Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

541 - 560 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you're an independent, and conferences are only playing conference games...did "you" really cancel your season?
There are enough non-Notre Dame independents out there to get a handful of games (6 teams, so up to 5 right there unless you want to do home and homes like Liberty and NMSU did in 2019). Then there are power 5 conferences that are doing a "conference +1" schedule, and the AAC announced they will do an 8 +4 (up to 4).

There were enough teams out there to try and throw something together, but they've blown all their money already and have basically given up entirely.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
Then there are power 5 conferences that are doing a "conference +1" schedule,
If the Big 10, and the SEC, for example are only playing conference schedules, how are there 5 power conferences doing +1 ?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If the Big 10, and the SEC, for example are only playing conference schedules, how are there 5 power conferences doing +1 ?
Because I didn't say "all power 5 conferences" and the ACC and Big 12 are both playing +1 schedules? 10+1 for the ACC and 9+1 for the Big 12.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #546
My bad. I put a "the" in front of "power 5."
The power of suggestion I guess.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well it's probably all a moot point anyway since the (emphasis on "the" this time) power 5 looks to be cancelling the fall season sometime this week!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Anyone following baseball? I looked at the AL standings this morning and noticed JonBoy's Birds were playing .600 ball and are only 2 games out of first. This may be Earl's best managing job of his career.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I haven’t really been watching, mainly because no cable, but I have been keeping up with them. Who knows what’s happening, probably the advantage of already playing in front of no fans.

This would be an Orioles thing to happen, though. Play great in a meaningless season and mess up their draft picks in a rebuild. Ah well, F the Yanks, Sox, and Nats. Go O’s!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It is a weird season. The O's, Marlins and Tigers were all playoff teams until the Tigers got swept by Cleveland.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
In the RVA..........

Richmond Athletics
2d ·
𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙈𝙤𝙨𝙩 𝘽𝙚𝙖𝙪𝙩𝙞𝙛𝙪𝙡 𝘾𝙖𝙢𝙥𝙪𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝘾𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙮
The University of Richmond received numerous top-ten recognitions from The Princeton Review in their 2021 College Guide, including the most beautiful campus and No. 7 best athletic facilities in the country!
#OneRichmond
Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor, text that says 'RECOGNIZED AS THE #1 MOST BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS BY THE PRINCETON REVIEW uita m血血台'
Image may contain: sky and outdoor, text that says '#4 BEST-RUN RUN COLLEGES #6 BEST CAREER SERVICES #6 BEST SCHOOLS FOR INTERNSHIPS #7 BEST ATHLETIC TIC FACILITIES #9 BEST CLASSROOM EXPERIENCE #9 BEST QUALITY LIFE #11 BEST COLLEGE LIBRARY #11 BEST COUNSELING SERVICES #12 THEIR STUDENTS LOVE THESE COLLEGES #13 MOST POPULAR STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM #14 BEST CAMPUS FOOD #14 HAPPIEST STUDENTS #15 MOST ACCESSIBLE PROFESSORS #19 PROFESSORS GET HIGH MARKS RICHMOND ROBINS STADIU RECOGNIZED BY THE PRINCETON REVIEW'

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
"Based on student ratings of the beauty of their campuses"

I can't disagree, UR is nice.

Bona students must have been asleep at the wheel or polling was done in February.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
UR is definitely gorgeous. It has no dramatic settings, imo, but nearly every part of campus is made for the camera. It's the kind of place that a location scout would choose for a remake of "Mr. Belvedere Goes to College".

·
Registered
555 Posts
During my time, Dawson's Creek filmed there some, using it as a stand-in for an unnamed Ivy League college. There was also a bit of shooting for the short-lived Commander in Chief, as Geena Davis's character was written as having been chancellor of UR before ending up as president.

·
Piker
9,050 Posts
Since we are talking about UR I have something to add to the miscellaneous talk. I shot a story yesterday regarding Henrico County announcing their new police chief. It is Eric English a former Spider. I was talking to one of the board of supervisors who just had a nephew commit to UR (Jason Nelson). We were both talking about English and I made a guess that he came to UR just after VCU had a great season finishing in the top 10. I made the statement that I kind of remember that Spider team from 1985 to 89 was maybe their best ever. After the presser I went to Google and I could not believe my memory was correct. That team made the sweet 16 in 1988. My memory was foggy because Johnny Newman and that 87-88 roster kind of runs together in my mind. English was on a roster with Ken Atkinson (former Brooklyn Nets coach--soon to be Sixers coach?) and Curtis Blair (NBA ref) among others. Anyway, Chief of Police English brought back some bad memories for me. Ha! He is cool though. I talked with him a bit and I have have met him over the years. Pretty sure he helped take UR further than a team he played with earlier that consisted of Pete Woolfolk and Newman.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
AA - secret Spider at heart.
(never underestimate the power of the spouse)

·
Piker
9,050 Posts
AA - secret Spider at heart.
(never underestimate the power of the spouse)
Not really. It comes from being in the same city and being a rival. I also used to shoot sports back then and I covered the CAA, Sun Belt, ACC and CIAA. VCU had Phil Stinnie an all-time great that carried VCU back then. VCU was coming off great success and easing into what I deem as the dark ages of our program. UR was doing great during that time.

Reactions: ace93

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Since we are talking about UR I have something to add to the miscellaneous talk. I shot a story yesterday regarding Henrico County announcing their new police chief. It is Eric English a former Spider. I was talking to one of the board of supervisors who just had a nephew commit to UR (Jason Nelson). We were both talking about English and I made a guess that he came to UR just after VCU had a great season finishing in the top 10. I made the statement that I kind of remember that Spider team from 1985 to 89 was maybe their best ever. After the presser I went to Google and I could not believe my memory was correct. That team made the sweet 16 in 1988. My memory was foggy because Johnny Newman and that 87-88 roster kind of runs together in my mind. English was on a roster with Ken Atkinson (former Brooklyn Nets coach--soon to be Sixers coach?) and Curtis Blair (NBA ref) among others. Anyway, Chief of Police English brought back some bad memories for me. Ha! He is cool though. I talked with him a bit and I have have met him over the years. Pretty sure he helped take UR further than a team he played with earlier that consisted of Pete Woolfolk and Newman.
I always remember him doing more than he actually did. He had the bad luck of being a freshman when Rodney Rice transferred in as a sophomore (my senior year).
So was stuck behind him for 3 years until he beat out freshman Curtis Blair when English was a senior.
English, Winiecki, and Benjy Taylor were the bench for 1986,1987,1988 before getting to shine their senior year.
Atkinson, Winiecki, and Taylor all went into coaching.

541 - 560 of 585 Posts