Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 220 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I say yes. It will hurt smaller schools. The article has the quote from LeBron James saying it will change countless lives that deserve it. He is missing that it will change countless lives that don't deserve it.

The law does not require that schools pay the athletes, but it does not make it illegal either, so I see some, perhaps many schools, going that way. There is also no stopping Big Time U from having "endorsements" funnel through their boosters, something smaller schools can't keep up with. Sure some of that happens now, but not to the extent that it will when things are wide open.

For those reasons, I think it will lead to schools dropping sports and in turn changing countless lives that don't deserve it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ace hit the nail on the head. Attorneys will be chomping at the bit with retention agreements in hand if the NCAA tries to bar athletes receiving endorsement money from playing. You'll get athletes from the 49 other states taking endorsement money/goods getting lawyers to sue the NCAA and perhaps their own school if they're not allowed to play.Of course you'll get the athlete who is not receiving the money looking for a piece of it from the teammate(s) who are.Waiting in the wings will be the IRS who will want their cut as well. That kid driving the shiny new sports car for endorsing a car dealership will be in for surprise come tax time.

·
Piker
8,977 Posts
Sure! Why not? In a few years in California it will be against the law for the school to stop those cheerleaders from making a little money.
My friends and I used to call the USC/UCLA football game The Battle of the Sweaters.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
A game without the participation of Dayton called a Battle of the Sweaters? Jaffie might take exception to that.
No, California can have the sweater vests. I was never a fan. Those assholes deserve them.

Even with all the real problems in the State of California, Gavin Newsom chooses to destroy amateur college sports. The NCAA and CFP can stop this by simply adhering to its rules and not allowing schools that allow athletes to make money on the side with endorsements ineligible for bowl games and the NCAA tournament. We all know that will not happen.

I don’t see any big impact for the A10. Players like Obi Toppin will be driving Mercedes for endorsing the local dealership, and schools like Kansas and Kentucky will go all out (just like they do now) lining up lucrative endorsement deals. At least it will be transparent.

·
Piker
8,977 Posts
I do not see anything wrong with letting Osun Osunniyi do commercial advertising for The Burton and hocking their Burton Trash Basket.

201 - 220 of 529 Posts