Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

501 - 520 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
100% - mask the hell up.

Give every incoming freshman a pack of university branded facemasks at orientation and sell them at campus stores for everyone else. Include free ones as part of scholarships or for people on financial aide/work study.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
I see the statues coming down on Monument Avenue.

·
Piker
10,125 Posts
I see the statues coming down on Monument Avenue.
Yes. Yesterday Tom Fool...as Stonewall was known by his students...was taken down and stored at the wastewater treatment plant. Today they have removed Maury and a cannon. My guess is that after lunch they will remove JEB Stuart.

FYI: The largest statue of Robert E. Lee is owned by the state and a judge has put a hold on his removal so he will be the last to go.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,688 Posts
I don’t see the issue with these statues being placed on battlefield grounds or museums. Maybe that could be a compromise?

·
Piker
10,125 Posts
I don’t see the issue with these statues being placed on battlefield grounds or museums. Maybe that could be a compromise?
They have not figured it out yet. My guess is that is exactly what will happen.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,688 Posts
I'm not so sure. I'm guessing that there's another battle at Gettysburg brewing.
That would be flummoxing. Eliminating representation of major contributors to any battlefield is an asinine concept. Our improved collective awareness in 2020 doesn’t mean Robert E. Lee shouldn’t be memorialized on the grounds of a hugely important American event like Gettysburg. I’m certainly against Confederate monuments in cities and around government buildings, but relevant historical settings are entirely appropriate.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
That would be flummoxing. Eliminating representation of major contributors to any battlefield is an asinine concept. Our improved collective awareness in 2020 doesn’t mean Robert E. Lee shouldn’t be memorialized on the grounds of a hugely important American event like Gettysburg. I’m certainly against Confederate monuments in cities and around government buildings, but relevant historical settings are entirely appropriate.
So my suggestion of the Governor’s Mansion, General Assembly, Courthouse, and a Central Polling Facility are not ideal?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
So, Bill, how would you feel about a Nathan Bedford Forrest monument at the site of Fort Pillow?

Descriptive markers are one thing, heroic statues are going to be something else again.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,688 Posts
So, Bill, how would you feel about a Nathan Bedford Forrest monument at the site of Fort Pillow?

Descriptive markers are one thing, heroic statues are going to be something else again.
Good point. A guy like Forrest is a no-go, so it’s a good point that picking and choosing Confederates to include and omit could get messy.

Some type of contextual marker/plaque would help with some of the more benign figures.

·
Piker
10,125 Posts
Reactions: Bill Russell
501 - 520 of 952 Posts