleson is bad, he's just nothing great and I still say Minnesota lacks players that can create shots for others which could really hurt them.

"No one knows who Kris Collins, Stanley Gaines, Jeff Hagen, Aaron Robinson or Alou Kane are"

I've seen Kane play quite a few times and he is extremely raw offensively, I've seen Robinson play and I have not been impressed at all and there is a reason as to why he saw very little action last year, specially towards the end of the year and I've seen Gaines play in person before he has potential but makes way to many mistakes on the court that concern me.

"you been to there practice, have you seen there players? Hell no!"

LoL okay so I can only comment about a team if I see them practice every day? More common sense from you. They may have a few athletes but in the general sense, they lack it compared to what other teams have. It's not a strength, thats a fact.

"yeah they don't look it on paper but back to the Miami theary you have not seen the new players on the team, yeah if you just look at there old roster without Kris, Stanley, Jeff, Aaron and Alou, it is not "athletic".

The miami theory? What is that again? You're making no sense, use some rational thought for a change. You're basing everything upon players that were not recruited highly at all and for good reason and have not played a game of college basketball. I'll take my chances with my theories over yours which are based on nothing but bias and irrational thought.

"As for the improvements they need to make, well I argue doesn't every team have improvements to me before the year no matter what they did last season!"

Minnesota just more so than most teams.

P.S. Thanks for avoding most of my questions towards your team, I undestand that some of them were true and hard to argue about but that makes for a lousy debate.

Finally..I am not saying Minnesota will be bad this year, I have them right now 4th in the Big 10 and I do think they will get into the Ncaa tourney but all I am doing is pointing out some things this team will need to work on to get to where you are predicting of them which is obviously based on wishful thinking and not rational thinking, so i added a non biased opinion on your team...sorry you didnt like it, most people dont like the truth.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Rick Rickert has a lot to work on before he is a top-5 pick. Not strong enough to be a legit post player in the NBA, not nearly quick enough to play on the perimeter. He does have great fundamentals, and should develop into a solid NBA player someday. I expect him to stay at least 3 years, or until he significantly improves his body.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Brian Cook is just as good, if not better.
Are you again refrain from profanity---kansasalumnme?:laugh: Brain Cook, so Brain will be a lottery pick according to you, well like to see him get picked in the first round much less the lottery, which is where Rick will end up! And you call me bias, hello person from Illinois that says Cook is just as good as Rickert, and your obviously from Illinois since you have seen Stanley play:grinning: and I'm, bias, try you are, saying Cook is equal to Rick?

Wow you must feel like a big boy now get confidence trying to degrate people's thoughts on the freaking internet, I'm hurt:cry: :rolleyes:

Again you are basing that they can't create there own shot, or make jumpers or defend etc for last season. You think no one has improved over a year? As for creating shots, well Stanley looked really good at creating his own shot in practice, and Hagen looks pretty solid as well, and why did you not bring up Kris Collin, oh thats right, you have not seen him! Well your missing something on your thoughts, because Kris alone brings up the athletic ability of this team, and by the way can create his own shot...

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Are you no cursing please-kansasalumnkidding me? Brain Cook, so Brain will be a lottery pick according to you, well like to see him get picked in the first round much less the lottery, which is where Rick will end up!"

LMAO Brain Cook, eh? I am sorry but you made the same mistake twice in a row, thats just funny. He must be a smart one. I never said he would be a lottery pick. As for where Rick will end up in the draft..well thanks for the preview Mrs. Cleo, keep on posting biased and irrational garbage! As for the comparision. Cook scores just as well as Rickert, rebounds better, shoots just as well from the field and has a much better FT%. I am not saying he is a better player, I think both are about even but without question they are comparable and to say they are not is flat out dim-witted. The bias continues, its getting just plain disgusting.

"And you call me bias, hello person from Illinois that says Cook is just as good as Rickert, and your obviously from Illinois since you have seen Stanley play and I'm, bias, try you are, saying Cook is equal to Rick?"

Wow..so you're saying that Stanley has never stepped foot out of the state of illinios to play basketball? Come on Ozzy...that is just silly. I am a Duke fan and where I live is it in Illinios.

"Again you are basing that they can't create there own shot, or make jumpers or defend etc for last season. You think no one has improved over a year?"

