Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been awhile since I posted. I've been following BU since my freshman year, 1984.
Here's 10 random questions in no particular order of importance:
1. What has happened to the Daily Free Press' coverage of men's basketball? It may as well be non-existent.
2. Other than here, I can find no decent website for information on recruits. Any suggestions?
3. Does any know what the non-conference schedule looked like before the pandemic wiped it out?
4. Will those games be played next year?
5. The NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic. Does that extend to all classes now enrolled?
6. Will the current seniors, McKoy, Mathon and Petcash be back next year under the extended eligibility rule?
7. Where is Alex Vilarino? No information anywhere.
8. Looking for opinions on this: Will BU ever sign anyone higher than a 3 star recruit?
9. If you change one things about the program, what would that be?
10. What would you say is the over/under on how many years before BU wins an NCAA tournament game?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Lots of great questions, 85, and most of them are mysteries to me as well.

To your #3, I recall Coach Jones saying there were OOC games scheduled against (among others) Texas, GW, Albany, Vermont, New Hampshire. No idea if those will carry over to next year, but since these seem to be scheduled on a year-to-year basis I don't see why they wouldn't try to get them back on the schedule.

On #10, if we're counting the "First Four" (16 v 16) games, I'd say we could win one of those within 5 years. If we're talking Round of 64, I put the O/U at 10 years (and I'd probably take the over....)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
usslider Thanks for the update. Actually, I was class of 85. Misstated that above. Freshman year was 80 but I took a year off to bum around the world :) I agree on the First Four. Unfortunately, you're probably right on the Round of 64...and I would probably take the over as well! One can dream.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Fun questions. I don't have answers for all of them but I did my best.

Been awhile since I posted. I've been following BU since my freshman year, 1984.
Here's 10 random questions in no particular order of importance:
1. What has happened to the Daily Free Press' coverage of men's basketball? It may as well be non-existent.
To be honest, I usually don't read articles anymore since I can watch most games or at least highlights.

2. Other than here, I can find no decent website for information on recruits. Any suggestions?
Check Verbal Commits (Verbal Commits | Boston University Basketball Recruiting Scholarship Chart: Roster, Offers, Commits, Targets, Rankings). It lists recruits BU offers and provides updates when they commit. You may have to do your own research but it's a good place to start.

3. Does any know what the non-conference schedule looked like before the pandemic wiped it out?
Already answered.

4. Will those games be played next year?
Not sure. First, hopefully we are passed COVID by the fall. Second, I think coaches try to schedule non-conference games based on where their seniors are from. I think the Texas game was supposed to be for McCoy. A few years ago BU played at Miami presumably for Hankerson. Next year's seniors are kind of spread out but maybe there could be games in CA (Tynen), NC (Hemphill), or TX (Vilarino).

5. The NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic. Does that extend to all classes now enrolled?
Yes, although the Patriot League may have extra barriers to playing a fifth year. I would be surprised if any of the three seniors return, but it would be a welcome surprise.

6. Will the current seniors, McKoy, Mathon and Petcash be back next year under the extended eligibility rule?
See above.

7. Where is Alex Vilarino? No information anywhere.
Brian Maurer, one of the Terrier broadcasters, tweeted yesterday that Vilarino was unavailable for yesterday's game. At least someone acknowledged he is still part of the team.

8. Looking for opinions on this: Will BU ever sign anyone higher than a 3 star recruit?
Mo Watson was a four-star recruit and ESPN Top-100 (Maurice Watson - Basketball Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN).

9. If you change one things about the program, what would that be?
A fanbase in proportion to the size of the student population.

10. What would you say is the over/under on how many years before BU wins an NCAA tournament game?
I have no answer for this.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Playing one of the ACC big boys for Hemphill would be sweet!

Although NC State may be a big gun-shy after the scare from a couple years ago:
(worth watching for the dunks by Eric Fanning and Dennis Smith Jr)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Playing one of the ACC big boys for Hemphill would be sweet!

Although NC State may be a big gun-shy after the scare from a couple years ago:
(worth watching for the dunks by Eric Fanning and Dennis Smith Jr)
AU was actually scheduled to play N.C. State this year during the non-conference schedule. Of course, it didn't happen. No idea if we'll be able to re-schedule for 2021.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
From what I've heard- Suk will be back.
Wow, really... that's great if true, our front line would be thin with his departure and Suk was really making great strides this year.

Now if only Javante... ??

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
From what I've heard- Suk will be back.
That would be great. A frontline rotation of Suk, Hemphill, and Chimezie sounds really good to me. Plus it would help balance scholarships if Tate, C.J. Jones, Brewster, Morales, and Chimezie are all considered freshmen in terms of eligibility.

I realize the transfer pool is already starting to build, but maybe there isn't as much of an incentive to transfer for some seniors? It's possible a lot of the high majors are going to be really deep if their seniors return and that might leave little room for players from mid-major programs to move up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I don't think we ever got any confirmation, but from the team's social media feed it appears that both Suk AND Javante are back for another go-round.

Haven't seen Petcash on anything though.

I really hope we're not in for another season of COVID-based complications - weird scheduling, postponements, cancellations, masks -- but the way things are looking these days....

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I don't think we ever got any confirmation, but from the team's social media feed it appears that both Suk AND Javante are back for another go-round.

Haven't seen Petcash on anything though.

I really hope we're not in for another season of COVID-based complications - weird scheduling, postponements, cancellations, masks -- but the way things are looking these days....
Jack has obviously left, Alex is staying but my son says he is done with basketball and Petcash is done. Great that Javonte, Suk and Walt will be back but would have been nice to see Petcash back. Hoping this years tight knit group does well. As far as Covid, they are still wearing masks in practice but are completely over it. Let's hope they are maskless come gametime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts