Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

481 - 500 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Jon Rothstein's breakdown of the A-10 for 20-21.

Looks like SEVEN BIDS to me.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
From a long article in the Athletic about mascots:

St. Bonaventure Bonnies
From 1927-92, the southwest New York’s school’s teams went by the Brown Indians, a reference to its longtime color scheme and a nod to the local Seneca Nation. In 1992, the school decided to move away from Native American imagery and adopted its unofficial nickname as its official nickname. In 1996, it introduced a new mascot: Bona Fanatic, an ill-conceived nightmare wearing a yellow baseball cap on its head and a basketball on its face. In 1998, the school rolled out Bona Wolf to fix its mistake.
I especially like the "ill-conceived nightmare" part.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Saw this on the CSN board regarding the Patriot league will adjust schedules and avoid over night travel. This is possible for most A10 teams except St Louis. Dayton would have very long bus trips as well.

Wedge, a moderator over there posted this:

In recognition of the unprecedented challenges of COVID-19, the Patriot League Council of Presidents announces the following principles, which will guide the development of a Patriot League Fall 2020 Athletics Plan that makes the health and safety of our communities its highest priority:

Student-athletes will return to campus at the same time as other students;

-- Patriot League competition will begin at the end of September, with the expectation that League play will be completed prior to Thanksgiving;
-- Non-League competition will not begin prior to Friday, Sept. 4;
-- Patriot League member institutions will confirm that non-League competitors are following comparable health and safety protocols in advance of any contest; and,
-- No Patriot League teams will fly to competitions and, with rare exceptions, regular-season competition will exclude overnight travel.

Patriot League Athletics Directors and League staff will develop schedules to meet these criteria, which will be announced at a future date. Each campus is developing its own re-opening plan.

Patriot League Council of Presidents Announces Guidance Regarding 2020 Fall Competition

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Saw this on the CSN board regarding the Patriot league will adjust schedules and avoid over night travel. This is possible for most A10 teams except St Louis. Dayton would have very long bus trips as well.

Wedge, a moderator over there posted this:

In recognition of the unprecedented challenges of COVID-19, the Patriot League Council of Presidents announces the following principles, which will guide the development of a Patriot League Fall 2020 Athletics Plan that makes the health and safety of our communities its highest priority:

Student-athletes will return to campus at the same time as other students;

-- Patriot League competition will begin at the end of September, with the expectation that League play will be completed prior to Thanksgiving;
-- Non-League competition will not begin prior to Friday, Sept. 4;
-- Patriot League member institutions will confirm that non-League competitors are following comparable health and safety protocols in advance of any contest; and,
-- No Patriot League teams will fly to competitions and, with rare exceptions, regular-season competition will exclude overnight travel.

Patriot League Athletics Directors and League staff will develop schedules to meet these criteria, which will be announced at a future date. Each campus is developing its own re-opening plan.

Patriot League Council of Presidents Announces Guidance Regarding 2020 Fall Competition
I don't see how this will help. The young people I see aren't being careful at all. Once the students return, this thing is going to spread like wildfire through the various campuses around the country.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I don't see how this will help. The young people I see aren't being careful at all. Once the students return, this thing is going to spread like wildfire through the various campuses around the country.
And the majority of the students will get sick, recover, and be fine. Vast majority. I would have concern for faculty/staff that may be in the older age ranges or be "less healthy" than 18-22 year-olds. The data from CDC and state health departments suggest an IFR in the 1:10000+ range for student-aged population. I'm not saying that 1 isn't an important life but there's as good a chance of dying traveling back to college in 2 months. They should preach self-protection, especially among the middle-age+ on campus. We've heard nothing about vaccine lately. European data is suggesting the virus is weakening. There won't be colleges to go to if we stay in our proverbial bunkers and don't get back to life. They're bleeding $millions.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Fall sports season will soon be here. UMass and other universities are making tentative plan.
Here is a snippet from a longer article.

Testing
When athletes in all sports arrive on campus in Amherst, they’ll be tested and quarantined for 48 hours - likely in UMass’ Campus Center hotel. Upon a negative result they’ll move to their campus quarters.

How much testing follows that has yet to be determined. UMass is currently using tests that cost between $60-65 and are looking at tests that could soon be available at $30-40 according to Bamford. Professional teams are testing their players daily. That’s simple financially feasible at most schools including UMass.

Ryan Bamford, UMass football, athletics trying to anticipate all possibilities as they prepare to play during pandemic

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
And the majority of the students will get sick, recover, and be fine. Vast majority. I would have concern for faculty/staff that may be in the older age ranges or be "less healthy" than 18-22 year-olds. The data from CDC and state health departments suggest an IFR in the 1:10000+ range for student-aged population. I'm not saying that 1 isn't an important life but there's as good a chance of dying traveling back to college in 2 months. They should preach self-protection, especially among the middle-age+ on campus. We've heard nothing about vaccine lately. European data is suggesting the virus is weakening. There won't be colleges to go to if we stay in our proverbial bunkers and don't get back to life. They're bleeding $millions.
Death isn't the only bad outcome of COVID-19. Some people, who were very healthy to begin with (including people I know personally) are still recovering multiple months in. This includes not being able to be physically active, and in some cases not being able to be active at all for an extended period - meaning if they needed to get to and from (plus actually take) classes, they might not be able to handle it.

This is all often overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
From the NY Times: "Apart from avoiding crowded indoor spaces, the most effective thing people can do is wear masks, all of the experts said. Even if masks don’t fully shield you from droplets loaded with virus, they can cut down the amount you receive, and perhaps bring it below the infectious dose. "
This really seems to be the key. The fewer viruses you breathe in, the less likely you are to become infected, and if you do become infected, the less severe it's likely to be. If everyone would mask up, and do it correctly, we could get through this. "It's hard to breathe" the knuckleheads cry. Try breathing with covid, or worse yet, with a ventilator tube down your throat.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
If everyone would mask up, and do it correctly, we could get through this. "It's hard to breathe" the knuckleheads cry. Try breathing with covid, or worse yet, with a ventilator tube down your throat.
Yep. It’s totally f’ing insane, but this is what we get when even the free press is heavily politicized. Objective truth and independent, peer reviewed research becomes some type of “deep state” conspiracy. Come the f*** on, people.

481 - 500 of 513 Posts