Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stern is talking about making the NBDL into a true minor league where you can send down players to develop them. I like that idea. There are so many guys over the past 10 years I can think of who could potentially develop their games. Maybe this could be a trade off for the age limit. Let the 18 year old players play 60+ games in the NBDL to develop against weaker competition.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
This could also help with injuries. By calling up players when there is an injury and giving players you like in training camp to still be with the team and try and develope them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the players will actually be coached and actively developed, it would be a good idea.

If it's just going to be something like the CBA or what the NBDL is currently, the players would likely be better off developing their skills in Europe.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
It would be a great idea...it would allow the draft to be expanded and give oppurtunities to more players.....

It would create a true developmental system where a team could draft someone in the 7th round or so, and watch him develop in their minor league affilaiate, and call him up in there is an injury or he is deemed ready...

A true minor league system would be great for the NBA.....

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
DHarris34Phan said:
It would be a great idea...it would allow the draft to be expanded and give oppurtunities to more players.....

It would create a true developmental system where a team could draft someone in the 7th round or so, and watch him develop in their minor league affilaiate, and call him up in there is an injury or he is deemed ready...

A true minor league system would be great for the NBA.....
I agree. It would give those borderline players a chance to do what they love, and not feel like they have to make a significant lifestyle decision about whether to play in Europe or not.

I don't think the draft would be expanded to seven rounds, however. Maybe something like four rounds would be sufficient, because that could potentially be 2-3 new players on a team with 12-15 players on it.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's really a fantastic idea IMO, and I don't see any drawbacks considering the foundation has already been laid in the form of the NBDL. I don't think there would be a team for every team, maybe two teams per minor league team. Guys like Darko could be sent down and actually get some precious experience.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I also think the NBA Minor League would be quite succesful financially. Maybe that's just me, the crazed basketball fan, talking...but wouldn't you pay to watch Darko play Skita and Biedrins for the NBDL crown?

Ok, maybe I am crazed. But I'd pay.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
BealeFarange said:
I also think the NBA Minor League would be quite succesful financially. Maybe that's just me, the crazed basketball fan, talking...but wouldn't you pay to watch Darko play Skita and Biedrins for the NBDL crown?

Ok, maybe I am crazed. But I'd pay.
I'd pay a small amount to laugh at Bagaric for a game again. I think it would have a die hard fan audience (those that want to check out the up-and-comers, but would need its own local market). If we were to do away with the IR, and you pull up a guy out of the minors, it would make sense to make it local to Chicago. A Chicago suburb perhaps. Lombard or Aurora/Naperville, and I sure would go to a few.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I called for this shared roster concept a while ago.

The NBDL draft could be for teams. Then they would get the 5 players that, that team had designated. (makes more sense. Teammates would be playing together and it would make more sense in terms of bringing players up and down)

or

Each of the NBA teams could have the rights to 5 players individually in the NBDL. (I don't really see a point to this.)

I agree this means there is no reason for age limit. Just more non-guarateed contracts. But if the NBA was to have this 5 man roster situation, contracts would be slightly complicated for players on the edge (no-guaranteed contracts), where they would get the % of their salary that they earned in each league. (based on which roster they were on). I guess this would mean that guys with guarateed contracts would not likely be brought down unless there was a severe need. Which would change landscape of the league a little, young kids would be seen as a slightly bigger risk. If they were usless for a couple of years it would cost a team the minimum to have that player go to the NBDL and another player on the roster. But the NBA team should also have a chance to not add another player and be less deep. Still it very slightly hurts the younger kids stock(although probably extremely slightly)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts