Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

361 - 380 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts

·
Piker
8,945 Posts
My freshman year I had a roommate named Rob Butt. On move in day I met his father Harry.

PS-When he got engaged his wife decided that she did not want to be a Butt so he changed his name to his mother's maiden name of Spencer. I still remember Harry coming up to me at the pre-wedding party. He was enraged and told me that he could not believe that bitch did not want to be a Butt. God rest his soul. RIP Mr Butt.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
When I was a freshman at Bucknell, some wag replaced the "H" in the sign for Hunt Hall, where nearly all the sororities were located, with a letter he removed from what became the Olin S_ience Building. Remarkably, it remained that way for weeks.
Can you even imagine what would happen if he did that today? It would be national news.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Yeah, I've thought of that many times. It's hard to convey the zeitgeist of the period to the sweet young things that call from my alma mater soliciting money without it sounding like the mere ramblings of an old man, though, of course, it largely is.

But, my god, there was so much shit that went on that they just wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Speaking of miscellaneous Bona stuff...I was researching Mepkin Abbey, outside of Charleston, where Thomas Merton may have spent just a little time. But, he did teach at St Bonaventure for a year.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Speaking of miscellaneous Bona stuff...I was researching Mepkin Abbey, outside of Charleston, where Thomas Merton may have spent just a little time. But, he did teach at St Bonaventure for a year.
Oh, heavens yes. Merton was at Bona for a while. Merton’s Heart is a “mountain” clearing that overlooks campus, and the Merton Center is the Franciscans’ primary hub—right next to the Reilly Center.

SBU- Merton Archives

Merton remains an important figure in SBU history

Memories of Merton's path linger at St. Bonaventure University

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Oh my yes. The placement of the Swan Business School building a few years ago was highly controversial to firstdev, a poster on the Bandwagon, because the Nazi gulag style building blocked the view to Merton’s heart on the mountain just South of campus. It was a travesty carried out by the unethical Wall Street Bona business school grads. There was no convocation to discuss the placement of the building, and Sister Margaret in her Fort Duquesne office just put it there without getting any input from firstdev. It was an abomination, I tell you.

361 - 380 of 433 Posts