Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New president of basketball operations Jerry West also was in a dealing mode, sending a 2004 second-round pick to the San Antonio Spurs for the rights to guard Gordan Giricek.

have you guys heard of him? I haven't heard about him at all. Also Fotsis and Will Solomon are now free agents because the Grizz declined their options.

The Memphis Grizzlies on Friday excercised the option on the contract of point guard Eddie Gill for the 2002-03 season.

Under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, Gill would have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 had the Grizzlies not exercised their option.

u all know probably but for those who don't...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Giricek, croatian, 25, 6´6", is under contract in Russia, he is an awesome scorer at SG (Euroleague, 2001-2002 season: 22.9 Ppg.).

“We feel that Giricek is a terrific, experienced player who has played professionally for a number of years,” said West. “He is a sharp-shooter who is athletic and will bring additional quality depth to our outside shooting positions.”

Link:
http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/Giricek_acquired.html

Memphis has a lot of new players (Gooden, Archibald, Owens, Person, Giricek) and still has a lot of trade material (Swift and... who knows?). I think this is just the beggining...

Go West!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Anything that West does im going to agree 100%.
I questioned the Gooden pick but I came to realize that West is probably the most educated and smartest GM ever.

So from now on whatever he does im all good with it.

Never heard of this Giricek guy but by the sounds of it he seems impressive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Grizzlies have signed Cezary Trybanski.

A 7-1 250 pound Center from Poland whom even in Europe nobody knows.

The Grizzlies need a good a good C but I have many doubts about this guy.

A kid that in the Polish league( weak league) only came from the bench(few minutes), and his team wasn´t even a championship contender.

I hope Cezary can surprise me but I doubt that he can play on NBA level.(more than trashtime)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, first of all i want to introduce myself, this is my first post in this forum, and its nice to see this place is growing.
Im from barcelona and although im not a fanatic defender of european players, i think that giricek is a player that will surprise a lot of people, he is a really good player and i think would fit perfectly in the grizz rotation. After that just say that the polish center was an authentic unknown even here, in europe, and i dont understand why west signed him, i think its a big mistake because there are many players a lot, and i mean A LOT, better than him in europe and in the nba. west knows what he's doing but i dont agree with him, i hope im wrong but...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Welcome to the Grizz board Shao. Hope to see more of your posts.

I'm not too familar with the European players and I'm sure you are right about there are alot better then Giricek in europe. However based on what I know about this guy he is apprently very impressive and is a good shot creator. I really hope he gets some good PT for the Grizz.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Giricek was very impressive today on TV against the Cavs. He has some decent athletsicm,very long range,can drive to the rim and showed that he should be able to improve alot.

Really think he could end up being a very nice compliment at SG to Dickerson this season....

I mean, the guy was one of the top players in Europe this past year and already has shown he can score with the best euro players by draining outside J's.

Yet another genius move by Jerry West.:yes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
mmm, i think u didnt understand me, i think that giricek is a great player, the only thing i dont agree is west signing the polish center :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Remember the Polish center was signed to a non-guaranteed contract. If he doesn't work out, they can cut him. Knowing this, I think it's a pretty good move. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well i didnt know anything about if it's garanteed or not, but a guranteed contract for nearly 5 million could be a little dangerous, specially to a guy that at his age is still a real unknown for everybody, including most of the nba scouts, but maybe im wrong...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Wow... After spending 6 years in Europe after playing for Grizzlies in 2001, Will Solomon is back to this league, signing with Raptors. Did anybody liked him when he was playing here in 01-02 season? Can he work well now that he is back to the NBA (another case like Anthony Parker)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts