Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The reactions to the KU/KSU scrum are incredulous. People calling for season ending suspensions? How quickly they forget there was an actual fight in late 2011 between XU/CIN with actual punches and blood, ridiculous postgame comments from players, and there were suspensions ranging up to 6 games.

Was it ugly last night? Sure, I mean what passes for ugly today. They report bench clearing MLB "brawls" where 50 juiced up post-college bros yell at each other about who grills the best steak. People need to lighten tf up. 4-6 games for DeSousa and McCormack, 4-6 for the KSU guy that started it after the "stare down" (oh the horror), and the street dressed pine riders probably leave KSU by choice or by force.

So much faux outrage today. Like people have never seen competitive men throw punches at each other. But.. glorify UFC. Idiots.

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
De Sousa did pick up a chair and pretend he was in a WWE cage match. I think he will get more
He did not want anyone to trip over it during the scrum. It was a not a chair. It was one of those folding stools that the camera people sit on under the basket.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
He did. It's unclear how serious he was about using it. Yancey Gates was dead serious about using his fist on Kenny Frease, and did, and got 6 games. I know the modern day "can't do anything wrong themselves but they'll go after anyone else who does" media is calling for heads but come on. If you got to ruin each and every college-aged kid's career prospects over a stupid incident not many of us would have jobs.

I just hate late-day journalism. I hate these bullshit ideals that are trumpeted by a group of people that are quite frankly just giant hypocrites. This fake utopia where college guys are to be 100% model citizens or we ruin their lives. It's not possible, nor should it be expected.

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
He did. It's unclear how serious he was about using it. Yancey Gates was dead serious about using his fist on Kenny Frease, and did, and got 6 games. I know the modern day "can't do anything wrong themselves but they'll go after anyone else who does" media is calling for heads but come on. If you got to ruin each and every college-aged kid's career prospects over a stupid incident not many of us would have jobs.

I just hate late-day journalism. I hate these bullshit ideals that are trumpeted by a group of people that are quite frankly just giant hypocrites. This fake utopia where college guys are to be 100% model citizens or we ruin their lives. It's not possible, nor should it be expected.
I agree. It was a fight now lets move on. Now, pointing fingers?! That is another story.

·
Registered
365 Posts

"We got a whole bunch of gangsters in our locker room. Not thugs, but tough guys on the court. We went out there and zipped em up at the end of the game. That’s our motto — zip ’em up."

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Ah yes, the infamous "zip 'em up" comments. I laughed so hard when those wannabe thug Xavier players were trying to act so tough. Who did they think they were? Baylor players?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Is Palm right?
"Only one team in the last 25 seasons has received an at-large bid with a record of fewer than four games below .500. That team was Georgia in 1999, which was 16-14."

Other than saying below and meaning above...

·
Piker
8,945 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Right, I'm sure it's always a two-way street with virtuous intentions. What about intra-conference? I'd like to poach a few A10 players who are on teams with no shot at success for the foreseeable future. More with more.

Rothstein will have to come up with something different.

And EYOA.

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
Right, I'm sure it's always a two-way street with virtuous intentions. What about intra-conference? I'd like to poach a few A10 players who are on teams with no shot at success for the foreseeable future. More with more.

Rothstein will have to come up with something different.

And EYOA.
The transfer portal runneth over every year like me owing the feds in March. It is a two way street though. Many A10 teams do benefit from transfers and you can see it in line-ups this year. It has been some time since VCU took big time advantage of transfers. Last big one I remember was Jamie Skeen who left Wake to play.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The transfer portal runneth over every year like me owing the feds in March. It is a two way street though. Many A10 teams do benefit from transfers and you can see it in line-ups this year. It has been some time since VCU took big time advantage of transfers. Last big one I remember was Jamie Skeen who left Wake to play.
Love him or hate him, during a game broadcast a couple years ago Jay Bilas said he is of the belief that most successful cases of transfers are players moving up. I think of Marcus Posley and Matt Mobley fitting that bill for us. But it also means players at the A10 level that are really ready to leap to a P5. He doesn't think you have as much success with P5 players that have to go "down" so to speak to a lower level conference.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Love him or hate him, during a game broadcast a couple years ago Jay Bilas said he is of the belief that most successful cases of transfers are players moving up. I think of Marcus Posley and Matt Mobley fitting that bill for us. But it also means players at the A10 level that are really ready to leap to a P5. He doesn't think you have as much success with P5 players that have to go "down" so to speak to a lower level conference.
The reason transfers down do not seem to have as much impact might be due to two things I can think of.
One, they are not moving down enough. A move down to the A10 is really not that big a move down to make them instant impact players. Those players likely need to move 2 or 3 levels down to have a huge impact and they usually do not have their ego in check, so they won't do that.
Two, they move down to the proper level and nobody notices.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
This would open the door for the best players like Obi moving to Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc. This type of transfer isn’t that common today. The A10 seems to be impacted more by grad transfers vs players “moving up”. Maybe this works if a school is permitted to block a transfer or give a waiver to the player transferring.

This proposal along with allowing athletes to be paid for endorsements is going to open up a door to a level of shitty unscrupulous dealings we haven’t seen before.

261 - 280 of 397 Posts