Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

421 - 440 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It's football, and you seat 17K, and big whoop, you outdrew teams playing 2.4x as many games in arenas that seat 2k-5k fans. Again, Steve, that's not the hill to die on.
Yes. This is the point. It’s football. Within the context of FBS college football, no, that is not anywhere near the type of support necessary to compete—let alone to not hemorrhage cash at the expense of non-revenue sports.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The big whoops is you saying
UConn isn’t the first and won’t be the last school to foolishly chase the FCS football dream (despite having no traditional base of support or infrastructure) only to see its broader athletics programs suffer and/or go under.
with no research or knowledge about UConn's mis-management or any particulars about UMass. Yes we have a right size stadium and even after a decade of terrible performance still are at 50% capacity. Basketball has several bad years and attendance craters. Despite the decade of terrible football performance, Gridiron Donations in 2019 donation were at an all time high. As with basketball, people are also passionate about football.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Yes. This is the point. It’s football. Within the context of FBS college football, no, that is not anywhere near the type of support necessary to compete—let alone to not hemorrhage cash at the expense of non-revenue sports.
The fact they think a 17k stadium is sufficient is exactly why UMass is never FBS material. I have no problem with football for UMass, but at FCS level. Same with UConn. The reality is that no New England state school has ever been FBS material. Its NFL land. Its pro sports heavy.

Michigan gets 111k per GAME. I threw a dart at crappy P5s, and got MissSt.. their worst home attendance average in 6 years and it was 56k per game.

Why invest the resources with no chance of return. Your school squandered the Calipari years bigly.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It can be argued that there is no New England school, public or private, that is truly FBS material. Same thing with New York. Eagles and Orange fans, the floor is yours.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It’s about defining who and what you are, grasping that identity, maximizing it as best you can, and not trying to be anyone else.

I mean that more about schools like BC, SU, and Pitt than I do UMass here. Had those schools not allowed fear to dictate their actions, then they’d be at a good, solid level of FBS that worked pretty well for each. We all know how the domino effect spread to our proud conference. Sigh.

Also, I did the whole “COUGH UMass, “COUGH Buffalo” thing, and this spiraled into a UMass thing. It’s more about UConn and its bungled and irresponsible quest for being something it isn’t.

Having said that, I hope for UMass’ sake that they return to being a really good FCS program. It would probably benefit basketball, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
New York State many years ago had historically great teams and players.....Syracuse with Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, or the Army teams in the late 40's and 50's, or the Fordham Rams with the 4 Horseman and the 7 Blocks of Granite.....and yes New England with the Ivy League of many years ago. That was then, now, not much.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #430
New York State many years ago had historically great teams and players.....Syracuse with Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, or the Army teams in the late 40's and 50's, or the Fordham Rams with the 4 Horseman and the 7 Blocks of Granite.....and yes New England with the Ivy League of many years ago. That was then, now, not much.
You might want to check on the 4 Horsemen location.

·
Piker
8,971 Posts
Did ya'll here that ole General Lee is about to be warehoused here in RVA? Quite a happening here. Sounds like he will be lifted off of Traveler and put in mothballs very soon.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Did ya'll here that ole General Lee is about to be warehoused here in RVA? Quite a happening here. Sounds like he will be lifted off of Traveler and put in mothballs very soon.
That should frazzle some Virginians, eh?

On the one hand, I appreciate acknowledging history and its nuances; on the other hand, those folks did sort of... uhhhhh... commit actual treason against the United States. It was only a matter of time before those statues came down, but these current events will probably accelerate that process in many places not named Mississippi, Alabama, etc.

·
Piker
8,971 Posts

On the one hand, I appreciate acknowledging history and its nuances; on the other hand, those folks did sort of... uhhhhh... commit actual treason against the United States. It was only a matter of time before those statues came down, but these current events will probably accelerate that process in many places not named Mississippi, Alabama, etc.
Ha! I am sure that it will make plenty of people sweat under their wool jackets. I won't miss it.
It is a huge statue and it sounds like they might remove Jeb, Stonewall, Maury and Jeff Davis to clean the street.
Here is what Robert and JEB look like these days.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts

On the one hand, I appreciate acknowledging history and its nuances; on the other hand, those folks did sort of... uhhhhh... commit actual treason against the United States.
Shocked no Davidson alum called you out on this. Several years ago was on their board and a poster give me a link or a document reference to see the southern point of view. Then from that you can see the southern point of view, the revolt was justified. Bill, you should really post the bolded on the Davidson board and see another point of view.

Doesn't mean I like it, but can understand the point, from their eyes the revolution was a duty and justified. Perhaps they will post the document. It was a document from our revolution from he Great Britain. It rang true for what they were going through, from the North.

That said that type of revolution is distinct from the racism that the right republicans seem to hold and not even try to place a thin vale over. It's sadly one step forward and two step backwards with the political swings affecting millions. It's awful, shameful, and currently sadly reality.

My 2 cents is the Communist leadership play book is similar to the far right play book, get control over the media and the messaging and attack everyone one that does not agree with their agenda.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Shocked no Davidson alum called you out on this. Several years ago was on their board and a poster give me a link or a document reference to see the southern point of view. Then from that you can see the southern point of view, the revolt was justified. Bill, you should really post the bolded on the Davidson board and see another point of view.

Doesn't mean I like it, but can understand the point, from their eyes the revolution was a duty and justified.
Oh, I know what the Confederate point of view was/is. It’s just bullshit.

Everything comes down to this: did they or did they not secede from, and then fire upon, their own government and countrymen? Yeah? It’s treasonous.

Our system works through a difficult system of checks and balances, but South Carolina fired on Fort Sumter. Disagreeing with a president or law(s) should be handled democratically... not through rebellion and violence. Just because a group of states and/or citizens vehemently disagrees with policies doesn’t give it the right to rise up violently.

Luckily for them, though, Andrew Johnson allowed their “way of life” to continue with far too much lenience during reconstruction’s infancy. We’re still dealing with the consequences of that today.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Everything comes down to this: did they or did they not secede from, and then fire upon, their own government and countrymen? Yeah? It’s treasonous.
Ehhh... I'm going to play devil's advocate for 1 brief paragraph here - they did secede, it was no longer their government (in their eyes) and they fired upon the military of what they considered an occupying government. It would be akin to firing the first shot at Concord against the red coats.

I don't say I agree with their actions, but in that context it's a lot grayer.

I'll now retreat :)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Ehhh... I'm going to play devil's advocate for 1 brief paragraph here - they did secede, it was no longer their government (in their eyes) and they fired upon the military of what they considered an occupying government. It would be akin to firing the first shot at Concord against the red coats.

I don't say I agree with their actions, but in that context it's a lot grayer.

I'll now retreat :)
That’s the problem, though, with looking at one’s state’s presence in this Union as some type of country club membership.

Sumter was a federal fort. South Carolinians simply “resigning” their membership of the aforementioned “country club” does not change that fact.

I suppose the part that bothers me is the seeming outlook that the federal government, its funding, and its power are only acceptable when it is directly benefitting a particular state/city/group. It isn’t that cut and dry, baby!

Sorry. I need the Bonnies back.

421 - 440 of 521 Posts