Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
January 14th, 2004
7:30 Central Time

Minnesota Timberwolves(25-11) @ San Antonio Spurs(26-12)

Sorry that this is late, but I thought I could get it going before game time.

Should be a great game with two NBA powers going toe-to-toe.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
19-17 Spurs after one quarter.

KG has 4 points on 2/7 shooting, while Sprewell has 8 points and 4 boards.

For the Spurs, Duncan already has a near double-double after one quarter with 8 points and 9 boards. Hedo continued his good play in the first with 5 points and 3 boards.

Yes, I do know I'm talking to myself, but hopefully some Spurs fans will come back from the dead and join me.:)

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
40-36 Spurs at the half.

Here's a half time stat update for all of you anxious Spurs and Timberwolves fans:

Minnesota leaders:

Latrell Sprewell - 11 points, 5 rebounds
Kevin Garnett - 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks
Sam Cassel - 10 points, 6 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 TO's
Mark Madsen- 4 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks

San Antonio leaders:

Tim Duncan - 18 points, 15 rebounds, 3 assists :eek:
Bruce Bowen - 5 points, 2 rebounds
Hedo Turkoglu - 5 points, 3 rebounds
Manu Ginobili - 4 points, 2 rebounds, 2 TO's

It's safe to say Duncan is singlehandedly doing everything for the Spurs.

Duncan is on pace for 36 points and 30 rebounds ;)

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spurs choked down the stretch, and the T-Wolved stuck it to 'em.
Sam Cassell lit up the Spurs for 33.

Final score: Minnesota 100 San Antonio 93

Minnesota leaders:

Sam Cassell - 33 points, 9 assists, 12/23 FG
Latrell Sprewell - 24 points, 7 rebounds, 10/19 FG, 3 blocks
Kevin Garnett - 22 points, 10 rebounds, 9/19 FG
Mark Madsen - 9 points, 5 rebounds, 4/8 FG

San Antonio leaders:

Tim Duncan - 36 points, 20 rebounds, 7 assists, 14/26 FG
Manu Ginobili - 14 points, 6 rebounds, 6/12 FG
Tony Parker - 12 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 4/12 FG
Hedo Turkoglu - 12 points, 4 rebounds, 5/7 FG, 21 minutes

Easily player of the game:

Duncan had the stats, but Cassell stepped up in the clutch for the huge performance.

Thanks for everyone who participated, it was fun.:sigh:

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Great review Koko. The Wolves are playing championship basketball right now and I don't think the Spurs have enough weapons to win a 7 game series against the Wolves. Parker hasn't been much of a go to guy and Ginobili is a streaky shooter who does everything else well. As for Rasho, well, lets just say he is underperforming for the time being. The Wolves have 4 clutch players in Hudson, Cassell, Sprewell and KG.... role players like Wally, Hassell (what a turnaround from Chicago) and Madsen. For some reason I can't see the Spurs competing with the full powered Lakers, Wolves and maybe even the Kings with a guest appearance from Webber.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great review Koko. The Wolves are playing championship basketball right now and I don't think the Spurs have enough weapons to win a 7 game series against the Wolves. Parker hasn't been much of a go to guy and Ginobili is a streaky shooter who does everything else well. As for Rasho, well, lets just say he is underperforming for the time being. The Wolves have 4 clutch players in Hudson, Cassell, Sprewell and KG.... role players like Wally, Hassell (what a turnaround from Chicago) and Madsen. For some reason I can't see the Spurs competing with the full powered Lakers, Wolves and maybe even the Kings with a guest appearance from Webber.
I really can't say that I disagree with you. The Spurs just seem to be lacking the punch they had last season, while teams like the Lakers, Kings, and Timberwolves are just as good or even better than they are. It's really frustrating watching the Spurs inconsistent play. You did mention that several guys like Rasho, Ginobili, and Parker have been inconsistent, and you hit the nail on the head. Parker looks great for a 5 game stretch, then he looks terrible for a 5 game stretch. Ginobili looks like an all-star for a 5 game stretch, then he looks like an average SG for a 5 game stretch. Rasho looks like a very good center for a 5 game stretch, then he looks like a soft back-up center for a 5 game stretch.

I really don't want to agree with you about the Spurs, but unfortunately, you are pretty much right. The Spurs have to develop some kind of consistency if they want to reach the finals again, and that is the bottom line.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!

Yes, I do know I'm talking to myself, but hopefully some Spurs fans will come back from the dead and join me.:)
Keep it up, and I'm sure some will take notice -- I was out for most of this game playing in a basketball game of my own, so it was nice to look though this and get a feel of what went on in the game. You may not feel like doing it all the time, but definitely do it when you can :D

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I wasn't at my machine during the game so I couldn't chime in, but it's nice to see a nice set of updates on a big game in the Western conference...

Ed O.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
this game sucked! the spurs should have/ could have won it. cassel killed the spurs. everyone played horribly except of course duncan. i'm so mad at parker the most. he has been so horrible on offense and hasn't been distributing the ball much.

i would have joined you if i knew that there'll be one of these topic. next time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.