Of course players improve but players improve everywhere all over the country, so I would rather base my assumptions on things that I know from what I saw last year, rather than things that are yet to be known. Get what I am saying?

"As for creating shots, well Stanley looked really good at creating his own shot in practice, and Hagen looks pretty solid as well"

I never said anything about Minnesota having players that couldnt create their own shots. When did I say that? Show me where. The things you come up with are staggering..I mean its mind-boggling. You're marvelous.

"and why did you not bring up Kris Collin, oh thats right, you have not seen him!"

Nope never seen Collings but by no means will i be taking your word on this kid, you have already proven to be blatantly biased and subjective towards any player that plays for Minnesota. In other words you let your prejudice get in the way of your rational thinking and that kind of thinking should not be tolerated.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
please refrain from profanity when you post

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is were you said they don't have any players that can create shots for others, but I think Stanley can...
They also lack players that can create shots for teammates. Burleson did a decent job of running the team last year and it was a worthy job because I dont think he is a true point guard, however, they just dont have players that have proven to be able to create shots for others.
You obviously just are going to contradict every word I say in some way so enough of "talking" about basketball with you. Have fun posting to nobody because sure as hell I'm not responding to a word you say anymore...

Again wait till the season starts.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here we go again Ozzy..[strike]i'll slow it down for you and take baby steps.[/strike]please DO NOT INSULT other users. It is uncalled for----kansasalumn

Here is what you said..."As for creating shots, well Stanley looked really good at creating his own shot in practice"

You said he could create his OWN shot.

Here is what I said..."They also lack players that can create shots for teammates"

I said they lack players that can create shots for OTHERS.

Now tell me..is there a difference between the word OTHERS and the word OWN. Thanks for playing Ozzy.

"Have fun posting to nobody because sure as hell I'm not responding to a word you say anymore..."

The words of a beaten man..<sniffle> go cry somewhere else. Haha watch this post get me suspended..BOOYA!(Check your pms! TRM)

This is the last thing I have to say Ozzy, if you even read this, what I am saying could very well be wrong and I am not saying that I know more about Minnesota basketball than you do, you obviously live in the state and are a big fan. All I am saying is to be more open-minded when talking about your favorite team and just not quite so biased. I came down a little hard on you but thats what I do, [strike]this isnt the flower garden messege board even though Rifleman would wish for its, its a frikken messege board [/strike](TRM)and if people take these things to seriously than their feelings will get hurt but thats their fault, once again its a frikken messege board. Dont take it so seriously, guys

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guard Kris Collins was kicked of the team for "repeated team rules violations in regards to his academic responsibilities." That is a pretty big loss for the Gophers, they lose very athletic guard that can defend and attack the hoop, a player with swagger to him and is very competitive. Tough loss for them, he was a talented player and he could have been a good addition to the team. But now they will have only 3 real guards on the team. And only 2 PG's, so they really need Robinson to step up big time as the backup PG, and I hope Steve steps up as well and becomes a more consistent scorer at the SG. But they just all need to improve there play that is all. But still is a big lose, not a giant one but will be felt.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is a wonder to watch Dan Monson do his thing. He was doing big time coaching today. He attack his team and called the soft and rightfully so, he wants to change the image of the Gophers. He had a very passionate speech in the middle of practice were a lot of "choice" words were used. He is changing the identitiy of the Gophers, he is a great motivator. Just like at Gonzaga when he said that people don't know how to pronounce the school name. Great motivator in Dan Monson, good luck to Tommy Amaker trying to change the image of Michigan basketball after NCAA violations...

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Two great wins by Minnesota, one over a athletic strong Georgia team, and the other over a big quick Georgia Tech team. True the Gophers did not win by a big margin and they were at home both times. But I think the competition Georgia, and Georgia Tech gave the Gophers is as good if not better than any one team they will face this year. As for Rick, well if he can score and go by a super athlete in Chris Bosh, I think he can take anyone in the Big Ten. Because no way in hell is there any "Chris Bosh" types in the Big Ten to contend with Rick's inside out game. All the Gophers need is to work on there team defense and not get beat on the back-cut so much on defense. And there guards need to work on their defense on the ball, and Burleson can't get that many turnovers either.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
hmmmm....

Not sure the Go-fars will even make the NCAA 64....
and they certainly won't end up in the top 15....

it just goes to show, you never can be too sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts