Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

381 - 400 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm getting a little worried about firstdev. He hasn't posted in a long time -- not even to protest those oil and gas operations up there near the Heart. I figured he'd find some way to blame Sister Margaret.

I hope he hasn't gone the way of Explorer Steve.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
UConn isn’t the first and won’t be the last school to foolishly chase the FCS football dream (despite having no traditional base of support or infrastructure) only to see its broader athletics programs suffer and/or go under.

* COUGH UMass
COUGH Temple
COUGH Charlotte
COUGH Buffalo *

·
Piker
8,977 Posts
UConn isn’t the first and won’t be the last school to foolishly chase the FCS football dream (despite having no traditional base of support or infrastructure) only to see its broader athletics programs suffer and/or go under.

* COUGH UMass
COUGH Temple
COUGH Charlotte
COUGH Buffalo *
COUGH ODU

·
Piker
8,977 Posts
I was going to include them, but I haven’t read about their football-rooted problems yet. Are they struggling? I’ve always thought they’d be an ideal A10 fit if not for the foolhardy FCS move.
They are having problems. Their football spending has crippled their athletic department. The CUSA travel, etc.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
When a flagship university of a state school system cannot offer a full array of sports, there's a problem. As an independent in FBS, their only hope for a palatable record is to schedule the doldrums of college football. Even then, I can't see them being .500 or bowl eligible, ever. Basketball is UConn's sport, and really all their success is tied into Jim Calhoun's reign. They sucked before him, and have been a big pile of not much spectacular since. They're moving to the BE, which means they know BB is the priority. FFS, drop to FCS and make sure those state dollars are offering opportunities for well-rounded Connecticut HS athletes in other sports. 22 saved scholarships to downgrade to FCS should be a no brainer. Giving 85 kids full rides and overpaying an FBS staff - to suck monumentally - they should be embarrassed.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
When a flagship university of a state school system cannot offer a full array of sports, there's a problem. As an independent in FBS, their only hope for a palatable record is to schedule the doldrums of college football. Even then, I can't see them being .500 or bowl eligible, ever. Basketball is UConn's sport, and really all their success is tied into Jim Calhoun's reign. They sucked before him, and have been a big pile of not much spectacular since. They're moving to the BE, which means they know BB is the priority. FFS, drop to FCS and make sure those state dollars are offering opportunities for well-rounded Connecticut HS athletes in other sports. 22 saved scholarships to downgrade to FCS should be a no brainer. Giving 85 kids full rides and overpaying an FBS staff - to suck monumentally - they should be embarrassed.
Bill, was confusing me when he kept referring to FCS football, when he meant FBS.
Then I remembered he may never have even seen an oblong ball at a college, and it all made sense...

·
Piker
8,977 Posts
Bill, was confusing me when he kept referring to FCS football, when he meant FBS.
Then I remembered he may never have even seen an oblong ball at a college, and it all made sense...
I still say DI and one double A. They should make it easy and call FCS mid-major.

·
Piker
8,977 Posts
The past national champions from RVA resent the appellation.
I grew up with JMU football. Their coach Challace McMillin was my next door neighbor. I was on the sideline when they beat UVA so I know it is good football. I was at the UR/JMU game when they won on a punt return with no time left on the clock. It was the same year that UR won that championship. Oh and I am good friends with many former UR football players. I was joking about the mid-major thing by the way.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Alien, I was just kidding. No worries.
UConn should drop down a notch. It only makes sense at this point.
Hope they do and save some of the other sports headed for the chopping block.

I attended any number of Spider football games in the 90's. Sort of reminded me of UNC. Lots of tailgating; varied interest in the actual game. But some great afternoons in Richmond; often followed by dinner at the North Pole in Crozier (RIP).

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I somewhat understand the schools that chase the FBS dream because FCS is expensive enough as it is with little to no return. Things were much better when schools like Fordham could play DIII football and have all other sports be DI. This need to play all sports in the same division, they call it the Dayton Rule, so clearly Dayton f’d things up for everyone at some point. ;)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Schools like UConn made those moves because they fear the actions of the P5. As the P5 has taken over college football, there's long been the rumblings of those schools kicking the NCAA to the curb, and running the thing themselves. Now this may never happen, but the fear is there, and the fear is that schools outside of the P5 will be left behind. This is why UConn upgraded their football program, and is also why Pitt, WVU, and Syracuse high tailed it out of the BE. UConn had three shots to get into the P5. The first time was when the ACC did their second raid on the BE. The ACC looked hard at adding UConn along with Cuse, but objections by BC, and the ACC football schools made them choose Pitt instead. Pitt hoops at the time was good enough to satisfy the basketball schools, and their football history, and the fact that football is important there, was enough to make them palatable to Clemson, Miami, and FSU. When Maryland's exit reopened the door, it was pretty much the same thing. Louisville's basketball was on the same level as UConn, and while they don't have the football history Pitt has, they were rolling pretty good at the time of the opening. The football schools forced the choice of Louisville. The third chance was when the B12 looked at expansion. When this led to nothing, the folks at UConn knew the gig was up. Had the football program been a contender in the AAC (which is a pretty decent league), they may have held out hope that they could eventually get into the P5 club, but the team has been beyond horrible, so they made the obvious decision to put the basketball program first.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

* COUGH UMass
COUGH Temple
COUGH Charlotte
COUGH Buffalo *
OK time to reply, First of all both UMass and UConn have been playing football since the nineteenth century, not the twentieth.

This is my post from another board and applies here, we obviously refers to UMass.

WTF with this site, this post is too long!!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
UConn has mis-managed their athletic budget. Guessing men's and women's indoor and outdoor track is 4 of them. Curious if cross country and baseball are included etc.

"According to media reports, the University of Connecticut is laying the groundwork to eliminate multiple sports next month. Like every university, it is facing a daunting balance sheet due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the athletic department specifically has been hemorrhaging money for years, running a deficit in excess of $40 million last year. Athletic director David Benedict sent up a warning flare last week about cutting sports: “I think that’s going to be a decision that we have to make,” he told the Hartford Courant."

Stiil too long, WTF!

381 - 400 of 529 Posts