Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike James, I was looking at his numbers and he really has improved. his scoring is up by about 8 a game, his FG% has jumpped up 4%, his 3pt% has jumpped up 5%, his FT% is up 6%, and his assist are up 3 a game.

Now his draw back is he is playing in Toronto, but the Raptors do have some scorers(Bosh, Villanuava, Rose). I think he should get some strong concideration for the Most Improved Player award.

Year Team G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
2004-05 MIL 47 24.8 4.4 9.8 44.6 1.2 3.2 38.2 1.4 1.9 74.4 0.5 2.1 2.6 3.9 1.7 0.9 0.1 2.4 11.4
2004-05 HOU 27 25.6 4.7 10.8 43.3 1.6 4.0 39.3 1.6 2.0 76.4 0.4 2.7 3.2 2.9 1.0 0.9 0.1 2.2 12.4
2005-06 TOR 75 37.0 7.3 15.5 47.0 2.1 4.8 44.0 3.3 4.0 82.3 0.6 2.8 3.3 5.9 2.5 0.9 0.0 2.8 20.0

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
i think david west and diaw are the main candidates this season, mike james really should get some consideration though, he has been very good for a struggling raptors squad

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good post, I have this guy on my fantasy team and even I overlooked him when it comes to MIP.

He does deserve lots of recognition for the season he's having, but Diaw will take it most likely (probably due to team record and Suns get more national TV coverage).

·
Registered
38 Posts
good post but imo the reason why he is seldom mentioned is because diaw and west are far more probable winners than mike james.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I made a thread about this that Mike James should be 1 of the top MIP candidates but I'm too lazy to dig it up. Anyways I think he is underrated in the MIP race.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Mike James has some great stats similar to a former Raptors pg in Damon Stoudamire, but how are they of any relevance? It should be of no surprise, he is playing for a bad (but young team) in Toronto and has been given the green light to do what ever he wants. It isn't ironic he is having a career year this year as opposed to previous years when he was playing for teams that actually where half way decent. Houston traded him for a reason and that was due to his belief that he is actually an elite pg (which he is not) who should be able to have a green light everytime down the court. I actually expect the Raptors to get rid of him in the near future. The Toronto Raptors are 26-52, so IMHO, James shouldn't be a candidate for the MIP because his stats have no bearing on his teams success.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
ralaw said:
Mike James has some great stats similar to a former Raptors pg in Damon Stoudamire, but how are they of any relevance? It should be of no surprise, he is playing for a bad (but young team) in Toronto and has been given the green light to do what ever he wants. It isn't ironic he is having a career year this year as opposed to previous years when he was playing for teams that actually where half way decent. Houston traded him for a reason and that was due to his belief that he is actually an elite pg (which he is not) who should be able to have a green light everytime down the court. I actually expect the Raptors to get rid of him in the near future. The Toronto Raptors are 26-52, so IMHO, James shouldn't be a candidate for the MIP because his stats have no bearing on his teams success.

somehow I am not surprised to read this from you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
problem with mike james is that altho everyone has acknowledge massive improvement he still has been criticised for racking up points on a bad team.

he is the player he is so u cant knock his game, but maybe if it were 10 assists rather than 20 points per game he wouldn't have so many detractors.

then it would be brevin knight situation where every coach in the league wants him as a back up. and u never need to pay assist guys as much as scorers, so team would be more inclined to want him

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
Andres Nocioni should be the MIP, he has put the Bulls on his back and carried them to the playoffs, guys like Kirk, Luol, Ben bust out for the big games, and thats what everyone remembers, but Noc. has been the constant.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.