Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

461 - 480 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Yeah.. I hear that. I think in 1860 the concept of statehood, state's rights, and independence to a certain extent was way different than it is today. You could argue that the Civil War marked a dramatic shift from the idea that the country was a collection of states to it being a union. Federal powers expanded vastly in the 70 years post-civil war relative to the 70 years prior.
You have the locals in Massachusetts to be thanked or be upset about how the rebellion was spun/communicated to George Washington. That the Articles of Confederation were scrapped "The Shays's Rebellion: The American Revolution's Final Battle "

During the bitter winter of 1786-87, Daniel Shays, a modest farmer and Revolutionary War veteran, and his compatriot Luke Day led an unsuccessful armed rebellion against the state of Massachusetts. Their desperate struggle was fueled by the injustice of a regressive tax system and a conservative state government that seemed no better than British colonial rule. But despite the immediate failure of this local call-to-arms in the Massachusetts countryside, the event fundamentally altered the course of American history. Shays and his army of four thousand rebels so shocked the young nation's governing elite—even drawing the retired General George Washington back into the service of his country—that ultimately the Articles of Confederation were discarded in favor of a new constitution, the very document that has guided the nation for more than two hundred years, and brought closure to the American Revolution.

The importance of Shays's Rebellion has never been fully appreciated, chiefly because Shays and his followers have always been viewed as a small group of poor farmers and debtors protesting local civil authority. In Shays's Rebellion: The American Revolution's Final Battle, Leonard Richards reveals that this perception is misleading, that the rebellion was much more widespread than previously thought, and that the participants and their supporters actually represented whole communities—the wealthy and the poor, the influential and the weak, even members of some of the best Massachusetts families.

·
Piker
8,968 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
While born in Boston and from 5yrs old till 18 was in Medway, not far from Boxborough. Our track & field coach knew the coach at the time from Acton-Boxborough. For the past 32 years lived in Athol, near Petersham/Dana were Danial Shay congregated on the long march to Springfield. Dana and 4 other towns were flood in the 1930's so Metro Boston could have drinking water. Piss in the Quabbin Reservoir every time I'm there to give the Bostonians some extra flavor in their water.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yeah.. I hear that. I think in 1860 the concept of statehood, state's rights, and independence to a certain extent was way different than it is today. You could argue that the Civil War marked a dramatic shift from the idea that the country was a collection of states to it being a union. Federal powers expanded vastly in the 70 years post-civil war relative to the 70 years prior.
As a full time proponent of maintaining self-autonomy, I have to ask...

United States and United Nations is there a difference? And would anyone be upset if they did operate as if they were the same?

Breaking news...
The legislative bodies of the States of New York, Massachusetts, and California have been disbanded.
Laws for those states will now be decided by Voter Referendum...in Mississippi...
I wonder if anyone will rebel?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts

United States and United Nations is there a difference? And would anyone be upset if they did operate as if they were the same?

Breaking news...
The legislative bodies of the States of New York, Massachusetts, and California have been disbanded.
Laws for those states will now be decided by Voter Referendum...in Mississippi...

·
Registered
7,503 Posts

Breaking news...
This needs to be translated for those of us who didn't grow up in Crazytown.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
This needs to be translated for those of us who didn't grow up in Crazytown.
Ok, so if a member nation of the U.N. saw a security council resolution as the other member nations making a law for their nation, and decided to no longer be a member, what would happen?

i thought Bill would get it. Obviously he needs to catch up to me in the drinking department...

·
Piker
8,968 Posts
Post a video of your double, and I'll buy you a bourbon next time I'm through the RVA.
This was at a pool on the top of the mountain in Elkton, Va. I took my son and nephews to the Swift Run campground because their high dive and slide is awesome. Our board has more spring but I nailed it. My baggy swim shirt probably hurt my vertical.
http://instagr.am/p/CBHRWNvFxL8/

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Unless Bill's a liar, and, believe me, I'm not too sure he isn't, you'll have to wait for the season to start for him to catch up. Fortunately, it should only take a night ot two.
I am no liar! Not a sip of booze since the loss at SLU to end the regular season. I was about to crank it up for the A10s, but the liquor gods stepped in. Today was the closest I’ve come to breaking the dry out, but discipline reigned.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
This was at a pool on the top of the mountain in Elkton, Va. I took my son and nephews to the Swift Run campground because their high dive and slide is awesome. Our board has more spring but I nailed it. My baggy swim shirt probably hurt my vertical.
Something hurt your vertical. On a non-compliant diving board, we'll give that a 4.5.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Jon Rothstein's breakdown of the A-10 for 20-21.

461 - 480 of 513 Posts